Konerko BAD - Fire GOOD

Jimbo's Drinker

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 10:53 PM)
That's simply stupid.

It just is.

If more than a couple White Sox fans agree with that, I would be stunned.

Why would you boo him unmercifully????

He's Paul Konerko, one of the heroes in White Sox lore.

Stupid.

This entire paragraph is the calling card of the baseball retarded. You first generalize a comment I made as "simply stupid" and follow it up with " He's Paul Konerko, one of the heroes in White Sox lore," which is of course intelligent. Several moments of glory allow you a lifetime of absolve from criticism. Then, you throw the classic "no one else agrees with your comment" card. As if you could actually find out whether it's true. You may have thought it looked good on your computer screen, but it just weakens your entire post. Except in the mind of the baseball retarded, who look at that phrase and say "you know what, he's right! Only a couple of the millions of White Sox fans would agree!"

You should boo Oz for playing him if he's hitting sub .200 in September, not Paulie.

Dumb.

Do any of you on the boo him side have kids? Do you teach them to cheer players at the World Series victory parade, then when times are tough boo said player a couple seasons later? This is Konerko we're talking about, not Juan Uribe.

HAHA, yeah. Let's boo Guillen for failing to remove a struggling Konerko and completely ignore the player himself. I guess there's no such principle as personal accountability.

I don't have kids. If I did, I wouldn't feel the need to teach them about the intricacies of when to boo and when not to boo. Let them decide. It's not an important lesson of life. It's a sport their watching afterall, and if they feel justified in booing a player then it's their choice. Although I have to wonder why you're so willing to constrast Konerko with Uribe considering Uribe is part of White Sox LORE with his defense in Game 4 of the World Series. Shouldn't he be praised forever too?

Edited by Flash Tizzle

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (almagest @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 12:03 AM)
From 1999 to 2007, Paul Konerko had exactly one season where he performed below expectations for an MLB 1st baseman. Every other year, he was well above average. If we let him go after 2002, we would've missed out on the two best years of his career (2005 and 2006), and probably a World Series trophy as well. That wouldn't have been too smart.

Your other response in this thread about hating his "pop-ups" (how do you feel about Crede, then?) leads me to believe you're not basing your opinion about Konerko solely on opinion, not fact.

Paulie stinks this year so far, but he deserves a chance to work through it, because of the numbers he is capable of putting up. As I've said before, if he struggles through July, you bench/platoon him.

Crede is not a #4 hitter so I do not have the same expectations as I do Pauly. Plus crede's defense (not so much this year) has been stellar so he gets some slack. When you throw in Pauly's 20+ double plays a year it's brutal. from '06 to present he has grounded into 55 double plays. I can't find another #4 hitter with those totals let alone another white sox. in comparison, Thome only has 24, Dye 42, AJP 38, uribe 18, and swisher 37. For his entire career Crede only has 62. maybe it's Pauly's GDPs that drive me mad and not his pop ups.

Although I have to wonder why you're so willing to constrast Konerko with Uribe considering Uribe is part of White Sox LORE with his defense in Game 4 of the World Series. Shouldn't he be praised forever too?

No. We're talking about Konerko here. Uribe is not Konerko.

As far as my kids' comment ... me and my 10 year old are at the Cell. Paulie pops up, "Boo! Boo!" I yell.

"Daddy ... isn't that Paulie you are booing? The guy who made us so happy when we won the World Series? The guy who's hit all those career home runs for us?"

"Yep, son, he is a bum. He stinks in '08 so daddy is going to boo him."

QUOTE (earthshiner @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 12:29 AM)
Crede is not a #4 hitter so I do not have the same expectations as I do Pauly. Plus crede's defense (not so much this year) has been stellar so he gets some slack. When you throw in Pauly's 20+ double plays a year it's brutal. from '06 to present he has grounded into 55 double plays. I can't find another #4 hitter with those totals let alone another white sox. in comparison, Thome only has 24, Dye 42, AJP 38, uribe 18, and swisher 37. For his entire career Crede only has 62. maybe it's Pauly's GDPs that drive me mad and not his pop ups.

yeah, his 254 homers this decade really make me think he's just absolutely terrible

It's also hilarious that you are using GIDPs and popups to determine whether a player is good or not, and not cold, hard statistics. f***ing just brilliant. I mean, career .840 OPS, but OH NO, HE'S GROUNDED INTO SOME DOUBLE PLAYS.

FWIW, since 2005, Albert Pujols has grounded into 70 double plays; that includes an MVP season and only 4 GIDPs this season. But yeah, he f***ing sucks.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 01:53 AM)
No. We're talking about Konerko here. Uribe is not Konerko.

