Bill Bavasi Fired

DBAHO

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jun 16, 2008 -> 06:46 PM)
No surprise really, he was really the worst GM in the game today;

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/mari..._webmari16.html

I think it's kinda funny how little reaction this got today.

He's made some really poor decisions, but to give him his due, I think he did a good job putting together a pitching staff for this year. Two aces, two league-average guys, and hopefully a serviceable 5th starter in Batista. I really thought that part would be better this year. The offense, not so much. (Though I don't think anyone could've expected the tragedy that was Richie Sexson when they signed him.) A little bad luck, but a lot more bad judgment.

So is there any word on what they're gonna do? Blow it up or try to make a run next year?

He has made some terrible decisions though.

Overpaying for Beltre and Sexson.

Trading Rafael Soriano for Horatio Ramirez.

Signing Wilkerson for $3M and then cutting him.

He's just done nothing to fix that offense really.

My guess is, they blow it up and build around Bedard, Felix and Ichiro.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jun 16, 2008 -> 07:37 PM)

I'd expect them to trade Bedard if they're blowing it up. They only control him through next year and he'll be one of their best chips. Ichiro will stick no matter what, but at his age I don't know that they'd really build around him.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jun 16, 2008 -> 07:37 PM)

A few more-

signing Carlos Silva for four yrs at about 10 million per when a guy like Kyle Lohse, who he is very similar to, got a 1 year deal.

trading Asdrubal Cabrera (yea I know he's been awful this year) for Eduardo Perez

trading Shin-Soo Choo for Ben Broussard

Bavasi has some comments about Erik Bedard while walking out the door:

We asked him about Bedard and his unwillingness to go past 100 pitches...

"You have to ask him and I know that's no fun. And he's going to have a stupid answer for you can count on it. He's going to have some dumb-ass answer."

"He's either gassed because he's laboring. He's protecting himself because he knows even he sticks around and is mediocre he gets another 2 million bucks lopped onto his salary."

"Why doesn't he go longer? It's a real pointed question. But you need to ask him. And good luck with that."

A few more-

signing Carlos Silva for four yrs at about 10 million per when a guy like Kyle Lohse, who he is very similar to, got a 1 year deal.

trading Asdrubal Cabrera (yea I know he's been awful this year) for Eduardo Perez

trading Shin-Soo Choo for Ben Broussard

Freddy Garcia trade

Did he trade Carlos Guillen to the Tigers?

Jojihma's pointless extension

Paying $3.5 million for Carl Everett as the full time DH and then cutting him

Washburn's deal

Batista's deal

Mariners To Release Sexson

Kirby Arnold of the Everett Herald is reporting that the Mariners will release Richie Sexson, and it could happen in the next week.

According to one person familiar with moves that are planned, Sexson will be let go, possibly within days. The timing is not set because the team is dealing with other personnel issues that go beyond the procedures for moving Sexson.

Sexson is still due about half of his '08 salary of $14MM. This was the last year of a 4-year/$50MM deal.

This move shouldn't come as a big surprise. After the firing of Bill Bavasi, the M's are clearly ready to shake up the roster and Sexson's contract was dead-weight.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jun 18, 2008 -> 11:29 AM)
Freddy Garcia trade

Did he trade Carlos Guillen to the Tigers?

Jojihma's pointless extension

Paying $3.5 million for Carl Everett as the full time DH and then cutting him

Washburn's deal

Batista's deal

I think so, on Guillen.

Johjima's deal was pretty ridiculous, too.

How is noone mentioning Vidro? Trading for a well-paid, light-hitting 2b to be your dh. That's one of my all-time favorite Bavasi memories.

Ha.

They also released Jorge Campillo

I forgot about Chris Reitsma robbing them of a few million when everyone knew he was an injury risk.

They got very little for Winn putting up a monster half with the Giants

Scott Spiezio was horrible for $6 million. (not sure if that was his too)

Forgot to add $3.15 million for Rich Aurilia and signing Jeff Weaver.

