CWS - Georgia vs. Miami - 1st round matchup

scenario

A chance to see Gordon Beckham play in the CWS.

Georgia: 41-23-1

Coach: David Perno (247-182,-1, 7th season)

How they got here: After winning the SEC regular season crown, the Bulldogs dropped their first game of the Athens Regional to Lipscomb. They've been outstanding since that point. The Bulldogs defeated rival Georgia Tech twice to win the Athens Regional, and took two of three from N.C. State over the weekend to punch their ticket to Omaha.

Key Players: The Bulldogs enter the CWS with a .309 team batting average and a 4.82 team ERA. Shortstop Gordon Beckham leads the team with a .401 batting average, 26 homers and 72 RBIs. First baseman Rich Poythress is hitting .370 with 15 homers and 67 RBIs, while veterans Bryce Massanari and Ryan Peisel each have double-digit home run totals. The Georgia pitching staff is led by starting pitcher Trevor Holder and Joshua Fields. Holder is 8-4 with a 4.34 ERA in 87 innings of work, while Fields is one of the nation's premier closers with 16 saves and a 2.76 ERA in 32 2/3 innings of work.

CWS Synopsis: The Bulldogs played great baseball throughout the regular season, but failed to impress in the SEC Tournament. Since that point, Georgia has gotten back to business and is once again playing good baseball. Georgia plays with a lot of passion, and is incredibly tough to slow down when the offense is on a roll. Georgia's starting pitching likely will determine its fate in the College World Series.

Miami: 52-9

Coach: Jim Morris (694-254-2, 15th season at Miami)

How they got here: After winning the ACC regular season and tournament crowns, the Hurricanes entered the NCAA Tournament a confident club. The 'Canes have yet to disappoint. After winning the Coral Gables Regional with ease, the Hurricanes battled back from a Super Regional series opening loss to Arizona to advance to the College World Series.

Key Players: Miami heads to Omaha with a .322 team batting average a 3.93 team ERA. The Hurricanes are led at the plate by junior first baseman Yonder Alonso, who's hitting .367 with 23 homers and 71 RBIs. Second baseman Jemile Weeks is hitting .367 with 11 homers and 59 RBIs, while outfielder Blake Tekotte and shortstop Ryan Jackson are each hitting over .350. The Hurricanes also have a very good pitching staff with freshman left-hander Chris Hernandez and relievers Kyle Bellamy and Carlos Gutierrez leading the charge. Hernandez is 11-0 with a 2.62 ERA in 106 1/3 innings, while Bellamy has a 1.97 ERA and Gutierrez has a 3.02 ERA and 13 saves.

CWS Synopsis: Miami joins North Carolina as the most balanced teams in the College World Series. The Hurricanes love to put pressure on opposing defenses, while the pitching staff has been vastly underrated for much of the season. Because of their balance and ability to succeed in clutch situations, Miami is our pick to win the national title.

Edited by scenario

Yonder Alonso just hit a home run in the bottom of the 7th to give Miami a 4-3 lead.

That guy has a great looking swing. Looks like a pro hitter right now.

Didn't realize that he also leads the entire country in walks with 76. :o

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Jun 14, 2008 -> 08:39 PM)
Yonder Alonso just hit a home run in the bottom of the 7th to give Miami a 4-3 lead.

That guy has a great looking swing. Looks like a pro hitter right now.

Didn't realize that he also leads the entire country in walks with 76. :o

With him, Votto, and Bruce, the Reds potentially have a great lefty trio. Looks like they are going to move Votto to LF, if everything goes as planned, since Alonso can only play 1B (he is about as slow as you get though).

Georgia started the top of the 9th down 4-2, facing Miami's closer who is one of the best in the country (and who is the Twins first round draft pick).

In fact, Miami, coming into this game, was 45-0 when leading entering the 9th inning with a lead.

What happens?

Georgia scores 5 runs to take a 7-4 lead.

Game still in progress.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 14, 2008 -> 08:08 PM)
With him, Votto, and Bruce, the Reds potentially have a great lefty trio. Looks like they are going to move Votto to LF, if everything goes as planned, since Alonso can only play 1B (he is about as slow as you get though).

I've heard people say Alonso is slow, so I expected him to be some big body Prince Fielder type. Not at all. He looks pretty athletic to me. I didn't see him run though. But I did see him trot. :P

Edited by scenario

Also, I heard some people on the board say Beckham is small???

He's not small. He looks like a very muscular athletic type. And he has a very impressive swing. Now I understand where the power numbers come from. His power is no fluke.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the nickname Slayer, but where did it originate? Hopefully he has a big game tomorrow and leads Georgia to the ultimate glory in college baseball. He's a fun player to watch, the limited time I've seen him makes me see why he's compared to Michael Young.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 10:41 PM)
I like the nickname Slayer, but where did it originate? Hopefully he has a big game tomorrow and leads Georgia to the ultimate glory in college baseball. He's a fun player to watch, the limited time I've seen him makes me see why he's compared to Michael Young.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?s=...t&p=1660599