No Consolation

TCQ

This weekend was an embarassment. There are definetly holes in this team and i have no idea how you would fix them. You can hope that Javy and Jose get back on track but what if they dont. JAvy has been terrible his last 4 starts and Contreras was knocked around. It sucks that we have these players and the at times terrible Thome but there is nothing that can be done about them. You cant really move anyone on this team. That is why its going to hard for this team to turn it around and make a push for the playoffs. We are only one and a half games up now, and are probably one bad series away from losing that lead. We can talk about trades and signings all we want but this team has no where to put anyone. Id like to hear if anyone could think of something that would improve this team and how you would move the lineup around.

all people do on this site is complain and talk about how bad we suck. So we had a bad series against the best team in baseball, its not the end of the world We are in first place around the end of June, Who would of guessed that??

This coming weekend will be gut-check time for the Sox. While they need to focus on winning the AL Central, they also need to show up and send a message after getting punked in their home town by a rival. The way that they respond at home against the Cubs will set the tone for the rest of the season.

I couldn't agree more.

Getting trainwrecked at Wrigley was the team-wide reminder of Torii Hunter running over Jamie Burke in 04.

How this team responds next weekend in their own ball park will tell us much about the second half of the season.

That's 8 losses in 9 games to Piniella since he took over.

enough to make me question if interleague play is worth it.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 09:59 AM)
I couldn't agree more.

Getting trainwrecked at Wrigley was the team-wide reminder of Torii Hunter running over Jamie Burke in 04.

How this team responds next weekend in their own ball park will tell us much about the second half of the season.

That's 8 losses in 9 games to Piniella since he took over.

enough to make me question if interleague play is worth it.

Here's the thing about interleague play. It isn't worth it, until October. Right now, it's another series...and the Sox were swept. Big deal. Of course it hurts more because it's against the Cubs, but I'd much rather be swept AT Wrigley, during the FIRST interleague series, than being housed this weekend. Now if the Sox are swept this weekend, THAT will leave a bad taste in everyones mouths.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 07:04 AM)
Here's the thing about interleague play. It isn't worth it, until October. Right now, it's another series...and the Sox were swept. Big deal. Of course it hurts more because it's against the Cubs, but I'd much rather be swept AT Wrigley, during the FIRST interleague series, than being housed this weekend. Now if the Sox are swept this weekend, THAT will leave a bad taste in everyones mouths.

Interleague or not, the Sox and Cubs are rivals. And this is amplified by the whole "Second Team in the Second City" label. I'm sure that the news media outlets in Chicago are going ga-ga over the Cubs and crapping on the Sox right now. That should piss them off. If the Sox don't enter this weekend's series with a chip on their shoulder and play their asses off, I doubt they'll be playing in October.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 11:35 AM)
Interleague or not, the Sox and Cubs are rivals. And this is amplified by the whole "Second Team in the Second City" label. I'm sure that the news media outlets in Chicago are going ga-ga over the Cubs and crapping on the Sox right now. That should piss them off. If the Sox don't enter this weekend's series with a chip on their shoulder and play their asses off, I doubt they'll be playing in October.

It's still only 1 series though.

We could easily get swept by the Cubs and still end up winning our division.

We just need to get the consistency back with our pitching.

We got beat three straight in Tampa also and survived. I think having both Konerko and Thome out at the same time is not a good thing when you play the Cubs. Jim did get that double on Sunday and looked good in that at bat. But, he most likely will be pinch hitting for the next three games in LA. He will be in the line up next weekend though and we will be at home. That has to be a good thing.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 08:44 AM)
We just need to get the consistency back with our pitching.

Not to mention the hitting. The bats failed miserably last night and on Friday. Even without Paulie and JT, a combined 4 runs over two games is unacceptable.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 09:45 AM)
Whatever, in 2 weeks they'll win 5 games in a row and we'll all be happy. This team and the people of this board are so Bi-Polar its ridiculous....

bottom line is unless this team can find some form of consistency they aren't going anywhere. even if they somehow survive the regular season you cant win 5 in a row and then lose 4 in a row in the playoffs if you want to win the world series.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 09:05 AM)
bottom line is unless this team can find some form of consistency they aren't going anywhere. even if they somehow survive the regular season you cant win 5 in a row and then lose 4 in a row in the playoffs if you want to win the world series.

+1

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 11:05 AM)

But then the Sox could get hot at the right time just like they did back in 2005.

So we'll just have to wait and see.

But then the Sox could get hot at the right time just like they did back in 2005.

So we'll just have to wait and see.

I like that thought! Now all we need is the law of averages to catch up with the Flubs, so I start to hear that wonderful chant again....

OH WELL, WE'LL GET EM NEXT YEAR