Konerko BAD - Fire GOOD

Jimbo's Drinker

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 04:08 PM)
I stand by my statement. Any true White Sox fan that boos Paulie is a jackass.

He is somebody with no clue about PERSPECTIVE.

I'd love to hear some more takes on this.

I will never change my mind about this one.

Be a tough guy and boo Paulie; by doing so you have proven you know nothing about White Sox tradition.

Tell me about this no-booing tradition. I would love to learn about this PERSPECTIVE. At what point does any player, regardless of performance, become a player who is not allowed to be booed.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not personally condone booing Paulie, but if it happened it would be neither unprecedented nor shocking. Players get booed all the time and it doesn't usually happen for no reason, we just happen to have a longer grace period than somewhere like New York.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 05:40 PM)
I do not personally condone booing Paulie, but if it happened it would be neither unprecedented nor shocking. Players get booed all the time and it doesn't usually happen for no reason, we just happen to have a longer grace period than somewhere like New York.

Nowhere in anything I have posted did I say I was going to, or have booed Konerko. I just am trying to figure out how anyone is considered a jackass who has no PERSPECTIVE and doesnt understand tradition just because they boo Konerko for being unproductive.

Alex Rodriguez gets booed all the time and he puts up MVP numbers every season. Nobody is immune.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 07:47 PM)
Nowhere in anything I have posted did I say I was going to, or have booed Konerko. I just am trying to figure out how anyone is considered a jackass who has no PERSPECTIVE and doesnt understand tradition just because they boo Konerko for being unproductive.

Alex Rodriguez gets booed all the time and he puts up MVP numbers every season. Nobody is immune.

I'm on your side of this argument

I said does not understand White Sox tradition, meaning Paulie's place in White Sox lore.

Any by the way if anybody would have booed Jordan for playing s***ty as you say they also would be insane.

If you think it's OK to boo Paulie then we agree to disagree.

I stand by all my posts.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 06:02 PM)
I said does not understand White Sox tradition, meaning Paulie's place in White Sox lore.

Any by the way if anybody would have booed Jordan for playing s***ty as you say they also would be insane.

If you think it's OK to boo Paulie then we agree to disagree.

I stand by all my posts.

I agree. Who'd boo a player regarded as the BEST EVER in his sport and largely responsible for six championships?

What I don't understand is you seem to be applying this historical perspective to Konerko. That is, if he's struggling in the present we're supposed to let it slide because of what he did in the past. Does this make sense? If he's hitting .200 in the second half, regardless of his place in White Sox lore, he should be booed unmercifully. His current status means more to me then what he did three years ago. We'll have plenty of time for reflection during the offseason. As of now, if he doesn't improve, I'd personally boo him even if I were wearing a Konerko jersey.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 08:10 PM)
I agree. Who'd boo a player regarded as the BEST EVER in his sport and largely responsible for six championships?

In this non-existent hypothetical situation, if Jordan plays below average basketball for an extended period of time costing the team games, then he's not the best ever, is he? I'm not talking facts, I'm talking hypotheticals.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 06:13 PM)
In this non-existent hypothetical situation, if Jordan plays below average basketball for an extended period of time costing the team games, then he's not the best ever, is he? I'm not talking facts, I'm talking hypotheticals.

Nope. He still is.

Fail.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 07:15 PM)
Nope. He still is.

Fail.

If a player who sucks or plays like he sucks for months at a time in mid-career still qualifies as the best ever I don't really know what to say.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 07:18 PM)
If a player who sucks or plays like he sucks for months at a time in mid-career still qualifies as the best ever I don't really know what to say.

That's ok. Your attempt at providing the other side of the argument angle in hopes of sparing Greg a verbal asswhooping failed miserably.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 07:20 PM)
That's ok. Your attempt at providing the other side of the argument angle in hopes of sparing Greg a verbal asswhooping failed miserably.

Yeah I probably could've used any other name but Jordan. :lolhitting

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 08:26 PM)
Let's not fight anymore. You are an up and coming star in the chat universe, and I should be encouraging your rebellious attitude.

I am the chat equivalent of Alexei Ramirez?