As far as my kids' comment ... me and my 10 year old are at the Cell. Paulie pops up, "Boo! Boo!" I yell.

"Daddy ... isn't that Paulie you are booing? The guy who made us so happy when we won the World Series? The guy who's hit all those career home runs for us?"

"Yep, son, he is a bum. He stinks in '08 so daddy is going to boo him."

No, we are talking about you making excuses for Konerko because of his place in White Sox lore, and absolving him from criticism because of it, and in the same sentence saying that Uribe has no place in White Sox lore because he sucks.

Uribe strikes out at a head high fastball "Boo! Boo!" I yell

"Daddy, isnt that Uribe you are booing? The guy who made us so happy when we won the world series when he dove into the stands to make an out, and when he made the final out of game 4 in the world series? The guy who carried a .400 average for 2 months in 2004? The guy who is on the World Series memorial outside the park?"

"Yes son, you see, he is hitting below .200 right now. Thats really unacceptable. The Major Leagues have standards that players are held to, and sometimes when they fail to live up to those standards, I will boo them. Im not saying you have to, but if you feel the need to, Im not going to tell you that you are wrong."

Edited by kyyle23

No, we are talking about you making excuses for Konerko because of his place in White Sox lore, and absolving him from criticism because of it, and in the same sentence saying that Uribe has no place in White Sox lore because he sucks.

Bulls***.

I made a post about booing Paulie would be the worst moment in Sox history. I since amended it to "one of the worst moments" in Sox history.

I have since been responding to people who think it's OK to boo Paulie.

For the record, I wouldn't boo any Sox player as I don't boo, but that's not the point.

I am not making excuses for Konerko. He has stunk this season. Yes he has stunk.

The issue has been booing.

He does not deserve to be booed.

Any Sox fan that would boo him is a jackass.

Case closed.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 04:24 PM)
Bulls***.

I made a post about booing Paulie would be the worst moment in Sox history. I since amended it to "one of the worst moments" in Sox history.

I have since been responding to people who think it's OK to boo Paulie.

For the record, I wouldn't boo any Sox player as I don't boo, but that's not the point.

I am not making excuses for Konerko. He has stunk this season. Yes he has stunk.

The issue has been booing.

He does not deserve to be booed.

Any Sox fan that would boo him is a jackass.

Case closed.

You've made your point many times now.

Its clear how you feel about it, and others disagree with the extent to which you take this.

I wouldn't boo Paulie either, and I would probably chuckle at any fan who did.

But its their prerogative.

Just let it go, lest you get yourself in trouble.

I have never understood booing your teams' players unless they are showing a lack of effort. How do you possibly justify booing Konerko when he's been playing injured almost the entire season? If I had any clue how to imbed youtube.com videos I would imped Konerko's grand slam during the WS listening to the guy shooting it going crazy. Konerko haters would be owned. Considering he followed up that season with a.313 35 homer 113 rbi campaign, and last year hit .259 with 31 and 90, booing him would show a lack of intelligence and while I don't know if it would be the low point for White Sox "fans", it certainly would be down there quite a bit.

Edited by Dick Allen

Just let it go, lest you get yourself in trouble.

I've responded every time they've responded to me.

If I had the ability to lock the thread I would.

If you want to ban me for reponding each time they've responded to me, go ahead.

QUOTE (ChiCard @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 10:55 PM)
There's no such thing as "yesterday" or "tomorrow" in pro sports any more. The only thing that matters is "today". "Today" Konerko is not producing and even costing us games with his glove. A change of scenery might do him good and bring the Sox a swift everyday outfielder with some pop in his bat. Then we'll be in a position to meet the Cubs in the WS, beat their ass, and silence their fans forever!.

Welcome to Soxtalk!

:cheers

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 05:12 PM)
I have never understood booing your teams' players unless they are showing a lack of effort. How do you possibly justify booing Konerko when he's been playing injured almost the entire season? If I had any clue how to imbed youtube.com videos I would imped Konerko's grand slam during the WS listening to the guy shooting it going crazy. Konerko haters would be owned. Considering he followed up that season with a.313 35 homer 113 rbi campaign, and last year hit .259 with 31 and 90, booing him would show a lack of intelligence and while I don't know if it would be the low point for White Sox "fans", it certainly would be down there quite a bit.

Watching the WS grand slam "owns" no one, since it happened 3 years ago. Past seasons don't have any effect on this season, other than to show that Konerko is capable of pulling out of his slump. It's not bad to expect Konerko to perform, and to be upset that he's not. It's bad to demand crazy trades for him, or to release him, because he's struggled for 2/5 of a season. It's also silly to dislike him because he pops up or GIDP or hangs his head when he makes an out.

