Name a VP and Vett

HuskyCaucasian

Choose a VP  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Who Should Barack Obama Choose to Be His VP?

• Hillary Clinton
    • John Edwards
    • Bill Richardson
    • Jim Webb
    • Wesley Clark
    • Joe Biden
    • OTHER
  2. 2. Who Should John McCain Choose to Be His VP?

• Mike Huckabee
    • Mitt Romney
    • Bobby Jindal
    • Charlie Crist
    • Tim Pawlenty
    • Kay Bailey Hutchison
    • Joe Lieberman

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 05:40 PM)
Can I get ruling:

when each candidate announces their VP, should the announcement be n this thread, the Dem/Rep thread, or a new thread for each?

I was planning on starting a new thread, but I dont want to overstep my bounds.

I'd say start a new thread. Once its officially announced, for either one, there will be much discussion on the matter.

I took a look at the upcoming calender and I want to project when Obama will name his VP.

Obama will be overseas 7/22-7/30ish.

The Olympics are 8/8-8/24

The Dem Convention is 8/25-8/28

There is a very small window there. Most believe he wont name his VP during the Olympics and not before he heads overseas.

So, we are looking at 7/31-8/7.

Obama will want his VP to get some coverage before the Olympics. So, I am projecting August 3-5.

What about McCain? Well, the Rep Convention is Sep 1.

Maybe McCain names his VP while Obama is overseas to steal the news coverage away from him. The other options are during the olympics (bad idea), or IMMEDIATELY after the Dem. Convention August 30th? A Saturday? hmmm... maybe not. I dunno with McCain. It's a tough call.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 03:16 PM)
I took a look at the upcoming calender and I want to project when Obama will name his VP.

Obama will be overseas 7/22-7/30ish.

The Olympics are 8/8-8/24

The Dem Convention is 8/25-8/28

There is a very small window there. Most believe he wont name his VP during the Olympics and not before he heads overseas.

So, we are looking at 7/31-8/7.

Obama will want his VP to get some coverage before the Olympics. So, I am projecting August 3-5.

What about McCain? Well, the Rep Convention is Sep 1.

Maybe McCain names his VP while Obama is overseas to steal the news coverage away from him. The other options are during the olympics (bad idea), or IMMEDIATELY after the Dem. Convention August 30th? A Saturday? hmmm... maybe not. I dunno with McCain. It's a tough call.

Obama will have plenty of time during the Olympics. I don't think his getting attention will be a problem.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 06:19 AM)
Obama will have plenty of time during the Olympics. I don't think his getting attention will be a problem.

Yah, I don't buy that Olympics things either.

p.s. Mark Halperin was on Charlie Rose the other night and thought the frontrunners for Obama are Tim Kaine, Kathleen Sebelius, and Evan Bayh. Romney for McCain.

QUOTE (KipWellsFan @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 12:51 PM)
Yah, I don't buy that Olympics things either.

p.s. Mark Halperin was on Charlie Rose the other night and thought the frontrunners for Obama are Tim Kaine, Kathleen Sebelius, and Evan Bayh. Romney for McCain.

I dont by Tim Kaine, Kathleen Sebelius. But Evan Bayh is jumping up the charts apparently. Basically, for 2 reasons: a Hillary Supporter and "do no harm"

McCain closes in on VP, could be named in the next week

John McCain has narrowed his vice-presidential possibilities to the point where he considered a decision this week -- but he’s likely to hold off, say sources close to the campaign.

The prospect of stepping on Barack Obama's much-anticipated overseas trip with the headline-grabbing news was discussed among the small inner-circle of McCain aides and advisers privy to the running mate decision, according to a McCain source.

This person declined to categorically rule out an announcement in the coming days, but other plugged-in sources said it was unlikely.

Officially, McCain representaives declined to comment.

But, relishing the diversion, they also did not discourage the speculation.

“A smart feint,” one Republican source said.

One inner-circle McCain adviser said the longtime plans are to name the selection close to the Republican convention, on the theory that all that really matters is the final sprint to Election Day.

“No one is panicking about this week,” the adviser said. “Frankly, it is excellent for the press to be getting Obamamania out of their system.”

Rumors first circulated last week among GOP insiders about a possible July announcement. The columnist Robert Novak touched off a frenzy Monday evening when he posted an item -- quickly linked by Drudge -- reporting that McCain would "reveal the name of his vice presidential selection this week."

The window on an announcement is, however, closing. The Olympics begin August 8th and run until the 24th. To ensure maximum news coverage of their pick, neither campaign wants to go public with their decision during the international spectacle. And immediately after, the Democrats begin their convention. McCain, of course, does not want to make his pick during this period, either.

CNN.com- McCain camp: Talk of a VP announcement this week

Sources in John McCain's campaign confirm to Dana Bash and Gloria Borger that there have been recent discussions high in the campaign about the possibility of naming a running mate this week.

