Name a VP and Vett

HuskyCaucasian

Choose a VP  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Who Should Barack Obama Choose to Be His VP?

• Hillary Clinton
    • John Edwards
    • Bill Richardson
    • Jim Webb
    • Wesley Clark
    • Joe Biden
    • OTHER
  2. 2. Who Should John McCain Choose to Be His VP?

• Mike Huckabee
    • Mitt Romney
    • Bobby Jindal
    • Charlie Crist
    • Tim Pawlenty
    • Kay Bailey Hutchison
    • Joe Lieberman

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jun 30, 2008 -> 10:45 PM)
no he didn't

at all.

but Obama decided he'd rather "save face" than to have his surrogate's back. spineless.

He has pretty much everytime in this election cycle... think how many people have "resigned" from his campaigns during the primaries already.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chuck Todd said he is hearing a LOT of rumbling behind that scenes that there is a push for Obama to take a Catholic with foreign policy experience.

The foreign policy is obvious, but the catholic part is to reach out to Hispanics and the religious right.

The name being heavily floated is Chis Dodd.

But I think the Countrywide Financial loan scandal might make that not very attractive to Obama.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 05:48 PM)
Chuck Todd said he is hearing a LOT of rumbling behind that scenes that there is a push for Obama to take a Catholic with foreign policy experience.

The foreign policy is obvious, but the catholic part is to reach out to Hispanics and the religious right.

But I think the Countrywide Financial loan scandal might make that not very attractive to Obama.

They want Hispanics, and they want foreign policy experience? And a catholic?

Bill Richardson, your table is ready.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 05:50 PM)
They want Hispanics, and they want foreign policy experience? And a catholic?

Bill Richardson, your table is ready.

Man i dunno. I like him a LOT, but I dont have a lot of faith in his discipline. He kind of scares me as a bit of a loose cannon. He's a tough talker though, so Obama might need someone like that.

I feel conflicted. But my record shows if I had to pick Obama VP, Edwards would be first, Richardson second.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jun 30, 2008 -> 10:45 PM)
no he didn't

at all.

but Obama decided he'd rather "save face" than to have his surrogate's back. spineless.

"The Senator says his comments Monday about his opponent were not a reference to Wesley Clark’s comment about McCain.

“I think my staff will confirm that was in a draft of that speech that I had written two months ago.”

Also says Clark doesn’t owe McCain an apology. "

http://thepage.time.com/2008/07/01/mccain-...lark-statement/

I didn't find Clark's comments particularly harsh but I hate to hear the criticism of his military service, and I don't see him being the VP pick. If I had to guess I'd say he'll pick Richardson and think if he's the one who Obama believes would be the best President of the bunch then he should pick him. Otherwise I hope that is the largest factor in his decision.

Edited by KipWellsFan

QUOTE (KipWellsFan @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 10:11 PM)
"The Senator says his comments Monday about his opponent were not a reference to Wesley Clark’s comment about McCain.

“I think my staff will confirm that was in a draft of that speech that I had written two months ago.”

Also says Clark doesn’t owe McCain an apology. "

http://thepage.time.com/2008/07/01/mccain-...lark-statement/

I didn't find Clark's comments particularly harsh but I hate to hear the criticism of his military service, and I don't see him being the VP pick. If I had to guess I'd say he'll pick Richardson and think if he's the one who Obama believes would be the best President of the bunch then he should pick him. Otherwise I hope that is the largest factor in his decision.

yeah a latino will help him w/ blue collar whites... that's really the downside to richardson in all honesty. clark would have been perfect.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 05:48 PM)

That would be a dream come true for the GOP. Ethics? Ties to big business? Influence peddling? It won't happen.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 05:53 PM)
Man i dunno. I like him a LOT, but I dont have a lot of faith in his discipline. He kind of scares me as a bit of a loose cannon. He's a tough talker though, so Obama might need someone like that.

I feel conflicted. But my record shows if I had to pick Obama VP, Edwards would be first, Richardson second.

