Konerko BAD - Fire GOOD

Jimbo's Drinker

Swish at first, Thome at DH, Anderson/Wise in CF, and Konerko gone or on the bench is the only way this team can make the playoffs IMO.

To be honest, I'd have bet Texas would have won it in the bottom of the 9th anyways had we tied it or took the lead, but it doesn't excuse Konerko's embarassing performance.

Soxtalk.com will be so cliche the second half of the season.

Paulie equals the devil now. Any good game by Paulie will be ignored. Any bad game ... wow let the venom continue.

I still like the guy.

I still think if KW and Oz decide he can play, then maybe he can contribute.

Oz said in the papers the leash is short on Paulie so we shall see.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I want to point out, a lot of you are calling for Swish at first. Yes Swish gets on base better and is better defensively (Swish is awesome at 1st defensively) but Swisher isn't exactly what I consider a great run producer.

Konerko had one ab today with runnesr on where he scolded the ball (and Byrd was in the right spot). He obviously didn't get the job done and had a very costly error but he wasn't the only guy to fail in key situations today, nor was he the only guy to play shtity defense. Clearly he had the worse game of everyone but there were plenty of opportunities for various team members to pick things up and no one was able to.

Bottom line, the team battled and battled and lost a game it shouldn't have but they will recover. Heck, this team has lost more games that they shouldn't have than any Sox team in recent history (because of there absolute piss poor abilities to execute and get guys in when you get a runner on 2nd and 0 outs or a runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 13, 2008 -> 09:52 PM)
One thing I want to point out, a lot of you are calling for Swish at first. Yes Swish gets on base better and is better defensively (Swish is awesome at 1st defensively) but Swisher isn't exactly what I consider a great run producer.

With Jim Thome looking like the hall of famer he is again the last few weeks or month, we can afford to have Swish's lack of power but great fielding and eye at the plate playing 1st, with Anderson/Wise in CF.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Does that matter?

Yes it does. Booing Paulie would be the lowest moment in Sox history after all he's done for the franchise.

I would hope our fans would not do that.

I'm saying judging from the hate on here he probably will be booed and that would be bulls***. Yes that would matter.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 10:40 AM)
The same things posted about Konerko were posted about Thome a few weeks ago. He's done, his bat speed is gone, etc. etc. You'll all be wrong again.

Paulie could certainly get red hot, but the season is more than halfway over and between his injuries and poor play, it will be very difficult for him to rebound in 2008. At least Thome had been in the lineup almost everyday and pretty healthy, thus having the everyday rhythm to make it favorable for him to recover from his bad times. He needs to get hot to cotribute at all though, because as much as he could turn it around at the plate, he can't in the field. His 1st base skills have eroded him for good, and if nothing else, his defense is going to cost us quite a few runs as opposed to even an average 1st basemen, let alone a good one like Swisher.

And the other thing I'll say is nobody should boo Konerko. That WOULD be as low a moment as we've had since 1919, just because he's horrible right now doesn't change what he's contributed to the franchise.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 03:07 PM)
Yes it does. Booing Paulie would be the lowest moment in Sox history after all he's done for the franchise.

I would hope our fans would not do that.

I'm saying judging from the hate on here he probably will be booed and that would be bulls***. Yes that would matter.

Wow, even lower than a certain event which occured in 1919?

I'll boo him just to be a part of history!

other than the WS grand slam what else has konerko done for the sox? I mean besides the inning ending double plays of course

OM gosh.

I won't look up how many dingers he's hit. How many great moments he's provided.

QUOTE (earthshiner @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 11:39 PM)
other than the WS grand slam what else has konerko done for the sox? I mean besides the inning ending double plays of course.

Wow. Great post. You're obviously a guy who pays a lot of attention and knows a lot about baseball. You really should be embarrassed posting what you did. You belong on the northside.

QUOTE (earthshiner @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 12:39 AM)
other than the WS grand slam what else has konerko done for the sox? I mean besides the inning ending double plays of course.

Jesus... this post almost isn't even worth a response.

QUOTE (earthshiner @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 11:39 PM)

your surrounding Cubs fans have apparently influenced your every thought. I mean, he's only been at 1B for 10 years, been apart of two division championships, one World Series championship, hit 285 homers, and only one below average season in his entire career (probably on his way to two, but we'll see how the second half goes).

