Limbaugh to sign $400,000,000 deal

southsider2k5

http://www.drudgereport.com/flashrl.htm

LIMBAUGH SIGNS THROUGH 2016; $400 MILLION DEAL SHATTERS BROADCAST RECORDS

Wed Jul 02 2008 09:02:18 ET

**Exclusive**

The American broadcast industry is rocked, realigned and blasted into a new orbit, yet again, by Rush Limbaugh, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned.

In what is being described as an unprecedented radio contract, Limbaugh will keep his syndicated show on-the-air and e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e through 2016 with CLEAR CHANNEL and PREMIERE RADIO.

Already host of the most lucrative hours since radio's inception, Limbaugh's total package is valued north of $400 million, according to media insiders.

The NEW YORK TIMES will claim this weekend that Limbaugh, marking 20 years this summer as a national host, has secured a 9-figure signing bonus for the new deal, newsroom sources tell DRUDGE.

MORE

In its controversial profile, the TIMES reports that Limbaugh is buying a new G550 jet and is making an estimated $38 million a year.

[The cover photo of the TIMES Sunday magazine depicts Limbaugh 'dark and sinister' in a theme of THE GODFATHER.]

While newspapers and traditional broadcast media are experiencing declining revenues, Limbaugh's golden microphone has turned diamond-laced:

Earnings now pace him ahead of the annual salaries for network news anchors: Katie Couric, Brian Williams, Charlie Gibson and Diane Sawyer — combined!

MORE

The deal represents a stunning triumph over the establishment by an outsider who connected with and captured the spirit of the nations heartland.

Developing...

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 07:58 AM)
Isn't the Fairness Doctrine unconstitutional? ;)

To answer this question seriously...it's probably would pass Constitutional muster pretty easily, because the right to broadcast over the airwaves is something controlled by Congress through its ability to regulate interstate commerce. The FCC and Congress are constantly taking steps to regulate the content sent out over those airwaves because they're broadcast freely to everyone. That's why they're able to say that you can't broadcast, oh, let's say about 7 words, you can't place nudity on the public airwaves, you can't do other things termed "Indecent" because although the government can't place limits on your ability to open up a blog and rant about something, they can place limits on what goes out over airwaves they control, and there's no reason to expect that they couldn't limit the content however they wanted.

Ok, now resume humorous posting.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 10:17 AM)
Anyone remember what Howard Stern's deal involved when he went to Sirius? I know $500,000,000 was thrown around, but if I remember correctly, I think a lot of that was tied into stock options so I wonder how they compare.

I've heard $500M + $200M in stock options.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 05:52 PM)
that they don't control talk radio i suppose

Clear Channel owns a lot of radio stations. A lot of them Over 1000 of them actually. They also have a stake in XM. They also until this year owned 40 television stations.

And the people that run Clear Channel are very strong GOP proponents. They actually are "mainstream media." As much as they don't want to admit it.

They also gave Air America a shot, running them in 25 markets or so, with not much success.