Don Imus doesn't get it

Brian

Of course he doesn't get it. Have you taken a good look at the man? He's the definition of an aging white racist.

Even with his Rutgers comments, I wasn't shocked because it about fit my impression of him. These latest comments are tame in comparison. You could easily make an excuse for it (although we all know what he meant).

He's still on the radio because aging white racists appeal to a wide audience of aging white racists.

Imus claims he was misunderstood.

- Months after returning to the radio with a pledge to mend the wounds caused by his comments about a women's basketball team, Don Imus is once again defending on-air remarks regarding race.

ADVERTISEMENT

click here

During an on-air conversation Monday about the arrests of suspended Dallas Cowboys cornerback Adam Jones, Imus asked, "What color is he?"

Told by sports announcer Warner Wolf that Jones, who used to be nicknamed Pacman, is "African-American," Imus responded: "There you go. Now we know."

In the face of criticism that ensued, Imus said Monday that he had been misunderstood.

"I meant that he was being picked on because he's black," Imus said in a statement released by his spokesman.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 09:27 AM)
Why should he "get it"? Imus got rich doing this, and got his job back after saying crap like this. What lesson has he really learned?

That he can stay crap like that without any repercussions?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 08:44 AM)
Imus can say whatever he wants... but there is nothing in the Constitution that protects him from the backlash.

The problem is that the "backlash" just gives him more and more free press. If we would just ignore these types of bigots and idiots, well, they'd be more likely to go away. Instead we give them a career boost.

QUOTE (Soxy @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 07:50 AM)
The problem is that the "backlash" just gives him more and more free press. If we would just ignore these types of bigots and idiots, well, they'd be more likely to go away. Instead we give them a career boost.

Good post - but it's sort of a testament to our society and the direction it's going - which makes me really sad. These types of soundbytes and remarks are made for throwing all over the news, and the Imus' of the world and the reactionary comments are expected now.

QUOTE (Soxy @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 07:50 AM)

Mostly because there is an entire 24 hour news industry that exists just to express outrage about things, so that people watch them. Its a sad little circle.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 09:01 AM)
Mostly because there is an entire 24 hour news industry that exists just to express outrage about things, so that people watch them. Its a sad little circle.

I'll be honest, I haven't had cable in about 7 months, and I don't miss tv at all. It's odd, because without the really biased news I am better at catching biased reporting in printed sources. Without the constant barrage of that bulls*** you get a lot better at sifting and thinking for yourself.

QUOTE (Soxy @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 08:12 AM)
I'll be honest, I haven't had cable in about 7 months, and I don't miss tv at all. It's odd, because without the really biased news I am better at catching biased reporting in printed sources. Without the constant barrage of that bulls*** you get a lot better at sifting and thinking for yourself.

If it wasn't for baseball and history, I could easily do with out cable myself.

I probably should start a different thread, but it kind of fits here. Actually in today's environment any mention of race, becomes racist if said by an aging white man. We have swung the pendulum too far on one direction and have stifled any constructive dialog. IF Imus truly had wanted to point out that minorities are picked on more, he would still have been labeled a racist. We just do not seem to acknowledge that there are different races in this country and their American experience is different based on the color of their skin and the language they speak.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 08:42 AM)
I probably should start a different thread, but it kind of fits here. Actually in today's environment any mention of race, becomes racist if said by an aging white man. We have swung the pendulum too far on one direction and have stifled any constructive dialog. IF Imus truly had wanted to point out that minorities are picked on more, he would still have been labeled a racist. We just do not seem to acknowledge that there are different races in this country and their American experience is different based on the color of their skin and the language they speak.

^^^

It would seem that the only recourse is to not address race at all, but that invites the criticism of "if you're not part of the solution then you're part of the problem". It a no-win situtation for said "aging white men". Oh, and I am of hispanic heritage, so my dog's on the sidelines on this.

SFF

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 09:41 AM)
Imus is an idiot and given his past comments I won't give him the benefit of the doubt here.

I agree. However, I think people will make too big a deal of it. It would be a lot easier to make this idiot go away if people ignored him instead of making it front page news everytime he says something stupid. Most people wouldnt even know who he was if it wasnt for the Rutgers comment.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 09:42 AM)

Well I agree with this, but Imus is clearly a racist, and what he said here was clearly quite racist, so I definitely can't give him the benefit of the doubt. Actually, one of the few aging white men that could talk about race and not be labeled a racist was George Carlin, who of course isn't around anymore.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 01:02 PM)
Well I agree with this, but Imus is clearly a racist, and what he said here was clearly quite racist, so I definitely can't give him the benefit of the doubt. Actually, one of the few aging white men that could talk about race and not be labeled a racist was George Carlin, who of course isn't around anymore.

Out of curiosity what do you think makes the public view different peoples words as racist or not. The first thing that comes to mind is track record but Im curious what else. Before the Nappy headed hoes comment I wasnt aware of anything else he had said. Also, maybe its different for stand up comedians. I recently watched Jim Norton ( I think) on HBO and he said some pretty bad racial stuff but it was very stereotypical. I wonder what warrants different people to say things without being labeled a racist.

I wasn't trying to excuse Imus, I guess what I should have said is as soon as an old white guy says, there is a difference in the races, he gets labeled a racist for noticing. Today we just do not talk about any differences, which IMHO means the pendulum has swung too far to the side.