Mets Fire Randolph, Manuel Named Interim

Cochise

...I really thought you were joking, i wrote it in my diary that you made a very funny joke today...Wow. I thought they wanted to win, but hey he led us charging into the humiliating sweep in seattle in 2000 maybe he can do it again

QUOTE (TCQ @ Jun 17, 2008 -> 08:12 AM)
...I really thought you were joking, i wrote it in my diary that you made a very funny joke today...Wow. I thought they wanted to win, but hey he led us charging into the humiliating sweep in seattle in 2000 maybe he can do it again

And Ozzie led the Sox to getting swept in Detroit and losing 2 out of 3 to the Rockies. Don't blame the manager on 3 freaking games. How is it Manuel's fault that Thomas and Konerko didn't get a hit the entire series?

Actually I hope the Mets go on a huge run now. I would be happy for Manuel. They have a lot of talent there but for some reason they totally tuned Randolph out. Watching Baseball Tonight yesterday, it seems the Mets are dysfunctional in their front office structure with reporting relationships and other things. They should've let Randolph go a few weeks ago, supposedly this was a huge distraction on everyone.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 17, 2008 -> 08:20 AM)
And Ozzie led the Sox to getting swept in Detroit and losing 2 out of 3 to the Rockies. Don't blame the manager on 3 freaking games. How is it Manuel's fault that Thomas and Konerko didn't get a hit the entire series?

Because its always the managers fault, silly.

They fired Rick Peterson also the esteemed pitching coach.Players such as Delgado have massively underachieved.

Minaya deserves at least some of the blame for signing aging injury prone players such as Alou.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jun 17, 2008 -> 08:57 AM)
They fired Rick Peterson also the esteemed pitching coach.Players such as Delgado have massively underachieved.

Minaya deserves at least some of the blame for signing aging injury prone players such as Alou.

Bingo.

Trading for Santana helped...but he did nothing to address their pathetic bullpen. Their bullpen is one of if not the worst in baseball. When you have such a weakness like that, it's the GM's job to do everything possible to fill that hole.

Omar didn't.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jun 17, 2008 -> 08:57 AM)

no doubt about it...minaya is simple not a good GM....he came to a team with two budding superstars and a ton of money to spend....

he oversigned beltran, traded for an expensive and over the hill delgado, way oversigned pedro, and frankly IMO way oversigned on santana

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 17, 2008 -> 05:11 AM)
Jerry Manuel is not a bad manager

This is true. He's actually a pretty good manager for a young team, where patience is required. That said, the Mets aren't that team and I don't see him doing much better than Randolph.

And nice move by the Mets to fire Randolph via a press release in the middle of the night when he's 3,000 miles away. They rival the Blue Jays in the class department.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 17, 2008 -> 07:20 AM)

Chad Bradford

Lou Pinella

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 17, 2008 -> 05:20 AM)

I'll fire these 2 games back:

Neal Cotts starting in New York with Mark Buehrle ready to go on normal rest because of an off day.

Esteban Loaiza going in Minnesota to open the biggest series of the season with a bad illness.

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ Jun 17, 2008 -> 07:34 AM)
The way they handled this was classless. They flew him out to LA and fired him in the middle of the night after he'd won a game. There's no reason to handle it that way.

I don't know which part had less class, the way he was fired or they way they kept him dangling for so long at the end of a string. This is an obnoxious finish, but the obnoxious way they handled the last couple months could easily have cost them their season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 17, 2008 -> 11:04 AM)
I'll fire these 2 games back:

Neal Cotts starting in New York with Mark Buehrle ready to go on normal rest because of an off day.

Esteban Loaiza going in Minnesota to open the biggest series of the season with a bad illness.

The Cotts-Buehrle thing was a bad decision, and it felt like Manuel's Waterloo.

But I always admired Manuel, and I don't think he was a bad manager. When the Sox fired him, it seemed he had lost the team, so it was the right move. But he doesn't deserve any ridicule -- save it and dump it on Bevington's pile -- and he could be just fine for the Mets the rest of the way. He's not going to turn things around himself, but he won't get in the way.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 17, 2008 -> 09:05 AM)
I don't know which part had less class, the way he was fired or they way they kept him dangling for so long at the end of a string. This is an obnoxious finish, but the obnoxious way they handled the last couple months could easily have cost them their season.

Skip Bayless suggested that Minaya hung on to Randolph to deflect blame from himself. I don't exactly hold his opinion in high esteem, but he may have a point.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 17, 2008 -> 09:17 AM)
Skip Bayless suggested that Minaya hung on to Randolph to deflect blame from himself. I don't exactly hold his opinion in high esteem, but he may have a point.

Considering how much having this hanging over their heads probably hurt the team, if he's actually right, then the GM's an idiot. If this just kept hanging, they'd be almost guaranteed to be losing since it's such an obnoxious distraction...and losing would put Minaya's job in jeopardy also even if someone else is taking part of the blame.

Right now, they're just lacking in offense and a decent pen, although Wagner has been good save for this week.

Ryan Church has been their best hitter, which shows you how well the likes of Beltran, Delgado etc. have done so far. Although David Wright would probably be up there also, he's performed fairly well so far.

They're stuck with an aging Luis Castillo for 4 seasons also.

Getting Santana was a great move though (even though Gomez has been quite good for Minny so far).

Beltran hasn't really been the same player since his contract season in Houston.

Another case of Adrian Beltre syndrome I guess, although Beltran is still a very, very good player.

At least it's not Andruw Jones type of production (remember how much people wanted to sign him over the off-season)?