QUOTE (almagest @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 10:19 PM)
Watching the WS grand slam "owns" no one, since it happened 3 years ago. Past seasons don't have any effect on this season, other than to show that Konerko is capable of pulling out of his slump. It's not bad to expect Konerko to perform, and to be upset that he's not. It's bad to demand crazy trades for him, or to release him, because he's struggled for 2/5 of a season. It's also silly to dislike him because he pops up or GIDP or hangs his head when he makes an out.

If past seasons don't mean squat, where's the dump Vazquez and bench Swisher threads?BTW, if you don't think that video would own all the haters, you should go check it out on youtube. Konerko World Series grand slam. There's one that says original audio. Just watch it once and wonder how someone less than 3 years later thinks booing him is OK and claims to be a White Sox fan.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 18, 2008 -> 07:09 AM)
If past seasons don't mean squat, where's the dump Vazquez and bench Swisher threads?BTW, if you don't think that video would own all the haters, you should go check it out on youtube. Konerko World Series grand slam. There's one that says original audio. Just watch it once and wonder how someone less than 3 years later thinks booing him is OK and claims to be a White Sox fan.

Are you kidding me? When Swisher was batting .200 there was bench swisher threads, and Vazquez has been a hot topic since he has been on the White Sox because of his inconsistent nature.

You guys reserve your right NOT to boo, thats fine. Im not less of a fan because I would choose to boo a player for poor performance.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 18, 2008 -> 08:31 AM)
Are you kidding me? When Swisher was batting .200 there was bench swisher threads, and Vazquez has been a hot topic since he has been on the White Sox because of his inconsistent nature.

You guys reserve your right NOT to boo, thats fine. Im not less of a fan because I would choose to boo a player for poor performance.

If booing a guy busting his ass playing hurt makes you feel better about yourself go ahead. It just will make you look silly to the rest of the crowd.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 18, 2008 -> 08:31 AM)

Where are they? Contreras needs to be replaced. We see that just about every game. Vazquez has had a mirror image season, but the threads aren't there. Konerko, they guy that help bring a trophy to the southside, plays hurt, so he needs to be replaced and booed, and the guy who KW needs to replace him with immediately, has had exactly 1 good month in a White Sox uniform.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 18, 2008 -> 08:39 AM)
Where are they? Contreras needs to be replaced. We see that just about every game. Vazquez has had a mirror image season, but the threads aren't there. Konerko, they guy that help bring a trophy to the southside, plays hurt, so he needs to be replaced and booed, and the guy who KW needs to replace him with immediately, has had exactly 1 good month in a White Sox uniform.

Im not digging up threads to oust Vazquez from 2006 because he couldnt make it past the 5th inning, but here are two threads about Swisher struggling and taking him out of the lineup

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...t=0&start=0

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 18, 2008 -> 07:41 AM)
Im not digging up threads to oust Vazquez from 2006 because he couldnt make it past the 5th inning, but here are two threads about Swisher struggling and taking him out of the lineup

Did you read most of the posts? And you can't find anything on Vazquez and he's been just as bad as Contreras. Except for June, Swisher is having his finest month in a White Sox uniform batting average-wise in July. He's hitting .214 for the month. He's the guy everyone wants to replace Konerko. Most people on here are like little kids the day after Christmas.

Vazquez and Contreras's situations are not comparable... please, just stop that. And if I'm challenged on that, I'm not going to bother explaining why because I shouldn't have to. I might as well be explaining why Carlos Quentin is not Jermaine Dye if I have to explain obvious things that people pretend not to know.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 18, 2008 -> 08:48 AM)
Did you read most of the posts? And you can't find anything on Vazquez and he's been just as bad as Contreras. Except for June, Swisher is having his finest month in a White Sox uniform batting average-wise in July. He's hitting .214 for the month. He's the guy everyone wants to replace Konerko. Most people on here are like little kids the day after Christmas.

Thats because when he did take over for Konerko, the team was much better, defensively and offensively.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 18, 2008 -> 08:54 AM)
Vazquez and Contreras's situations are not comparable... please, just stop that. And if I'm challenged on that, I'm not going to bother explaining why because I shouldn't have to. I might as well be explaining why Carlos Quentin is not Jermaine Dye if I have to explain obvious things that people pretend not to know.

They both started out pretty well but have been getting hammered for the better part of 2 months. You can't explain so you say its different. Why are they not comparable? The Sox only have to pay Contreras through next year. They have a bit longer with Vazquez. Javy Vazquez gets a break on this board because he gets a lot of strikeouts.