So here's something I don't really understand

lostfan

I've been thinking about this the last few days, I've seen it mentioned a couple of times by other posters, and I mentioned it in today's game thread but it won't really get discussed here. Why is Anderson being put in against lefties, and Wise against righties? Because Anderson is good against LHP and Wise against RHP right? Well, no, not so much. Anderson CAN hit RHP although coincidentally all 4 of his HRs came against LHP. This year he's hitting .273 against RHP (over .300 I believe until a couple weeks ago and when Wise got here) and .156 against LHP. Yeah, that's a pretty big gap there that he's not going to close unless he faces them both on a regular basis. For reference's sake - in 2006 he was .249/.204 so it's not just a this year thing.

So, that must mean DeWayne Wise is amazing against RHP right? Well he's hitting .346 right now but that's a microscopic sample size, so let's go back and see his career MLB numbers which is .215... yuck. And this isn't just because he struggled adjusting to MLB pitching in his

The only logical explanation I can think of here is that Ozzie wants Anderson to get work in against lefties, but even still, it's not like he hurts the team against RHP?

Am I that far off base here to be wondering all this?

Edited by lostfan

Yea man maybe your right wise sure did look terrible against borowski on tuesday, we shoulda let anderson hit. That was such a dumb move by ozzie. I mean well never know what anderson woulda done but if i had to guess he woulda got a base hit stole second and scored. O wait

QUOTE (Linnwood @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 07:37 AM)
What is the backstory on the whole Anderson/Communist thing?

It was basically the only logical way we could explain how Ozzie kept losing games in 06 by sticking Mack in CF. Anderson had to be a Red.

Although I'm a firm believer in sample size and guys like Wise don't suddenly "break out" at age 30, in the case of bench players I do think there is such as thing as "riding a hot hand". The Sox should ride Wise until he starts to suck again (and it will happen), at which point BA should be the usual backup for defensive purposes alone.

I've come to the sad conclusion that BA is never going to be a good MLB hitter, his peak seems something like 250/310/480, which with his defense would put him as an above average starter. And that, IMO, is his peak.

So I'm in town, and I was at the game talking mad s*** once I found out Wise was leading off for the Sox today, and how mad I was that he was leading off, then he hits a leadoff home run. Awesome times.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 4, 2008 -> 07:29 PM)
Compare the stats for Brian Anderson and Chris Young (extrapolating BA's out to 342 AB, same as Young), and you have creepily similar numbers.

I haven't actually done as you suggested. But if it is the case, I find it extremely humorous.

Extrapolating BA's 125 AB to CY's 345 in parentheses...

Average

BA .232

CY .235

Runs

BA 11 (30.36)

CY 48

RBI

BA 15 (41.4)

CY 45

Doubles

BA 9 (24.84)

CY 21

Triples

BA 0

CY 2

Home Runs

BA 4 (11)

CY 13

Total Bases

BA 50 (138)

CY 145

K

BA 31 (85.56)

CY 83

BB

BA 6 (16.56)

CY 33

SB

BA 2 (5.52)

CY 4

OBP

BA .267

CY .302

Slug

BA .400

CY .420

OPS

BA .667

CY .722

Young has better numbers, but not significantly. Anderson plays the better defense, and isn't being counted on to get on base out of the leadoff spot.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 6, 2008 -> 10:42 AM)
Why the hell does Chris Young lead off? Never figured that one out.

Because they have no one else in that lineup that fits the lead off spot either, but someone has to do it. If O-dog walks at the end of the year, Bonifacio could bat leadoff next season for them.