Yeah, get f***ing real.

geez. sorry. I have just never understood the love for this guy. It just seems that half of his at bats are pop ups or double plays. To me he was always the lesser of the Frank/Mags/Lee/Konerko lineup. To this day I am amazed that he was the one that we won a world series with. I never got why he was named captain. I suppose he is a 3 (4?) time all-star so that has to mean something. Every year though he starts out so damn slow that I fear he is going back to being the Konerko of 03. He is the face of the Sox streaky offense of the last 5 years or so. Some of my comments have been a little exaggerated but I am just fed up with the guy. It just seems that every one else is blind to see how many rallies he has killed over the last 3 years. Drives me nuts.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 11:27 PM)
Wow, even lower than a certain event which occured in 1919?

I'll boo him just to be a part of history!

Even lower than disco demolition! Even lower than 1919! Even lower than wearing shorts and collars as part of your baseball uniform! Even lower than the White Flag trade!

Yes folks, booing Paul Konerko would be the lowest point in the history of the franchise!!!!!

LOL

geez. sorry. I have just never understood the love for this guy. It just seems that half of his at bats are pop ups or double plays

It's easy to understand your frustration with Paulie.

But you have to think before you say stupid stuff.

He's been great as a White Sox.

It's ridiculous to slam Paulie the way you did.

And obviously I exaggerated saying booing paulie would be worst moment in Sox history.

It would be a disgrace, however, and show everything that's wrong with modern fans and sports.

What have you done for me lately, Paulie?

It would be an utter disgrace and if the fans booed him should be ripped from coast to coast.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 02:27 AM)
It's easy to understand your frustration with Paulie.

And obviously I exaggerated saying booing paulie would be worst moment in Sox history.

It would be a disgrace, however, and show everything that's wrong with modern fans and sports.

What have you done for me lately, Paulie?

It would be an utter disgrace and if the fans booed him should be ripped from coast to coast.

No. It would just be another player getting booed for lack of performance. There is nothing else to it. Fans have been booing players since the game was invented, its just the way it is. There is no significance in Paul Konerko getting booed.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 02:27 AM)
But you have to think before you say stupid stuff.

you roll this one out after saying it would be the lowest point of the franchise if Paul Konerko got booed, and the fans should be ripped for booing him?

Edited by kyyle23

No. It would just be another player getting booed for lack of performance. There is nothing else to it. Fans have been booing players since the game was invented, its just the way it is. There is no significance in Paul Konerko getting booed.

Bulls***.

It would be very significant.

Booing Paul Konerko would show that the fan booing him is a no-knowledge jackass.

Booing him for lack of performance? Bulls***.

Any fan that boos him in Chicago is a buffoon.

As far as my statement, gee sorry. I should have said it would be ONE of the lowest moments in Sox history.

And it would.

I repeat: There is a lot of significance in Paul Konerko getting booed.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 04:52 PM)
Bulls***.

It would be very significant.

Booing Paul Konerko would show that the fan booing him is a no-knowledge jackass.

Booing him for lack of performance? Bulls***.

Any fan that boos him in Chicago is a buffoon.

As far as my statement, gee sorry. I should have said it would be ONE of the lowest moments in Sox history.

And it would.

I repeat: There is a lot of significance in Paul Konerko getting booed.

When players play like s***, they get booed. It's one of the most fundamental facts in American sports. Nobody is immune to it. Some players might get a pass for a while, but in the end there are no exceptions. If Michael Jordan spent half a season for the Bulls chucking up shots and making sloppy turnovers that caused the Bulls to lose, eventually he would've gotten booed.

Having said that, I'd never boo Paulie. But the boo birds are only going to circle the stadium for so long before they swoop in. The only one that can do anything about that is Paulie.

I stand by my statement. Any true White Sox fan that boos Paulie is a jackass.

He is somebody with no clue about PERSPECTIVE.

I'd love to hear some more takes on this.

I will never change my mind about this one.

Be a tough guy and boo Paulie; by doing so you have proven you know nothing about White Sox tradition.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 04:08 PM)
I stand by my statement. Any true White Sox fan that boos Paulie is a jackass.

He is somebody with no clue about PERSPECTIVE.

I'd love to hear some more takes on this.

I will never change my mind about this one.

Be a tough guy and boo Paulie; by doing so you have proven you know nothing about White Sox tradition.

I think you are little on the harsh side, but I agree with your basic premise.