You're Terry Francona

jasonxctf

create the 2008 AL Allstar Team. Assuming that the current vote leaders stay as is... and 1 player per team minimum. 32 total members per team.

Starters (9)

1B. Kevin Youkalis (BOS)

2B. Dustin Pedroia (BOS)

SS. Derek Jeter (NYY)

3B. Alex Rodriguez (NYY)

C. Joe Mauer (MIN)

DH. David Ortiz (BOS)

OF. Manny Ramirez (BOS)

OF. Josh Hamilton (TEX)

OF. Ichiro Suzuki (SEA)

Pitchers (12)

SP. Joe Saunders (LAA)

SP. Vicente Padilla (TEX)

SP. Daisuke Matsuzaka (BOS)

SP. Cliff Lee (CLE)

SP. Justin Duchscherer (OAK)

SP. Shaun Marcum (TOR)

SP. Scott Kazmir (TB)

CP. Joakim Soria (KC)

CP. Jonathan Papelbon (BOS)

CP. Mariano Rivera (NYY)

CP. George Sherrill (BALT)

CP. Francisco Rodriguez (LAA)

Reserves (11)

C. Dioner Navarro (TB)

1B. Justin Morneau (MIN)

2B. Placido Polanco (DET)

SS. Michael Young (TEX)

3B. Miguel Cabrera (DET) Joe Crede (CHI)

OF. Milton Bradley (TEX) JD Drew (BOS)

OF. Carlos Quentin (CHI) Jermaine Dye (CHI)

OF. Johnny Damon (NYY)

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 08:42 PM)
AJ belongs there also. Plus this voting process is a joke anyway.

Navarro has a higher batting average and OPS than AJ, and has 1 fewer HR and 1 fewer RBI in 186 at bats compared to AJ's 254. There's something to be said for reliability, but just on pure numbers, well, AJ has the same OPS as Miguel Olivo.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 09:46 PM)
Navarro has a higher batting average and OPS than AJ, and has 1 fewer HR and 1 fewer RBI in 186 at bats compared to AJ's 254. There's something to be said for reliability, but just on pure numbers, well, AJ has the same OPS as Miguel Olivo.
It will always be unfair as long as there is a big market team or a popular player.. As a youngster I loved seeing my favorit willie mays play. trouble was willie was popular and later in his career was selected in lieu of a more talented player.. When the player and coaches picked the team we probably did see the best national and american league teams that they could field..Of course as a fan that took us out of the equation.. Big market teams have more people to promote their players.. personally, I have little interest in the all star game.. I'd rather see every sox player get some rest.. After all we have to play a lot better because we have some extrodinary challenges from now till the end of the season.. If I could pick one person it would of course be Carlos Quentin it would be my guess that if the players chose they would have him in the starting lineup........... He's a player's player

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 08:51 PM)
create the 2008 AL Allstar Team. Assuming that the current vote leaders stay as is... and 1 player per team minimum. 32 total members per team.

Starters (9)

1B. Kevin Youkalis (BOS)

2B. Dustin Pedroia (BOS)

SS. Derek Jeter (NYY)

3B. Alex Rodriguez (NYY)

C. Joe Mauer (MIN)

DH. David Ortiz (BOS)

OF. Manny Ramirez (BOS)

OF. Josh Hamilton (TEX)

OF. Ichiro Suzuki (SEA)

Pitchers (12)

SP. Joe Saunders (LAA)

SP. Vicente Padilla (TEX)

SP. Cliff Lee (CLE)

SP. Shaun Marcum (TOR)

SP. Scott Kazmir (TB)

CP. Joakim Soria (KC)

CP. Mariano Rivera (NYY)

Reserves (11)

C. Dioner Navarro (TB)

1B. Justin Morneau (MIN)

2B. Placido Polanco (DET)

SS. Michael Young (TEX)

OF. Milton Bradley (TEX) JD Drew (BOS)

OF. Johnny Damon (NYY)

Starters (9)

1B. Kevin Youkalis (BOS)

2B. Dustin Pedroia (BOS)

SS. Derek Jeter (NYY)

3B. Alex Rodriguez (NYY)

C. Joe Mauer (MIN)

DH. David Ortiz (BOS)

OF. Manny Ramirez (BOS)

OF. Josh Hamilton (TEX)

OF. Ichiro Suzuki (SEA)

Pitchers (12)

SP. Joe Saunders (LAA)

SP. John Danks (CHI)

SP. Cliff Lee (CLE)

SP. Shaun Marcum (TOR)

SP. Gavin Floyd (CHI)

CP. Joakim Soria (KC)

CP. Mariano Rivera (NYY)

Reserves (11)

C. A.J. Pierzynski (CWS)

1B. Justin Morneau (MIN)

2B. Ian Kinsler (TEX)

SS. Michael Young (TEX)

OF. Milton Bradley (TEX) JD Drew

OF. B.J. Upton (TB)

Edited by jenks45monster

John Danks would already be in this game if he had the same run support that our other starters receive. It's a damn shame people rely on record that much, something a pitcher often can't control (as is Danks' case), but that's how it goes. If we have a shot at a 2nd all star, it's Crede because they won't take two White Sox OF's as reserves IMO, and I don't think Linebrink will make it.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 11:06 PM)
Starters (9)

1B. Kevin Youkalis (BOS)