Loose cannon? That's nothing I've seen before. My biggest worries with Obama would be his lack of charisma and public speaking ability, and perhaps if something from his past comes up to bite him. And I don't mean stupid little stuff like the whole baseball thing - I mean if it turns out he's a womanizer, which has been suspected for some time. Nothing specific has come up in that area yet, beyond some mildly over the top flirting, but it may indicate an underlying issue.

Loose cannon? Edwards is much more of that than Richardson, IMO.

I just heard Bill RIchardson on Larry King Live talking about the Columbia hostage situation.

Obama..... pick this man. He'll make John McCain look like a 4th grader when it comes to foreign policy and knowledge (not that McCain hasn't already mad himself look like a 4th grader)

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 08:30 PM)
I just heard Bill RIchardson on Larry King Live talking about the Columbia hostage situation.

Obama..... pick this man. He'll make John McCain look like a 4th grader when it comes to foreign policy and knowledge (not that McCain hasn't already mad himself look like a 4th grader)

Didn't you just say the other day that he was a loose cannon, and you'd rather see Edwards?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 08:37 AM)
Didn't you just say the other day that he was a loose cannon, and you'd rather see Edwards?

I would absolutely. But I dont think Edwards wants to be VP again. He's said no, then well maybe. but in the end I dont htink he wants it. Richardson is my second choice, but he does scare me a little. What he said last night really impressed me. I think the campaign will have to keep Richardson on message, but he'd be a solid choice, he jut worries me a little.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 08:21 AM)
I would absolutely. But I dont think Edwards wants to be VP again. He's said no, then well maybe. but in the end I dont htink he wants it. Richardson is my second choice, but he does scare me a little. What he said last night really impressed me. I think the campaign will have to keep Richardson on message, but he'd be a solid choice, he jut worries me a little.

Did I miss the Edwards Vice-Presidency? :D

Edited by Cknolls

Veep / Cabinet Alert?

Hagel to Join Obama on Iraq Trip

The buzz this week that Republican Sen. Chuck Hagel of Nebraska is planning to join Sen. Barack Obama on an up-coming visit to Iraq is correct, two sources with knowledge of the trip confirmed Friday.

A spokesman for Sen. Obama declined to comment on any details or even confirm the date uncertain trip, citing security concerns. A spokesman for Sen. Hagel did not respond to requests for comment.

While it is standard practice for such trips—known as CODELS, or congressional delegations—to be bipartisan, in this highly charged election year it is likely to raise eyebrows that the retiring Nebraskan senator—a prominent Iraq War critic—is the Republican expected to join the Democratic Party’s presidential nominee on what is sure to be a closely watched visit to the region.

Adding to the intrigue is the fact that Sen. Hagel has not yet endorsed a candidate in the race, and he has offered kind words for both Obama and Republican rival Sen. John McCain, although the two Republicans differ greatly on the war.

Hagel’s name has also been mentioned in the chatter over Obama’s running mate—he told the Associated Press in June that he would consider a vice presidential invitation, although he conceded such an offer is unlikely. Hagel has also been discussed as a speculative candidate for a Cabinet post if Obama is elected in November.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 01:25 PM)
okay, so Hagel agrees with Obama on one thing, the war, and is adverse to him on everything else. Find someone else please.

I would actually applaud any cabinet OR VP choice that wasn't right in line with Obama on everything. One of the reasons I like Obama's plan for management in his office is that it includes people with different viewpoints. If you want a President who surrounds himself with think-alikes, you already have one in Bush.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 02:25 PM)
okay, so Hagel agrees with Obama on one thing, the war, and is adverse to him on everything else. Find someone else please.

I dont think Obama will pick Hagel, but I want to try and play devil's advicate here just for the sake of argument. The centuries old belief is that the VP has t be lock step with the president in nearly everything. I did the research and these two really only seem to agree on Iraq when it comes to major issues.

What if the VP was used to target a curtain policy? Like say... foreign policy?

Cheny has largely been Bush's energy czar / foreign policy string puller. I think you can have an "issue" VP.

I think this trip will give the two of them plenty of free, private time to talk about the VP spot.

With all that being said, Richardson or Edwards would be a far more logical choice. Richardson has the foreign policy experience and has similar beliefs on other issues.