Sox Bullpen Best Ever?!

elrockinMT

Joe Morgan said it to Jon Miller on ESPN Sunday Baseball. He made the statement that the Chisox bullpen was the best he had ever seen in his baseball career. Now you can take that for what it's worth, or argue about it, or whatever, but I have a lot of respect for Joe Morgan and when a player and now broadcaster with his experience says that- well, I think it means something special. :gosox3: :headbang :gosoxretro:

Yes, Morgan saying this bullpen was the best he'd ever seen, and then repeating it later, really made me do a double-take. I immediately thought back to some of those Twins bullpens of a few years back, and even the Angels recently. I hadn't thought of the Sox in that league, but maybe I am not appreciating what we have. Go figure...

SFF

edit: I have to add, it was interesting to hear Morgan turn around and analyze Jenks when he came in. He explained his drop in strikeout rate was due to him throwing a sinking fastball rather that I riding one. He seemed a almost a bit critical in discussing it because he mentioned the downside of hitters being able to make better contact, but didn't offer any theory on why his sinking fastball might be advantageous. Interesting.

Edited by SpringfieldFan

It doesn't matter if it's true or not...

It doesn't even matter that Morgan is a flaming moron...

I'm just glad he said it... several times in fact... on national television.

Nice to have some positive things about the WhiteSox for the national baseball media to talk about for a change.

Edited by scenario

scenario speaks truth...

I also liked how stu scott leading up to the sox cubs game with "when interleague play started everyone was paying attention to the subway series between the yanks and mets, and we all forgot about the El series in Chicago"

Watching this game, the energy in the crowds for these games is incredible. There really are no other games I see like this during the regular season.

If it ever happens, I can't imagine how insane a sox-cubs WS would be. Mercy!

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jun 29, 2008 -> 11:26 PM)
If they keep this up I don't see how you can really argue against it, they are up there. But it's hard to go against the late 80's/early 90's A's with Eckersley, Honeycutt, and Gene Nelson, and the 1990 Reds with the nasty boys.

Great, now I will have 2+ hours of uncontrollable fantasizing about Janet Jackson.

Generally, if Joe Morgan says something, I literally believe the exact opposite of what he is saying to be true. He doesn't feel that walks at the top of the order are a good thing and he's rather have someone up there because he's fast. He said Carlos Guillen was going to be a gold glove 1Bman (and I'm pretty sure he made an error that night) and the next week he'd been moved over to 3B.

So if he says the Sox bullpen is one of the best ever, am I to believe that it is one of the worst ever? I guess Joe Morgan might be sort of right occasionally, because, while one of the best ever is a bold statement at this time, it has been the best bullpen in the league (just an assumption, but I think it's a safe one). Thanks Joe Morgan.

Joe must be loving Thornton's heater and performance of late. And Linebrink's effort yesterday. He was smokin.

Best ever? I don't know.

I will say one thing: If he's right we'll win the WS.

Teams with the best bullpen ever are in good shape.

QUOTE (Maxwell @ Jun 30, 2008 -> 01:50 AM)
Holy s***, ESPN replays games. I'm looking forward to this.

first time youve notice that espn replays there games?

atleast tonight it will be enjoyable .. every other night its usually pretty gay games

It's great the pen has been a big strength this year. It's a key to being in 1st place. And that they are pitching lights out. Yet things can change in a hurry. Let's just hope the sox pen continues throwing in the 2nd half near what they've been doing in the first.