Name a VP and Vett

HuskyCaucasian

Choose a VP  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Who Should Barack Obama Choose to Be His VP?

• Hillary Clinton
    • John Edwards
    • Bill Richardson
    • Jim Webb
    • Wesley Clark
    • Joe Biden
    • OTHER
  2. 2. Who Should John McCain Choose to Be His VP?

• Mike Huckabee
    • Mitt Romney
    • Bobby Jindal
    • Charlie Crist
    • Tim Pawlenty
    • Kay Bailey Hutchison
    • Joe Lieberman

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 10:36 AM)
when Fineman says he's talked directly to one of the 3 and that person confirmed it's down to those 3, it's good enough for me.

Not for me. Given the atmosphere around it, I think you don't really know until its announced.

That said, I am really surprised how little discussion Richardson got for the job. To me, he fit the right pegs that Obama was missing, better than anyone else mentioned.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 08:41 AM)
That said, I am really surprised how little discussion Richardson got for the job. To me, he fit the right pegs that Obama was missing, better than anyone else mentioned.

I think Richardson's problem was in the vetting process honestly...and he probably knew that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 10:42 AM)
I think Richardson's problem was in the vetting process honestly...and he probably knew that.

As much as I love Richardson, I have a feeling there's some skeletons out there. Not "love child" stuff, but derogatory comments... stuff like that.

Maybe it is Bayh:

On the Veepwatch front, nothing's on Obama's schedule yet, but the traveling press registration e-mail has us flying to South Bend at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday and not leaving until 3:25 p.m. the next day.

It seems seems like an awfully long time to be in one place. (Where exactly is Evan Bayh?)

Bayh's home town is near Terre Haute, Ind. -- about four-hour drive from South Bend. But South Bend is a nice geographical point between Illinois and Ohio, and just south of the Michigan line

Obama communications stretegist Robert Gibbs says all that shoudl be taken from it is that "Indiana is competitive and winnable for us," he said.

If so my projection of the week before the Olympics was dead on :)

QUOTE (Chet Lemon @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 04:13 PM)
I wonder why we don't hear Ed Rendell's name mentioned more as a possible running mate for Obama.

1) Obama doesnt need him to win PA

2) I dont think he's that "sexy" of a pick to be honest. He's ok, but doesnt strike me as an "obama guy". And, he kinda gives me that "grumpy old man" feeling and we already have one of those in this race ;)

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 12:12 PM)
He was also a big time Hillary person in the primary campaign.

So was Bayh. Which is part of the idea: pacify Hillary supporters and amplify their enthusiasm for the candidate that beat theirs in the primary.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 06:49 PM)
1) Obama doesnt need him to win PA

I still never understand why pudnits assert that all presidential candidates choose their running mates based on winning their home states. Bush clearly didn't need Cheney to win Wyoming.

Kerry didn't pick Edwards to win his Senate state North Carolina or his birth state, South Carolina. Ditto Dole and Kemp. Ditto Dukakis and Bentsen. They knew their running mates' home states were unwinnable.

Gore didn't choose Lieberman cuz he thought he would lose Connecticut without him. Ditto Bush and Quayle.

QUOTE (Chet Lemon @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 01:05 PM)
I still never understand why pudnits assert that all presidential candidates choose their running mates based on winning their home states. Bush clearly didn't need Cheney to win Wyoming.

Kerry didn't pick Edwards to win his Senate state North Carolina or his birth state, South Carolina. Ditto Dole and Kemp. Ditto Dukakis and Bentsen. They knew their running mates' home states were unwinnable.

Gore didn't choose Lieberman cuz he thought he would lose Connecticut without him. Ditto Bush and Quayle.

Nice example - Cheney in WY?

I think its a factor, like many things. But its not factor #1, and its only helpful for states that are currently in play. WY was never in play for the Dems in 2000, NC wasn't in play for Kerry in '04.

But, look at some candidates' potential choices right now. VA is very tight, so choosing a native son could be a big help for either candidate. Same with IN.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 2, 2008 -> 04:15 PM)
Maybe it is Bayh:

If so my projection of the week before the Olympics was dead on :)

Obama will name Bayh his VP choice on Wednesday?

2. Barack Obama is coming to the state on Tuesday afternoon for a campaign stop in Elkhart, Indiana. He'll be attending with Evan Bayh. The press has been told to plan on staying until Wednesday afternoon/evening. Why would he spend so much time in Indiana with nothing on his public calendar?

3. Staying around Indiana allows Obama and Bayh to travel to Illinois, Michigan, and Ohio - all important states in this election. When you've just announced your VP, those are states you'll want to visit - especially since Bayh's reputation will help the most in those states.

5. I just got an invite from the Obama campaign to attend an appearance on Wednesday that isn't on Obama's official calendar. Why not? The campaign said, "I can't tell you what the event is about, but we want to make sure you have a ticket so you can cover it for the Bilerico Project. We want Bilerico Project to be there for this one."

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 12:29 PM)
Interesting. I wouldn't mind seeing an Obama/Bayh ticket.

He does bring "executive branch" experience with him, up to and including enforcement of putting a foot upside ss2k's ass out of the capital building of Indiana. :lol:

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 01:29 PM)
Interesting. I wouldn't mind seeing an Obama/Bayh ticket.

This whole build up smells a lot to me like the Edwards endorsement. you get a little here and a little there. But never a "It's HIM" moment until right before the event.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 01:30 PM)
He does bring "executive branch" experience with him, up to and including enforcement of putting a foot upside ss2k's ass out of the capital building of Indiana. :lol:

I can't say anything if that happens, because it would be a federal crime at that point... ;)

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 12:30 PM)

That's the best f***ing reason I've ever had to vote Democrat.

QUOTE (Chet Lemon @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 07:19 PM)
Choosing Bayh carries some risk from the Democrats' perspective. If Gov. Daniels is re-elected in November, he will name Bayh's replacement in the Senate, which will be a Republican.

Yeah, but I kind of doubt the dems are too worried about losing the Senate.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 08:01 PM)
That's the best f***ing reason I've ever had to vote Democrat.

Daniels, by all accounts, is a f***ing idiot. But I don't live there anymore, I just hear it from people who do.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 09:22 PM)
Daniels, by all accounts, is a f***ing idiot. But I don't live there anymore, I just hear it from people who do.

Send ss2k to him to see how he deals with a potentially dangerous situation....

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 09:01 PM)

Of course losing Bayh's seat in the Senate would not lose control of the Senate for the Dems, but they are making a huge push to get the highest number possible over 50.