Konerko BAD - Fire GOOD

Jimbo's Drinker

QUOTE (earthshiner @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 12:01 AM)
if he comes back and the sox start losing then you have to bench and go back to what was working. Pauly has a history of sucking and I see no reason why he should just waltz back into the starting spot.

He's had one really sucky season (03) and one very mediocre season (07). Now, you tell me how those 2 years mean more then the other 8(?) he has spent with the White Sox.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (earthshiner @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 12:01 AM)
if he comes back and the sox start losing then you have to bench and go back to what was working. Pauly has a history of sucking and I see no reason why he should just waltz back into the starting spot.

Please fill me in on this history

I hate to say it--it is Paul-ee after all--but I'm fine with him gone. I think Swish is FAR superior at first base, and Anderson, bad average or not, is making some pretty unbelievable catches in CF--just last night in fact.

Problem is, as I discussed at length with my baseball nut co-worker, we're in a bind. There's nothing to do here.

-Nobody wants that contract with his batting average and now his injury, and his age

-He has right of refusal and if somebody like Baltimore would take a chance on him, there's no way he'd go to Baltimore

-You can't bench him with that salary

-You can't make him the DH; where does that put Thome (a whole other problem)?

-Putting him back in puts Swish back in center and either Anderson or Nice will have to go

I don't think it's any coincidence that this team is looking really "2005" right now with him out. I love Paulie for 2005, but he never struck me as a "quiet leader"--more like a drain on the team when he's not hitting well.

I certainly don't wish any harm to Paulie or want him to be seriously hurt but yes, I think he does more harm than good coming back at this point. We get enough homers without him.

QUOTE (earthshiner @ Jul 10, 2008 -> 09:33 PM)
anybody want to rethink this one?

Maybe Kenny if he had a chance to deal him in the off-season for a decent return. He couldn't get s*** for him now......

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 04:08 AM)
no offense taken, im just angry and know our downfall will be his fault. The lineup was just fine.

If this team doesn't make the postseason, it will be due to our starting pitching staff hitting the wall.