6/21 - Saturday Night Games

scenario

Bristol won 10-4 over Burlington

Juan ("The Real Deal") Silverio with 7 RBI's on 3 hits including a grand slam. He's 8-21 (.381) in his first 5 games.

Welcome to the organization Mr. Silverio

20th round pick CF Justin Greene continues to impress. 3-4 tonight. 8-14 on the season. 6 of his hits are for extra bases.

Very nice start for 6'10" lefthander Garrett Johnson: 5 1/3 innings; 1 run on 6 hits; 7 K's; and 0 walks.

Winston-Salem over Wilmington 10-8.

A decent start for Anthony Carter: 6 innings; 2 runs on 5 hits

Paulo Orlando went 5-5

The first six hitters in the lineup went 14 for 25.

John Shelby with 4 RBIs.

Kannapolis beat West Virginia 14-3.

Interesting offensive line: 14 runs on 16 hits. Get this... 1 double; 1 homerun; and 14 singles

Jason Rice pitched a nice game: 6 innings; 2 runs on 7 hits; 3 K's and 1 BB.

Jim Gallagher with 4 hits.

Five other players with 2 hits each.

Charlotte lost to Lehigh Valley 3-2.

Loiza pitched 3 decent innings in his second 'rehab' start.

Haeger pitched beautifully in 6 innings of relief.

Offense couldn't scare up enough runs to pull it out. Sound familiar?

Chris Getz got 3 hits. Eldred and Cook hit solo homeruns.

The team got 9 hits but could only score 2 runs?? Again... sounds familiar.

Birmingham beat Jacksonville 2-0.

Carlos Torres pitched a very nice game... 8 innings; 0 runs; 6 hits; 5 K's; 3 BB's.

Jon Link got his 19th save and lowered his ERA to 1.55.

Not much offense but they didn't need it.

Great Falls beats Billings 4-3.

Kent Gerst with a solo homer a double and 2 RBIs.

Brent Morel goes 2-3 with a triple, a walk, and an RBI.

Eduardo Escobar 4-5 with a double. Nice night!

Daniel Hudson pitched 3 innings of 1-hit shutout ball; 4 K's; 0 BBs

Dexter Carter pitched 2 innings; gave up 1 run on 4 hits; struck out 3; and walked 1.

Gerst's double was a walk-off in the bottom of the 10th for the win.

Edited by danman31

Hopefully Wilder left us with a little going away present with Silverio... and I think we should call Eduardo Escobar EE.

I hope these guys are legit prospects. With them, Alexei and Beckham, to go along with Richar, Getz, and even possibly Shelby, we finally have some depth up the middle within the organization.

Edited by BearSox

I would hope Silverio follows this type of path:

2008 - Bristol (17)

2009 - Kanny (18)

2010 - WS/B-ham (19)

2011 - Charlotte (20)

2012 - Big Leagues (21)

If he hits well enough this year, there is no doubt in my mind, he skips advanced rookie ball next season and starts in Kanny. Let's just hope he is actually 17 and not 21.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (scenario @ Jun 22, 2008 -> 11:17 AM)
I think most people with a pulse can tell the difference between a 17 year old and a 21 year old.

I don't know about that. If people would guess Alexei's age, there would be a wide range of guesses prolly from 20-30 and he's 26 (supposed to be at least). A lot of these Dominican players look real young, which is why people can lie about their ages so easily.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 22, 2008 -> 10:49 AM)
I don't know about that. If people would guess Alexei's age, there would be a wide range of guesses prolly from 20-30 and he's 26 (supposed to be at least). A lot of these Dominican players look real young, which is why people can lie about their ages so easily.

Hellooooooo.....

The reason people in their 20's are easy to mistake is that most people quit growing by age 21. So an extra year or two in your 20's doesn't make alot of difference in development or how someone looks.

But teenagers versus a 21-year old is usually pretty obvious.

Edited by scenario

Here's a quote from Bobby Thigpen on Silverio:

"The guy's got some talent and the tools," Thigpen said. "Projection-wise it's hard to say, but if he continues to work and improve, he should be in Chicago.

"Like any 17-year-old, he's going to struggle some at-bats, but overall he's done a good job so far. He just needs to maintain it and continue to do what he needs to do."

- http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/news/ar...b&fext=.jsp

So by scenario's rationale if Silverio isn't 17, Mr. Thigpen is either lying or pulseless.

Edited by Ozzie Ball

QUOTE (scenario @ Jun 22, 2008 -> 10:17 AM)
I think most people with a pulse can tell the difference between a 17 year old and a 21 year old.

Depends. I know someone who plays baseball and is only 16, but he looks as if he's a full grown man. He never gets carded, and he is the hairiest man I've ever seen.

Edited by BearSox

The hairiest 16 year old in the world... that's not an image I want stuck in my brain BearSox.

Sure there are exceptions. But think about it...

People you know who are seniors in high school...

People you know who are seniors in college...

Can you generally tell the difference?

It's not just 'look'.

Those 4 years (17-21) usually result in some significant and obvious differences that are not hard for people to pick up on.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Jun 22, 2008 -> 09:04 PM)
so unless you have actually seen the kid hold back on your generalizations.

Wise words...

It seems alot people believe 'unless you've actually seen the kid automatically add 2-4 years to his age'.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jun 22, 2008 -> 05:55 PM)
The hairiest 16 year old in the world... that's not an image I want stuck in my brain BearSox.

Sure there are exceptions. But think about it...

People you know who are seniors in high school...

People you know who are seniors in college...

Can you generally tell the difference?

It's not just 'look'.

Those 4 years (17-21) usually result in some significant and obvious differences that are not hard for people to pick up on.

Usually, but not always. One of my best friends was buying alcohol at 14 not ever getting carded. I also know a 44 year old woman who could easily pass for an 18 year old. A 21 year old could easily look 17 or 18, and vice versa.

I want to again reiterate one thing, everything you read on a forum isn't necessarily true and there is no reason to believe Silverio is anything but 17. Hint hint, read between the line's people (I'm pretty much telling you that you need to filter some of what was previously posted on here).