True distances of all those home runs at wrigley

joeynach

This website called hittrackeronline.com is great. It lists the distances that every home run in baseball travels, called "True Distance" on their site. They also have something called "Standard Distance" which would be the distance of what the ball would have traveled if the weather, wind, and altitude hadn't factored into the balls flight. Basically standard distance can be thought of as nominalizing the flight of the ball by removing the extra or reduced distance the ball receives from physical conditions. The point being lets take a look at how small wrigley really did play and how hard of hits all those home runs really were. BTW, I also realize its the same conditions for both teams (both would benefit), but I also believe the Cubs players try to take more advantage of this oddity of their home park and actually swing for outfield fly balls.

CUBS

Aramis Ramirez Vs. Scott Linebrink (6/20): Std Dist = 401, True Dist = 434

Aramis Ramirez Vs. Octavio Dotel (6/20): Std Dist = 360, True Dist = 394

Derek Lee Vs. Octavio Dotel (6/20): Std Dist = 392, True Dist = 416

Jim Edmonds Vs. Boone Logan (6/21): Std Dist = 355, True Dist = 378

Jim Edmonds Vs. Jose Contreras (6/21): Std Dist = 362, True Dist = 387

Mike Fontenot Vs. Jose Contreras (6/21): Std Dist = 357, True Dist = 384

Sox

AJ Pierzynski Vs. Ted Lilly (6/20): Std Dist = 416, True Dist = 424

Jermaine Dye Vs. Ted Lilly (6/20): Std Dist = 432, True Dist = 438

Dewayne Wise Vs. Jason Marquis (6/21): Std Dist = 379, True Dist = 404

Jermaine Dye Vs. Jason Marquis (6/21): Std Dist = 386, True Dist = 396

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 22, 2008 -> 09:51 PM)
Who gives a flying f***? We got our ass handed to us. f***ing stupid thread.

Not its not...think about it. What if there are different conditions. Then what. Weather is random. Are u seriously telling me if they play on a cool April day things go exactly the same. U already saw what happened to tonite with 65 degress wind blowing in at 10 MPH, like 2 bombs...off the wall.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 22, 2008 -> 09:36 PM)
So, did they play with wind going out, and we played with wind going in?

No one makes this thread if we hit a s***load of them out, wind-aided or not.

Just give it up, we got killed.

I already stated it in another thread, but I think there is something to be said about the difference in distance. The White Sox hitters pounded theirs out and didn't need aid. The Cubs, not so much. If you tell me that it is just pure luck that the Cubs hitters caught all those jet-streams, I won't believe you. They know something their opponents don't. But don't mistake this for an excuse. The Sox deserved to get beat up and down.

Wrigley should work for our team. If you can hit at the Cell you can hit at Wrigley. Check out the park factors, our park ranks ahead of Wrigley. At the cell, left field faces the lake and the ball blows out to left and center all the time. You get the ball up at the cell, it goes out. The same thing at Wrigley. The difference is, we either hit the ball straight up ( your typical crede popup), or we hit it on the ground.

You want to know the issue.

Danks kept the ball on the ground. Dotel is a flyball fastball pitcher. Guess which one will get hurt at a home run park.

Contreras was wild and couldnt throw his fork for a strike, Marquis who is crappy is still a sinkerballer.

Dempster has a sinker and a splitter. Vaz is a flyball pitcher.

Keep the ball down and you will survive. This is why Kenny has been so huge on drafting guys with sink.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jun 22, 2008 -> 11:15 PM)
Wrigley should work for our team. If you can hit at the Cell you can hit at Wrigley. Check out the park factors, our park ranks ahead of Wrigley. At the cell, left field faces the lake and the ball blows out to left and center all the time. You get the ball up at the cell, it goes out. The same thing at Wrigley. The difference is, we either hit the ball straight up ( your typical crede popup), or we hit it on the ground.

You want to know the issue.

Danks kept the ball on the ground. Dotel is a flyball fastball pitcher. Guess which one will get hurt at a home run park.

Contreras was wild and couldnt throw his fork for a strike, Marquis who is crappy is still a sinkerballer.

Dempster has a sinker and a splitter. Vaz is a flyball pitcher.

Keep the ball down and you will survive. This is why Kenny has been so huge on drafting guys with sink.

Props. But I'm not ready to say the wind blowing out in left at Wrigley is the same at Comiskey. Comiskey deals more with swirling winds because of the billboards blocking the ugly part of the city.

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Jun 22, 2008 -> 10:08 PM)
I already stated it in another thread, but I think there is something to be said about the difference in distance. The White Sox hitters pounded theirs out and didn't need aid. The Cubs, not so much. If you tell me that it is just pure luck that the Cubs hitters caught all those jet-streams, I won't believe you. They know something their opponents don't. But don't mistake this for an excuse. The Sox deserved to get beat up and down.

They know something their opponents don't.

Like what?? They are able to time when the jet streams are coming and know exactly when to step into the batter's box??

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 22, 2008 -> 11:21 PM)

Like what?? They are able to time when the jet streams are coming and know exactly when to step into the batter's box??

If I knew, then they may not have such a stellar home record!! :chair

It's the same thing as Fenway Park. It seems pretty obvious... just hit the big f***ing wall... but it's not.

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Jun 22, 2008 -> 10:19 PM)
Props. But I'm not ready to say the wind blowing out in left at Wrigley is the same at Comiskey. Comiskey deals more with swirling winds because of the billboards blocking the ugly part of the city.

In the summer, when the wind blows out. The ball jumps out like a lazer.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 22, 2008 -> 10:21 PM)

Perhaps they know how to mechanicly make some tweaks here or there to try and hit 330 foot gap shots that turn into homers. Thats why that team is like 32-8 at home they know what to do to take advantage and obviously the sox hitters dont. Any plenty of those home runs hit were knee high or lower.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 01:18 AM)
Blame the conditions for the fact that we stink. Good logic.

No I blame the conditions for the fact they are like 22 games over .500 at home and 3 games under .500 on the road.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 01:12 AM)
Perhaps they know how to mechanicly make some tweaks here or there to try and hit 330 foot gap shots that turn into homers. Thats why that team is like 32-8 at home they know what to do to take advantage and obviously the sox hitters dont. Any plenty of those home runs hit were knee high or lower.

C'mon, if that's the case, then every Cub team since late 1800s would have that kind of home record, no? Or are you saying that the 08 team figured something out that past teams, or visiting teams, had not?

Nonsense.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Jun 22, 2008 -> 09:18 PM)
Not its not...think about it. What if there are different conditions. Then what. Weather is random. Are u seriously telling me if they play on a cool April day things go exactly the same. U already saw what happened to tonite with 65 degress wind blowing in at 10 MPH, like 2 bombs...off the wall.

Which is one of the reasons why I don't think the Cubs are going to fare so well in the postseason.

Yeah, everytime the Cubs come up to bat. All their fans behind them blow real hard and push the ball over the fences.

It's unfair I know, but what can we do about it?

Edited by the People's Champ

Cheap home run or no doubter, we still lost.

1. Had we gotten one more hit with RISP in the first game, there's a 80-90% chance we would of won.

2. Had Contreras not sucked in game 2, we might of won.

3. Had Vazquez known how to throw a strike in the first and had we learned how to hit with RISP, we might of won yesterday.

Besides game 1, we got outplayed. Period.

Edited by chw42