Why not Wise

TCQ

Why not leadoff Wise when he plays. I know he is not the answer for this team, but we should rise his hot streak. He can steal bases and has done well since being recalled. OC is not a true leadoff guy and if you put him at two you could move AJ behind Jermaine maybe or even put him towards the end, to give him more of chance to knock in runs with the way hes been hitting.

I know this isnt the solution for the rest of the year but a shakeup wouldnt hurt.

Except maybe not today against a good lefty weve never seen, nothing will help us today. :lolhitting :gosox1:

QUOTE (TCQ @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 07:10 AM)
Why not leadoff Wise when he plays. I know he is not the answer for this team, but we should rise his hot streak. He can steal bases and has done well since being recalled. OC is not a true leadoff guy and if you put him at two you could move AJ behind Jermaine maybe or even put him towards the end, to give him more of chance to knock in runs with the way hes been hitting.

I know this isnt the solution for the rest of the year but a shakeup wouldnt hurt.

Except maybe not today against a good lefty weve never seen, nothing will help us today. :lolhitting :gosox1:

I like it. Anything to keep BA out of the line-up, I'm for.

QUOTE (TCQ @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 11:50 AM)
Exactly but this wont happen because most likely the same logic that ozzie placed on the uribe situation. Alexei doing good, and Uribe comes in and gets one hit and he starts the next three games.

Whether intentionally or not you're comparing DeWayne Wise to Alexei Ramirez. Wise has something resembling a track record in MLB to go along with a career batting average in the minors of .259 and a OBP of .310 (with TONS of at-bats, and there's a reason for it). Good 4th or 5th outfielder but nothing more. And as a leadoff hitter? No thanks.

OC's raised his average from the low .200's to around .275 and you want to replace him in the leadoff spot?

He's been argubly our best hitter for the past month. It's the guys behind him who have been the problem.

At no point did i say is the savior. Also id like for someone to make an argument as to why not to give him a chance to leadoff, other than sayin cabrera is doing well. Cabrera did not leadoff last year and he hit 300. I know Wise wont be able to keep it up all year most likely, but why not ride his current hot streak?

QUOTE (TCQ @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 01:18 PM)
At no point did i say is the savior. Also id like for someone to make an argument as to why not to give him a chance to leadoff, other than sayin cabrera is doing well. Cabrera did not leadoff last year and he hit 300. I know Wise wont be able to keep it up all year most likely, but why not ride his current hot streak?

The fact that Cabrera is doing well there, now, is plenty of reason not to move him. Wise more than likely will flame out in a few days and then you've got to let him play long enough to make sure he has flamed out, then put Cabrera back in the lead off spot and hope he is still comfortable there.

Edited by YASNY

QUOTE (TCQ @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 02:18 PM)

As YASNY pointed out, essentially you just said "other than the fact that it's perfectly fine and the guy currently in that role isn't the problem, why shouldn't we change it?"

Wise is not the answer to our leadoff problem. Let's remember that the only reason he's on the team is b/c PK is on the DL. If not for that he'd be in Charlotte. Wise is probably just another AAAA player and will not give us a better chance at winning by batting 1 instead of OC who's hitting great over the last month.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 01:12 PM)
Wise is not the answer to our leadoff problem. Let's remember that the only reason he's on the team is b/c PK is on the DL. If not for that he'd be in Charlotte. Wise is probably just another AAAA player and will not give us a better chance at winning by batting 1 instead of OC who's hitting great over the last month.
Quentin wasn't meant to be our savior either.. He made the team instead of Owens.. Where would we be with Owens? I really like Brian he's improved much.. To put Wise in the #1 spot would be an experiment but the Cabrera might take that as an insult and throw a tantrum.. A selfless hitter with results is needed in the #1 and 2 spots.. Cabrera has his own agenda.. I would love to follow this experiment.. I like what Aj brings in the #2 hole but I can see Alexei hitting #2 also.. As far as Wise playing so far.. I'd say he deserves a spot whether he'll keep it up I'd say he should remain and I always go by the words from the song" when you're hot you're hot" he's a better option than Swisher in center I wonder if Wise can play first.......................................

QUOTE (forrestg @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 05:39 PM)
Quentin wasn't meant to be our savior either.. He made the team instead of Owens.. Where would we be with Owens? I really like Brian he's improved much.. To put Wise in the #1 spot would be an experiment but the Cabrera might take that as an insult and throw a tantrum.. A selfless hitter with results is needed in the #1 and 2 spots.. Cabrera has his own agenda.. I would love to follow this experiment.. I like what Aj brings in the #2 hole but I can see Alexei hitting #2 also.. As far as Wise playing so far.. I'd say he deserves a spot whether he'll keep it up I'd say he should remain and I always go by the words from the song" when you're hot you're hot" he's a better option than Swisher in center I wonder if Wise can play first.......................................

Quentin was the 20th best prospect in baseball in 2006 according to BA...Dewayne Wise is a 30 year old journeyman minor leaguer who has a career .210 average. There's a reason why Quentin can be realistically thought of as "the savior."

I also don't know where people get this idea that Cabrera is some rebel who only cares about himself, but I do think he cares about his future financially and will do a lot to make himself an attractive option to teams on the free agent market. Having a reputation as a shortstop with a good glove while also having few errors this year would make sense as to why he did what he did. It doesn't make it right, but it makes sense. I've seen nothing on the field to suggest that Cabrera isn't a team player. So "his own agenda"...yeah, it's to make money in the free agent market this offseason.

And Nick Swisher is probably 3 times the ballplayer Dewayne Wise is. And wondering if he can play 1B is the same logic that went through Ozzie's head when he wondered if Timo Perez was a 1Bman, because comparing Dewayne Wise and Timo Perez is a hell of a lot more realistic than comparing Nick Swisher, Orlando Cabrera, or Alexei Ramirez to Dewayne Wise.

And no, Dewayne Wise shouldn't hit anywhere near the top of the order. Don't do something that crazy with the lineup. If anything, just wait for big Jim to get back in the middle, let it marinate for a few days, and see if what comes out tastes good.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Jun 27, 2008 -> 06:56 PM)
Wise's line today 0 for 4 with 3 k's thats why he's not our new leadoff man

I don't get why people are so high on this guy. He had a good 20 at bats and now it's let's release so and so and make him our lead off hitter.

Thank goodness they're not running the team.

QUOTE (gosox41 @ Jun 27, 2008 -> 08:28 PM)
I don't get why people are so high on this guy. He had a good 20 at bats and now it's let's release so and so and make him our lead off hitter.

Thank goodness they're not running the team.

The same could be said about people like you giving up on him after 1 day?