Hoping for a rainout tonight...

maggsmaggs

I am really hoping for a rainout tonight, which is probably the first time I have ever wished for one. Why?

C.C. Sabathia against Jose Contreras is not a good matchup for us and even though we have the six game winstreak, I would rather make this game up with the Indians when they either don't have Sabathia or we probably don't have to face him in the makeup game. Am I wrong to think this? Is anyone else hoping for the rainout?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 11:51 AM)
I am really hoping for a rainout tonight, which is probably the first time I have ever wished for one. Why?

C.C. Sabathia against Jose Contreras is not a good matchup for us and even though we have the six game winstreak, I would rather make this game up with the Indians when they either don't have Sabathia or we probably don't have to face him in the makeup game. Am I wrong to think this? Is anyone else hoping for the rainout?

I sure hope the team doesn't feel the same way. I can't imagine us winning it all with guys wanting to avoid the best players of the opposing team. If we're for real we shouldn't be afraid of anyone.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 12:52 PM)
No. We have momentum. It would suck having two days off in a row.

It could also be very beneficial though, especially with some very close games against Oakland due to their phenomenal pitching, I think having an off-day would keep our pen fresh and hopefully allow Bobby to be ready for 2 or 3 games this weekend.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 01:00 PM)
It could also be very beneficial though, especially with some very close games against Oakland due to their phenomenal pitching, I think having an off-day would keep our pen fresh and hopefully allow Bobby to be ready for 2 or 3 games this weekend.

No one should want a day off competitors want to play and win everyday

Rule no. 75 no excuses play like a champion.

Doesn't Cleveland have to face that Contreras fellow? When he's on he's as nasty as any pitcher in baseball.

It's time to stop being afraid of other teams' pitchers or hitters and realize...the rest of the league should have a hell of a lot to fear from us. John Danks shouldn't fear Cliff Lee and Rich Harden, Rich Harden and Cliff Lee should fear John Danks. The Sox shouldn't fear Captain Cheeseburger, Captain Cheeseburger should be afraid that his hot streak is running in to Swisher's Slam streak. And Q's just better than them all anyway.

QUOTE (TCQ @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 11:07 AM)
Grinder Rule no. 75 no excuses play like a champion.

Fixed :P

I want to kick back, have a couple of beers, and watch baseball tonight. And I want the Sox to step up and stick it to Sabathia. Therefore, a rainout would suck IMO.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 01:21 PM)
Doesn't Cleveland have to face that Contreras fellow? When he's on he's as nasty as any pitcher in baseball.

It's time to stop being afraid of other teams' pitchers or hitters and realize...the rest of the league should have a hell of a lot to fear from us. John Danks shouldn't fear Cliff Lee and Rich Harden, Rich Harden and Cliff Lee should fear John Danks. The Sox shouldn't fear Captain Cheeseburger, Captain Cheeseburger should be afraid that his hot streak is running in to Swisher's Slam streak. And Q's just better than them all anyway.

I realize this, but Sabathia is pitching better than anyone in baseball. Contreras has not been pitching that well his last 4 starts, an 8.60 ERA in those last four. Sabathia has a 1.13 ERA his last four starts, so the pitching matchup is slanted much toward Cleveland. I realize Danks is a different case because he is actually pitching well, but Contreras has been garbage his last few times out while Sabathia has been dominant.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 01:29 PM)
I realize this, but Sabathia is pitching better than anyone in baseball. Contreras has not been pitching that well his last 4 starts, an 8.60 ERA in those last four. Sabathia has a 1.13 ERA his last four starts, so the pitching matchup is slanted much toward Cleveland. I realize Danks is a different case because he is actually pitching well, but Contreras has been garbage his last few times out while Sabathia has been dominant.

1st place teams dont hope for rainouts against division opposition. No matter who the opposing pitcher is.

In the playoffs, teams face nothing but the best. You want your team to be ready for the best

ill partially agree with you.

I would love not to see C.C. tongiht or ever again for that matter.

I would also love to skip Jose for a start to rest him, but we are on FIRE right now. I think we can win this game or anygame the way we are playing.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 12:29 PM)

He's been terrible in 2 of his last 4. The other 2 outings were decent.

nah, I hope they play it. It's been a successfull series so far. If the Twins score holds and the Sox lose, they won't gain any ground from the beginning of the series and the Tigers will have lost ground. Cle is a struggling team, but a minimum of 2 out of 3 when facing Lee and Sabathia in a series is good.

I would rather them play this game then have some goofy make-up doubleheader or the like later in the year

Beat Cleveland and CC tonight and you can put a fork in the Indians because their season is ovah. THey came into the series needing to win at least 2 of three to give them any hope of catching the Sox. If they get swept,including beating their 2 aces, they will be severely demoralized and pack it in for the year. Sabathia will be traded soon after this game,especially if the Sox beat him. Even the Cleveland announcers were saying last night that they had to win the last 2 of the series to keep any legitimate hope alive for getting back into it. Besides, all the Sox have to do is keep it close until the Indians bring in their 85mph, batting pratice tossing closer to blow another one.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 06:51 PM)

To be the best, you've got to beat the best. Beating Sabathia would give the Sox even more confidence heading into the Oakland series.

Besides, come playoff time, the Sox will be facing teams' best and 2nd best pitchers so they've got to start beating them now.