6/23 Games

maggsmaggs

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...noraaa_chraaa_1

Charlotte Won 8-1

Richard with the win, 6 inning, 5 hits, 1 ER, no walks and no Ks/

Cook, Richar, Castillo, Hall and Cortez 2 hits apiece.

B-Ham

OFF

Winston-Salem

OFF

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...wvaafx_kanafx_1

Kannapolis Lost 8-2

Lucas Harrell started and not good: 2.2 inn, 4 hits, 4 ER, 3 BBs and 0 Ks.

Fleisher and Mollenhauer 2 hits apiece.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...kptrok_brirok_1

Bristol Shut-Out 1-0

Silverio 0-4, 2 Ks.

Greg Infante, 20 year old from Caracas, Venezuela: 6 inn, 5 hits, 1 run (unearned), 2 BBs and 6 Ks.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...helrok_grfrok_1

Great Falls in action

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 08:33 PM)
Chuck Norris has nothing on David Cook.

David Cook's 2007. Ranked among organizational leaders in runs scored (1st, 92), walks (1st, 75), home runs (3rd, 24), extra-base hits (5th, 56), RBIs (6th, 75), slugging percentage (6th, .531), total bases (6th, 233), hits (8th, 124) and on-base percentage (8th, .388). ... made 61 appearances in right field, 34 in left, 18 in center and nine at designated hitter. ... Was named Carolina League Batter of the Week for April 5-15. ... Made his Birmingham debut on Aug. 3 and reached base safely in his first 15 games with the Barons, hitting .432 (19-for-44) during that span. Was named Southern League Batter of theWeek for Aug. 6-12.

David Cook's 2008. Even better!!! Tore up AA. Got promoted at mid-season. Now tearing up AAA.

David Cook's 2009. ???

Edited by scenario

The David Cook enthusiasm has definitely picked up on this site since he came up to Charlotte. I just wish he wasn't so old.

Can anyone speak for him on behalf of his defense? I have no idea what OF positions he even plays, nor how good he is at it.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 12:38 AM)
I know he's just supposedly a taller Heath Phillips, but Clayton Richard has been GREAT this year. He was awesome at Birmingham, and now on fire at Charlotte.

Clayton can actually hit 90 and go over that.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 10:50 PM)
The David Cook enthusiasm has definitely picked up on this site since he came up to Charlotte. I just wish he wasn't so old.

Can anyone speak for him on behalf of his defense? I have no idea what OF positions he even plays, nor how good he is at it.

He's 26...that's old? He can play all three spots and play them well. He is a five tool guy.

By the way, Brad Eldred and Jerry Owens are on the DL. Eldred broke his left hand and is out 2 to 4 weeks. Don't know about how long Owens is out. Noah Hall was promoted from B'ham and Nick Blasi was signed off the street. He had played for Tacoma, Sacramento and Midland.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 11:58 PM)
He's 26...that's old? He can play all three spots and play them well. He is a five tool guy.

For a prospect it's old, but a player who rose as fast as David Cook is a legitimate prospect in my book. Now I want to see him play.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 04:38 AM)
Clayton Richard has completely rocketed up the pitching prospect list for the Sox.

Damn you, Egbert.

That was concentrating on one sport wil do. I was looking at some old football rankings on Rivals.com and he was rated the 4th best pro-style QB in the country, ahead of Brady Quinn, I believe.

That's an insane number of groundouts.

I've heard the Heath Phillips comparisons, and Richard is going to have to find a way to strike guys out somehow at the major league level if he wants to be successful, but with those amount of groundouts he's generating, he may have a future with the organization after all.

It's ended up being a very good 7th-8th round selection by the Sox a couple of years back though ATM.

I'll immediately dismiss the Phillips comparisons. Heck, in general, you take a lefty that doesn't throw 95+ and you can probably compare him to practically any other lefty in the game (as they are all in similar molds but what seperates the good ones from the bad/mediocre ones is the command, variety of pitches, and the movement). Richard has a good arm, much better than Phillips (he can hit 90 on the gun as someone pointed out as well).

I have seen him throw a few times, but none recently enough where I could point out the progress he's made (that said, he's always been a prospect and it seems as he's putting himself squarely on the radar now with what has been a tremendous 08 campaign thus far). Still, I wouldn't classify him as a lock for major league success but he has a shot at it.

Where does the Heath Phillips comparison keep coming from?

Heath Phillips was paunchy soft-body fine control pitcher who couldn't break a pane of glass with his fastball.

Clayton Richard is a tall (6'5") athletic former football player throws a consistent 92 mph fastball, has breaking stuff that drops down into the high 70's, and was struggling with control until this year (which now seems corrected).

Except for being left-handed, white, and pitching in our minor league system, there isn't much similarity between these guys.

But, it seems like somebody said it once and it keeps getting repeated.

BTW - here's a nice stat. In Richard's 1st three starts at Charlotte (20 innings)... 12 strikeouts and 0 walks. Control problem? What control problem? :)

Edited by scenario

Glad to see Richard doing so well. He grew up 20 minutes from me and he was just a freak athlete in high school, but that could be credited to the fact that he was 20 when he graduated. Still though, all state in football four years in a row, and leading your baseball team to their first state championship in years is phenomenal. His senior year he did not give up an earned run in over 100 innings until the final inning of the state championship game. I'm sure he got over it quickly because it was only one run and three outs later they were the state champions.