Where is Alexei's Future on This team

Wanne

Reading on the FutureSox thread about how well Silverio has been doing...just got me thinking about the future infield. We've got Lexi...Silverio...drafted Beckham...have Richar. I think Getz is about as high as he's gonna be but could have some value in a trade at some point. Could it mean Lexi will be the CF of the future or are they planning on SS for him. Of course we're talking 3 years down the road here. But I can't recall the Sox EVER having such a deep middle infield in the system at any point. Sure would be nice to get some video on Silverio. With the depth there...was it a mistake to take Beckham passing on Smoak or Wallace?

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 05:12 PM)
Joe Morgan of ESPN speculated that Ramirez and Beckham will be the Sox future DP combo, but it's anyone's guess which position they end up playng. I think Alexei is supposed to be the better SS so maybe Beckham ends up at 2B?

Alexei is a SS by nature. Beckham just looks like a 2B.

QUOTE (Tannerfan @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 05:14 PM)
I think he'll be our Chone Figgins. He will play wherever he is needed to play depending on the strengths and weaknesses from year to year. With his arm, I think he could even play 3rd.

With more power! Alexei has 20-homer power.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 05:16 PM)
I guess that leaves me to ask...what happens if Silverio is absolutely tearing it up in a few. It's not a given that Beckham will be annointed because he was the #1.

I just want to ask whatever happened to Richar? They had so much expectation for that guy, now he's almost non-existent because of that rib injury, Alexei Ramirez, and Gordon Beckham.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 03:16 PM)
I guess that leaves me to ask...what happens if Silverio is absolutely tearing it up in a few. It's not a given that Beckham will be annointed because he was the #1.

Alexei is signed for 3 years after this. Let's say 2 years from now we're sitting there with an abundance of guys who can play SS. One of several things will happen:

1. One of them will be moved, either to CF (Swisher might well be a full time 1b by then and no one knows what Anderson will be doing), 2nd base, or perhaps some other crazy position.

2. One or more of them will be traded (we are talking about trader KW here).

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 03:22 PM)
I just want to ask whatever happened to Richar? They had so much expectation for that guy, now he's almost non-existent because of that rib injury, Alexei Ramirez, and Gordon Beckham.

Richar still may well have a place on this team next year, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he wound up starting at 2nd base next April. His injury set him back quite a while, he's only hitting .235 on the season, but in his last 10 games he's hitting .303 and showing some gradual improvement. He's been known as a streaky hitter, he catches fire for a few weeks and his numbers could look a lot more respectable. His first month for all we know was probably just spring training for him.

I think he'll be our Chone Figgins. He will play wherever he is needed to play depending on the strengths and weaknesses from year to year. With his arm, I think he could even play 3rd.
Hawk always says:

:hawk: If you can play SS, you can play any position on the field! Dadgum right, hunker down, your what hurts?

I'd much rather have a glut of, well, any position, than be strug-a-ling to find someone...ANYONE...that can play a position.

Honestly, I think Ramirez has played himself into a spot...and I think he's only going to get better. O-Cab, I believe is gone after this year. this way, you move Alexei to SS, Richar at 2b and give Beckham a couple years to get used to pro ball.

DAMN, I'm good!

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 05:22 PM)

Richar is just buried on the depth chart, he missed quite a bit of time. I imagine Uribe and Cabrera will both be gone next year, so barring a signing of Furcal or something like that I'd think Richar would move back into 2B. He would've been the starting 2B had he not gotten hurt.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 05:10 PM)
A SS can be moved if needbe. There's nothing at all wrong with taking a SS or signing extra SS, they're typically some of the best athletes coming out.

I still think Alexei moves to SS next year after the OC walks.

Yeah I was going to say that. It's not really that hard to move prospects, especially good ones.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 04:57 PM)
Richar is just buried on the depth chart, he missed quite a bit of time. I imagine Uribe and Cabrera will both be gone next year, so barring a signing of Furcal or something like that I'd think Richar would move back into 2B. He would've been the starting 2B had he not gotten hurt.

I'm not sure Kenny will just annoint Richar at 2B next year if OC leaves. If it makes the team better to add a Furcal, Roberts, etc...I think Kenny will do it. Speaking of OC...now I've never seen much of this guy before this season...but is it just me or does the guy just look unhappy?!?

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 06:43 PM)
I'm not sure Kenny will just annoint Richar at 2B next year if OC leaves. If it makes the team better to add a Furcal, Roberts, etc...I think Kenny will do it. Speaking of OC...now I've never seen much of this guy before this season...but is it just me or does the guy just look unhappy?!?

I'm not saying KW will anoint him, that's why I put that caveat there. I think we all know KW. Hell for all we know, tomorrow morning we could've found out he traded Quentin, Broadway, and Fields for Ichiro (obviously not saying that's going to happen just saying something crazy for example). I'm just saying Richar is still in the org's long-term plans until further notice.

Ramirez's future is at SS. It looks like Richar will have a good shot at the 2B job for next year, but hopefully we could bring in a solid vet to platoon with him vs. lefties. Someone like Loretta would be perfect to platoon with Richar at 2B. I believe I was even saying this in the offseason.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 04:29 PM)
Richar still may well have a place on this team next year, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he wound up starting at 2nd base next April. His injury set him back quite a while, he's only hitting .235 on the season, but in his last 10 games he's hitting .303 and showing some gradual improvement. He's been known as a streaky hitter, he catches fire for a few weeks and his numbers could look a lot more respectable. His first month for all we know was probably just spring training for him.
Streaky hitters..Hmm, don't we have enough streaky players now.. I like Alexei I believe he has yet to reach his potential..Beckham might be that clutch hitter with Alexei they could become the new dynamic duo.. Hopefully they can comeclose to Fox and Aparicio. I hope Beckham has as much range as Alexei at second...............

Alexei has really surprised me with how well he has hit this year. I didn't figure he would be ready for major league pitching this early, and I have been totally wrong. There is the chance that it could be a fluke right now, but he really doesn't swing and miss many pitches for as big of a strike zone as he gives himself. The $5 million we gave him is going to be a STEAL.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 09:28 AM)
Alexei has really surprised me with how well he has hit this year. I didn't figure he would be ready for major league pitching this early, and I have been totally wrong. There is the chance that it could be a fluke right now, but he really doesn't swing and miss many pitches for as big of a strike zone as he gives himself. The $5 million we gave him is going to be a STEAL.

At the rate he's going he'll get an extension before he ever sees all of that 5 mil.

I'd rather see Ramirez in center field eventually wish Swisher at 1st and Konerko at DH. But mostly to me, it doesn't matter where he plays because in my opinion he's going to be equal or better than any counter part at SS, 2B, or CF. Maybe Ramirez could play SS, Swisher CF, and Fields 1B next year. (Not trying to make this a Fields topic.)