Edited by santo=dorf

news from mlbtraderumors.com

All kinds of Mariners turmoil. They could look to acquire a center fielder given the move back to right for Ichiro. Releases of Richie Sexson and Jose Vidro could be on the agenda. And chemistry problems abound, with Ichiro and Kenji Johjima at the center.

The Ms might consider Chris Antonetti and David Forst for the GM job, but both could choose to wait for the position to open up on their current teams.

I know this may seem farfetched, but does anyone think that KW can fleece Ichiro from the Mariners, would JR be willing to take on that contract?

Edited by kyyle23

Right now, if there was ANY chance that Ichiro was available, I'd move heaven and earth to bring him to the Southside.

Unfortunately, we're not exactly loaded with prospects, and the M's would want at least 2 if not more out of Danks / Floyd / Quentin etc.

But yes, from all the moves named above by jackie and santo, how on earth did Bavasi keep his job for over 5 seasons, with a negative record to boot?

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 19, 2008 -> 10:40 AM)

I know this may seem farfetched, but does anyone think that KW can fleece Ichiro from the Mariners, would JR be willing to take on that contract?

Ichiro would put butts in seats (and open up the Japanese market again, imaging the merchandising etc.), so you're not really paying him $20M a season in that regard.

For that type of "superstar", yeah I think JR would, and he should, if the price was right.

I wonder if the M's would be interested in Swisher actually.

They need a 1B/CF with Johjima and Reed there currently, and LHH's do well at Safeco.

Swisher + Poreda + Broadway + something else for Ichiro maybe?

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jun 19, 2008 -> 07:58 AM)
I wonder if the M's would be interested in Swisher actually.

They need a 1B/CF with Johjima and Reed there currently, and LHH's do well at Safeco.

Swisher + Poreda + Broadway + something else for Ichiro maybe?

For a talent like Ichiro, most teams would move heaven and earth to get him. Think the Yankees would suddenly be willing to part with Hughes and Kennedy? Or the Red Sox with Ellsbury and Lester?

In other words, you're not getting a guy like Ichiro with a piecemeal package.

Floyd + Danks + Swisher might pull it off, or Floyd + Danks + Fields, or maybe something centered around Quentin. But right now there isn't anything in our minor leagues nearly strong enough to outbid what other teams would put up if Ichiro were seriously on the market.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 19, 2008 -> 11:40 AM)

No and no.

Is the idea that Ichiro and Johjima don't like each other, or that they're both disgruntled with the Mariners? (Cuz Johjima especially has zero right to b**** about the team's performance.)

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jun 19, 2008 -> 11:45 AM)
Right now, if there was ANY chance that Ichiro was available, I'd move heaven and earth to bring him to the Southside.

Unfortunately, we're not exactly loaded with prospects, and the M's would want at least 2 if not more out of Danks / Floyd / Quentin etc.

But yes, from all the moves named above by jackie Whitesoxfan1986 and santo, how on earth did Bavasi keep his job for over 5 seasons, with a negative record to boot?

Fixed. I only mentioned Vidro. (Although that's probably my absolute favorite.)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 19, 2008 -> 11:27 AM)
For a talent like Ichiro, most teams would move heaven and earth to get him. Think the Yankees would suddenly be willing to part with Hughes and Kennedy? Or the Red Sox with Ellsbury and Lester?

In other words, you're not getting a guy like Ichiro with a piecemeal package.

Floyd + Danks + Swisher might pull it off, or Floyd + Danks + Fields, or maybe something centered around Quentin. But right now there isn't anything in our minor leagues nearly strong enough to outbid what other teams would put up if Ichiro were seriously on the market.

If you could re-sign Crede right now to a 3-4 year deal (if he fires Bora$$, which has been rumored), I would deal Fields in a Ichiro package.

I'd offer Swisher + Fields + Broadway and / or Poreda for Ichiro, and that'd be it, I'd want to hang onto Floyd and Danks.

But of course, the M's have Beltre at 3rd, but they could always use Fields at 1B for a season or 2.

The Yankees have Damon, so I don't really see them after a leadoff hitter. They need Sabathia more than they need Ichiro. The Red Sox on the other hand, I could certainly see that happening, especially considering they have Buckholz in AAA.