6/20 Game Thread - CWS @ CHC, 1:20pm CT

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

STILL OZZIE'S FAULT!!!!!

STFU. I'm tired of people defending Ozzie. He didn't put us in the best position to win. The outcome itself could be a direct result of it.

Ozzie blew this game. We'd be in a much better position to win if he'd left Danks in or Brought Linebrink for the heart of the order in the 7th.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 03:18 PM)
STFU. I'm tired of people defending Ozzie. He didn't put us in the best position to win. The outcome itself could be a direct result of it.

Ozzie blew this game. We'd be in a much better position to win if he'd left Danks in or Brought Linebrink for the heart of the order in the 7th.

Linebrink gave up a homer to the only batter he faced. Why is it assumed he would have done better?

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 01:18 PM)
I understand Linebrink is our best guy but you really have to bring your closer in for that situation, thats a closer type situation.

Not really. If Jenks shuts them down in the 9th, you can't put him back in there in the 10th, 11th, 12th, etc.

This is what happens when you don't take advantage of a mediocre pitcher like Lilly and leave too many on base.

This game pissed me off, no doubt. But ya know when I screamed the absolute loudest at my TV? When Mr. Veteran, Jim Thome, steps to the plate and not only swings at the first pitch he sees but was HITTING TO THE 3B SIDE!!!! An inside out swing. As a veteran he better know damn well what to do in that situation, work the count and pull the ball. He did neither, nor did he attempt to do either. Retire Jim.

Linebrink gave up a homer to the only batter he faced. Why is it assumed he would have done better?

Why is it assumed he wouldn't? That's not the point anyway. You're supposed to put your team in the best position to win. Ozzie didn't do that. In fact, when it actually requires a bit of thinking, he never does. I understand we lost because of a different set of circumstances, but the game could have gone entirely different if Ozzie had made the right move. Maybe we still lose. But if we do at least we know our Manager gave us the best opportunity to win. But he didn't.

Edited by TheBigHurt

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 03:18 PM)
I understand Linebrink is our best guy but you really have to bring your closer in for that situation, thats a closer type situation.

Oh well, we should knock up Marquis tomorrow but Contreras can be just as bad.

So wait, Ozzie was wrong not to use Linebrink, and was wrong using Linebrink in a non save situation. Got it.

our offense is very frustrating

Not when we bash home runs or leadoff doubles.

Any other time it's inept and maddening.

We deserved to lose only because we had Lilly on the ropes so many times and could have broken the game open and kept them reeling after their 3 losses to the Rays.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 03:19 PM)
Wow that was a complete let down....this offense is ridiculous. They have to do a lot better with RISP. I still don't get why you pull Danks when he only has 85 pitches....

That wasn't a bad decision, it's not Ozzie's fault Dotel sucked it up.

Blame his offensive decisions. Not bunting with Anderson doubling and Jim Thome up? In that situation, you put in Ozuna or Wise and you bunt him over. At least get him over on a grounder to the right side. Cabrera probably could of gotten the run in with a sac fly. We had so many opportunities, screwed them all up.

It's too bad Cabrera almost had a 2 run shot in the 7th, it just missed the foul pole.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 03:17 PM)
RISP with a righy on the mound and 0 outs? Thome ought to have been up there for the RBI chance. That's not a bad move.

I like Thome, but he's been either or 2nd or 3rd worst hitter this season. Instead of going for the 2 run homer in that situation, the much smarter move would have been try and move the runner over to 3rd base.

I'd take a guy on 3rd with 1 out over a guy on 2nd with none out any day of the week.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 03:21 PM)
Right, so it's definitley fine we just played awful baseball.

Except for 3 or 4 games this year, Dotel has pretty much been unhittable. The 7th inning is his. The 8th would have been Linebrink's and the 9th would have been Jenks'. It didn't work out. It doesn't always. I don't like Ozzie as a manager, but I can't fault him today.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 04:19 PM)
Not really. If Jenks shuts them down in the 9th, you can't put him back in there in the 10th, 11th, 12th, etc.

This is what happens when you don't take advantage of a mediocre pitcher like Lilly and leave too many on base.

He hit a sinker down and in out into the jet stream. This is why the cubs win so much at home.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 03:22 PM)
I like Thome, but he's been either or 2nd or 3rd worst hitter this season. Instead of going for the 2 run homer in that situation, the much smarter move would have been try and move the runner over to 3rd base.

I'd take a guy on 3rd with 1 out over a guy on 2nd with none out any day of the week.

Exactly, Ozzie's probably thinking, "I can get a two run homer here and be good with it." Truth of the matter is, Thome's a terrible hitter late in the game! And he showed it!

WHAT HAPPENED TO OZZIE BALL, OZZIE?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 03:21 PM)

Blame his offensive decisions. Not bunting with Anderson doubling and Jim Thome up? In that situation, you put in Ozuna or Wise and you bunt him over. At least get him over on a grounder to the right side. Cabrera probably could of gotten the run in with a sac fly. We had so many opportunities, screwed them all up.

It's too bad Cabrera almost had a 2 run shot in the 7th, it just missed the foul pole.

With a runner on 3rd, and Cabrera supposedly being good at small ball (we haven't seen it this year as Ozzie has refused to use any form of run-manufacturing this season), a squeeze would have made perfect sense.

Edited by BearSox

chw2 we don't move runners over. That's not our game. We can't bunt.

Anderson had a triple and didn't take it.

We don't bunt. We are a classic AL team and hit home runs. If OC would have hit his we probably would have won.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 03:21 PM)

The White Sox are a poor bunting team. Bunting against a guy who throws as hard as Wood is difficult. I'm sure Ozzie would have liked if Thome would have made an out for it to be a grounder to the right side, but it didn't happen.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 09:23 PM)
Except for 3 or 4 games this year, Dotel has pretty much been unhittable. The 7th inning is his. The 8th would have been Linebrink's and the 9th would have been Jenks'. It didn't work out. It doesn't always. I don't like Ozzie as a manager, but I can't fault him today.

The only move I'd question is not having someone bunt Anderson into 3rd base, especially with OC on deck.