Sox have best record in...........

joeynach

Expected Wins and Losses (X W-L). The mlb.com standings includes the X W-L, which is defined as "Expected won-loss record based on runs scored and runs allowed, using this formula: RS^1.82/((RS^1.82)+(RA^1.82))". We have scored 408 and given up 320. Our record is 48-35, our X W-L is 51-32, the best in baseball, and 1/2 game ahead of the cubs X W-L of 51-33. Just kind of a interesting stat. Some other notables, the Angels are 50-34 and have an X W-L of 43-41, the indians are 37-47 and have an X W-L of 43-41, and the A's are 45-38 and their X W-L is 48-35. I guess its a matter of luck so far, but the sox are facing two teams here before the break that should have more wins but have been slightly unlucky.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 04:39 AM)
Expected Wins and Losses (X W-L). The mlb.com standings includes the X W-L, which is defined as "Expected won-loss record based on runs scored and runs allowed, using this formula: RS^1.82/((RS^1.82)+(RA^1.82))". We have scored 408 and given up 320. Our record is 48-35, our X W-L is 51-32, the best in baseball, and 1/2 game ahead of the cubs X W-L of 51-33. Just kind of a interesting stat. Some other notables, the Angels are 50-34 and have an X W-L of 43-41, the indians are 37-47 and have an X W-L of 43-41, and the A's are 45-38 and their X W-L is 48-35. I guess its a matter of luck so far, but the sox are facing two teams here before the break that should have more wins but have been slightly unlucky.

So that's how X-W-L is calculated?

X W-L is cool cuz it basically shows whether you're over or underperforming. ours shows we're underperforming which is great - because it means we can only go up (theoretically). Whereas the twins are vastly overperforming so the law of averages says they'll taper off.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 01:39 AM)

It makes sense to me. Heck, I remember at least 7 to 8 games where the only reason the club lost was because they absolutely failed to do some very easy fundemental things. Luckily this hasn't really occurred much the past month so I think they are getting that sort of stuff straightened out (with exception to the failure to get in the key run in game one of the Cubs series in Wrigley).

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 10:58 AM)
X W-L is cool cuz it basically shows whether you're over or underperforming. ours shows we're underperforming which is great - because it means we can only go up (theoretically). Whereas the twins are vastly overperforming so the law of averages says they'll taper off.

Yep

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 11:10 PM)
I'm guessing the Twins are almost always on the overperforming part, so it'd be nice if they tailed off but I'm not going to hold my breath for it.

I was just thinking this.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 10:58 AM)

Yeah to a point that's true, but just like any other stat it doesn't tell the full story. Look at what Danks and Floyd have done so far. Can the young guns keep it up or have they overachieved?