2B. Dustin Pedroia (BOS)

SS. Derek Jeter (NYY)

3B. Alex Rodriguez (NYY)

C. Joe Mauer (MIN)

DH. David Ortiz (BOS)

OF. Manny Ramirez (BOS)

OF. Josh Hamilton (TEX)

OF. Ichiro Suzuki (SEA)

Pitchers (12)

SP. Joe Saunders (LAA)

SP. John Danks (CHI)

SP. Cliff Lee (CLE)

SP. Shaun Marcum (TOR)

SP. Gavin Floyd (CHI)

CP. Joakim Soria (KC)

CP. Mariano Rivera (NYY)

Reserves (11)

C. A.J. Pierzynski (CWS)

1B. Justin Morneau (MIN)

2B. Ian Kinsler (TEX)

SS. Michael Young (TEX)

OF. Milton Bradley (TEX) JD Drew

OF. Johnny Damon (NYY)

You don't have a TB player. And I didn't even look for other teams you missed.

And Gavin Floyd is actually not doing that good. Look at his BB/K and BB/IP. His ERA really should be mid to upper 3's. I do agree with Danks though.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 01:40 AM)
You don't have a TB player. And I didn't even look for other teams you missed.

And Gavin Floyd is actually not doing that good. Look at his BB/K and BB/IP. His ERA really should be mid to upper 3's. I do agree with Danks though.

Fixed. Stuck B.J. Upton in there instead of Damon. Gonna keep Floyd in there though.

You know, voting when the game was just an exhibition for "fun" was acceptable, but now that the game actually means something, voting is ridiculous. Fans should still be able to participate though. I think they should do it where they name the teams 2-4 weeks in advance, but leave something like 5 or 6 spots open for fans to vote who they want into it.

Also, the home run derby shouldn't just have all-stars in it, but rather best power hitters in the game. I'd love to see Adam Dunn in one (Joe Borchard would probably do really well in a HR derby as well).

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 01:40 AM)

That's just ridiculous. Yes, his bb/k and bb/ip numbers need some work but when you have a 3.19 era and a 1.10 whip, you're definitely doing pretty well.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 05:35 AM)
I honestly think John Danks is our most deserving player at the moment.

It's not his fault the offense betrays him.

I love Danks and he's been great but it really would be nice if he could pitch into the 7th inning some time. That's the one thing that's holding him back a bit..

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 12:14 PM)
I love Danks and he's been great but it really would be nice if he could pitch into the 7th inning some time. That's the one thing that's holding him back a bit..

It's not his fault he gets taken out after 6 innings every freakin time.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 12:23 PM)

Most of the time it has been his fault, cause he's had extremely high pitch counts. I'm not knocking him, he's been fantastic this season but he definitely hasn't been economic with his pitches.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 11:23 AM)

And thank God for Ozzie Guillen and Don Cooper, because I sure as hell don't want them pulling a Dusty Baker on this kid. I know the whole 85 pitch thing from Friday has many people cheesed, but looking into the big picture, we are already talking about a guy that completely collapsed last year because he had never worked as many innings as he did then. The Sox have to guard his innings for a couple of years to work him into the 200-220 IP range that they like their guys in. Its akin to being a guy who can run a 5k, and then sticking them out there for the marathon. They might be able to go somewhat past that 5k mark, but eventually they are going to hit the wall and not finish. Danks is so young, he has yet to be conditioned for the marathon that is a 162 game 220 IP season. Unless you are a fan of ruining young kids arms, you should be happy the Sox are being smart with this kid, dispite the temptation to do otherwise.

All Star voting should be taken away from the fans. I'm sick of seeing the same people every year, or at least same teams, since that's REALLY what matters. The fact that Ian Kinsler isn't the top 2B and Hamilton isn't the top OF makes me want to puke. AL SP has been good this year, it will be tough to pick who goes. I have a feeling there will be a record number of all star snubs. Someone should protest the fan vote outside the festivities all weekend. :lolhitting

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 01:26 PM)
Most of the time it has been his fault, cause he's had extremely high pitch counts. I'm not knocking him, he's been fantastic this season but he definitely hasn't been economic with his pitches.

Bingo.

I'm a little suprised he's not being compared to the 2006 version of Javier Vazquez actually.

Maybe that's because Danks' is actually pitching well though.

Carlos and Jenks should absolutely be in the game and one of the following - Dye, Linebrink, Danks, Vasquez, Floyd, Crede deserve to be selected. You can't have a first place team with only 2 all-star and reserves at that. out starting pitching has been fantastic this season both starting and bullpen and crede/dye have been killing the ball.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 02:20 AM)
Carlos and Jenks should absolutely be in the game and one of the following - Dye, Linebrink, Danks, Vasquez, Floyd, Crede deserve to be selected. You can't have a first place team with only 2 all-star and reserves at that. out starting pitching has been fantastic this season both starting and bullpen and crede/dye have been killing the ball.

Vazquez? Ha!

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 11:38 PM)
I hate All Star voting. Hamilton and probably Mauer are the only two starters that deserve to be there. To me Mauer is even stretching it. You could argue Pedroia as well, but Youkalis, Jeter, Ortiz? Come on now.

I wish they did like they do HOF voting. I wouldn't mind it if the coaches voted starters in either.

Edited by jenks45monster