Where I was today

Texsox

The northern Mexico coast and southern Texas is the nesting ground for several endangered species of Sea Turtles. Volunteers patrol the beaches looking for nesting females and retrieve the eggs and incubate them. Later they are released. This year they have found over 50 nests, double the previous year's best. What is also very cool is a leatherback nested foir the first time in 70 years just north of here. http://www.seaturtleinc.com/

DSCN0112.jpg

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 05:49 PM)
Where's the picture of the sharks and barracudas eating?

:(

Best estimates are 1 in 333 live to reproduce, back on the same section of beach. I was thinking as a fundraiser they should have painted numbers on the back and taken bets. There was also concerns about the gulls that were circling.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 06:54 PM)
Best estimates are 1 in 333 live to reproduce, back on the same section of beach. I was thinking as a fundraiser they should have painted numbers on the back and taken bets. There was also concerns about the gulls that were circling.

I forgot about seagulls.

Rats of the sea.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 05:54 PM)

yeah well maybe if they would evolve to grow some real legs they might reproduce more, haha

Edited by WilliamTell

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 10:20 PM)
Kool beanz, Tex! :headbang

Probably going out on a turtle walk this weekend to see some nesting. The leatherbacks have come and gone and the loggerheads are winding down, but there should still be a lot of greens coming up.

We are talking about turtles still, right? :P

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 12:34 AM)
PLEASE.

These are the only greenies that Flaxx knows these days...

51WGTVC2MPL._SL500_AA280_PIbundle-2,TopR

That's some sort of old guy crack, isn't it?

Well. . . you just stay the hell off my lawn, and don't bother me again until Matlock is over. :fight

:)

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 05:54 PM)

Crabs, Gulls, sharks, rays, fish. Those turtles are in danger as soon as they see the light of day for the first time

Not to mention the danger from vultures, infections and humans when they are eggs.

About half the eggs laid ever actually half, the other half of the nests are contaminated by vultures, disease, humans or other turtles mixing their eggs. Of the eggs that hatch, only one percent of them reach sexual maturity.

I got to participate in a release of Ridley turtles when I was in Nicaragua. If the turtles hatch during the day, the sand will be so hot as to fry them on the way to the water. The people overseeing the beach where the turtles lay their eggs had saved about 150 for release in the evening. By evening, about 20% of them had already died.