There's no such thing as "yesterday" or "tomorrow" in pro sports any more. The only thing that matters is "today". "Today" Konerko is not producing and even costing us games with his glove. A change of scenery might do him good and bring the Sox a swift everyday outfielder with some pop in his bat. Then we'll be in a position to meet the Cubs in the WS, beat their ass, and silence their fans forever!.

Edited by ChiCard

If he's hitting .200 in the second half, regardless of his place in White Sox lore, he should be booed unmercifully.

That's simply stupid.

It just is.

If more than a couple White Sox fans agree with that, I would be stunned.

Why would you boo him unmercifully????

He's Paul Konerko, one of the heroes in White Sox lore.

Stupid.

You should boo Oz for playing him if he's hitting sub .200 in September, not Paulie.

Dumb.

Do any of you on the boo him side have kids? Do you teach them to cheer players at the World Series victory parade, then when times are tough boo said player a couple seasons later? This is Konerko we're talking about, not Juan Uribe.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 09:53 PM)
He's Paul Konerko, one of the heroes in White Sox lore.

Other than the grand slam, what else has made him a hero? I am drawing a blank. I can't think of many other great moments with him. Sure he has hit a bunch of homers and has been here a while but I don't see what makes him a White Sox legend. It just seems he puts up his numbers in such an unmemorable way. In 30 years will we remember him fondly or will we have to be reminded of him? He is still behind Thomas, Baines, Minnoso, Fox, Appling, Aparicio, Fisk, Peirce, Lyons, McDowell, and Ventura. I'd even put Buherle ahead of him. I'm not saying he has had a bad career it is just not amazing or unboo worthy.

QUOTE (ChiCard @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 08:55 PM)
There's no such thing as "yesterday" or "tomorrow" in pro sports any more. The only thing that matters is "today". "Today" Konerko is not producing and even costing us games with his glove.

You're fickle.

QUOTE (ChiCard @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 08:55 PM)
A change of scenery might do him good and bring the Sox a swift everyday outfielder with some pop in his bat. Then we'll be in a position to meet the Cubs in the WS, beat their ass, and silence their fans forever!.

No, that's not going to happen. We're not getting the next Sizemore or even Chris Young back for a first baseman hitting .220. We probably wouldn't even get Reed Johnson.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 12:00 AM)
Did you read the entire thread? I'm not going to repost all Paul's accomplishments that somebody else put on here.

Yes he should be immune from booing. My god.

just reread the entire thread and other than the '05 playoffs and some decent years from 00-02 not much else was there. I have said that I liked for a time in october of 05 and that he needed to go about 6 years ago. I stand by my comments and look forward to many more LOBs from Pauly the Rally Killer in the second half.

I stand by my comments and look forward to many more LOBs from Pauly the Rally Killer in the second half.

I'm glad you are looking forward to a White Sox failing. Good for you.

I'm not saying he'll break the slump. He very well may continue to suck.

But I would not boo him if I was at a game even if he whiffed four times, which he probably will do again.

He has earned a free pass from me on the boo front. Not you. Good for you.

No, I would never boo Konerko let alone any white sox. I do wish Pauly to do well however I'm just done with the guy. I just can't stand to watch another half a season of him popping up at least once a game and then act disappointed. I have accepted the fact that he will pop up. Why can't Pauly? If I am wrong about this guy I will admit it.

QUOTE (earthshiner @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 12:24 AM)
just reread the entire thread and other than the '05 playoffs and some decent years from 00-02 not much else was there. I have said that I liked for a time in october of 05 and that he needed to go about 6 years ago. I stand by my comments and look forward to many more LOBs from Pauly the Rally Killer in the second half.

From 1999 to 2007, Paul Konerko had exactly one season where he performed below expectations for an MLB 1st baseman. Every other year, he was well above average. If we let him go after 2002, we would've missed out on the two best years of his career (2005 and 2006), and probably a World Series trophy as well. That wouldn't have been too smart.

Your other response in this thread about hating his "pop-ups" (how do you feel about Crede, then?) leads me to believe you're not basing your opinion about Konerko solely on opinion, not fact.

Paulie stinks this year so far, but he deserves a chance to work through it, because of the numbers he is capable of putting up. As I've said before, if he struggles through July, you bench/platoon him.