One source tells CNN that “no decision has been made” by the candidate. Another says that some within the campaign are arguing to hold off until Obama has been his decision “so there is an opportunity to counter-program.” In any case, a campaign source adds, this does mean that the choice has been “narrowed” in McCain’s mind to the point where he could, if he were so inclined, spring a decision this week.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal Pulls Out of VP Race

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal said Wednesday he will not run for vice president on the GOP ticket, making him among a growing number of those pulling themselves out of the race.

Jindal’s comments come as speculation is swirling that John McCain might announce his running mate choice imminently, as a way to draw attention away from Barack Obama’s high-profile overseas trip.

The Louisiana governor told “FOX & Friends” that he’d be “surprised” if the McCain campaign came down with a decision this week. And he threw water on the buzz about his own chances.

“Let me be clear: I have said in every private and public conversation, I’ve got the job that I want. And I’ll say again on air: I’m not going to be the vice presidential nominee or vice president. I’m going to help Senator McCain get elected, as governor of Louisiana,” Jindal said.

Looks like it's down to Tim Pawlenty or Mitt Romney.

Republican Woman Floated as Obama VP Possibility

Barack Obama's vice presidential search team has floated the name of a member of President Bush's first-term Cabinet, Agriculture Secretary Ann Veneman, as Obama's running mate.

The search committee, now led by Caroline Kennedy and Eric Holder, raised Veneman's name — among others — in discussions with members of Congress, two Democrats familiar with the conversations said.

The mention of Veneman's name surprised Democratic lawmakers. The low-profile Republican was close to food and agriculture industries but clashed with farm-state Democrats and environmentalists during her tenure, which lasted from 2001 to 2004.

But Veneman, 59, has a biography that could be suited to Obama's unifying message. A Republican raised on a California peach farm, she rose to become the nation’s first female agriculture secretary. In 2002 she was diagnosed with breast cancer, which was treated successfully. Today she serves as executive director of the United Nations children's agency, UNICEF.

Obama may be close to a VP pick:

Obama departed Reagan-National Airport in DC 10 minutes ago en route to his economic event.

It's worth noting that campaign manager David Plouffe is traveling with the candidate today (which I understand has happened only a handful of times so far this campaign). He's joining David Axelrod and Robert Gibbs for the DC trip.

As I noted Friday, Caroline Kennedy is in Washington or a DNC Victory Fund event. Eric Holder, the other VP search team leader, is based in DC.

The convergence of all the senior staff here with that search committee only further signals that the process is at a critical stage. The campaign, of course, is not commenting on it.

Kaine 'very, very high' on VP shortlist

As Senator Barack Obama turns to the choice of his running mate, Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine has emerged as one of the campaign’s potential finalists, sources familiar with conversations in Richmond and in Chicago said.

Kaine, an early Obama supporter whose biography nicely dovetails with the Illinois senator’s, "ranks very, very high on the short list," said a source who has spoken recently to senior Obama aides about Kaine.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

Kaine's Wednesday

PolitickerMD reports that he's removed an event from his schedule tomorrow night.

I think it's now safe to say that he's the main object of speculation; which could mean Obama's going to pick him, or that it's a convenient distraction while Obama holds a secrets summit with Edwards.

Not that Edwards. The other Edwards.

LINK

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 01:29 PM)
Most political blogs I am reading seem to think that McCain's pick will be Pawlenty from Minnesota.

Evangelicals To McCain: Do Not Pick Romney

Prominent evangelical leaders are warning Sen. John McCain against picking former Massachusetts Gov. and Mormon Mitt Romney as his running mate, saying their troops will abandon the Republican ticket on Election Day if that happens.

They say Mr. Romney lacks trust on issues such as outlawing abortion and opposing same-sex marriage and because he is a Mormon. Opposition is particularly powerful among those who supported former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee in the Republican presidential primaries earlier this year.

I have a feeling my origial projection of Aug 2-4th may be coming to fruition:

Obama Visits VP Vetter's Office Again

Obama again visted veep vetter Eric Holder's office. Reporters following the candidate spotted him walking into Holder's downtown DC office building this afternoon. Obama was at the office yesterday as well.

Combine that with the above linked story of Kaine canceling an appointment on Wednesday.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 01:22 PM)
Decent write up by Howard Fineman of a potential Kaine pick: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25912762/

Check out this interview with Fineman. The end is telling.

He said flat out that he talked to one of the 3 finalists and it is indeed down to Bayh, Bidden, Kaine. The vetting is over. Done. It's now up to Obama to pick one of the three. He can announce at anytime now. Possibly right before the olympics.

For what it's worth, on Race for the White House, Gregory said that McCain has not asked for any "paperwork" from his finalists. So, it looks like he is nto close to picking just yet.