Konerko BAD - Fire GOOD

Jimbo's Drinker

I was so pissed at Paulie yesterday cursing him out after that play and subsequently when the game was over. But really, you have to move Swish there and Anderson to CF even tho Paulie was going to come up the next inning. Case and point, Swish catches the ball and we probably win. I love Paulie as much as anyone for all that he has done, but he is making our offense much worse right now. I don't think there is any sign that he is ready to break out of his slump. Sure AAA was nice, but Wednesday was as bad as I've ever seen him.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the thing that I think is getting people. Last night alone he had the opportunites to do something and he did not and the dropped ball in 8th was the topper.

I am really unclear as to what the hurry was to bring him back. Is the hand magically healed? The team was succeeding and he still looks off. Nice first game against the MiLB pitcher not so against the MLB variety.

As they talked about with Cowley on the SCORE this morning his slumps are tracked in months not days.

The difference with Thome and Konerko is Thome has some athletic ability and ca ngo first to third and score from 1st or 2nd. Konerko can not.

He can get hot.........or he could not. 2003 was another year where he wilted for the season and an injury was the reason.

The problem last night........NO DEFENSIVE CHANGES.

Anderson gets to both balls (or at least makes them close) in center and Swisher catches the ball at first.

Dick Allen I dont understand why you feel the need to defend every single member of the Whitesox.I cant remember you being critical of anyone ever.Since you defend everyone your defense arguments arent as legit.And Iam not attacking you I just had to point this out because it is a constant and I believe you really know baseball.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 01:38 AM)
If we actually win the series, for me it's much easier to take a loss even when there are obvious goats.

I'm sick of the "at least we won the series" mentality. We should have swept this lousy team plain and simple. If we would have went for the jugular in 2005 and tried sweeping teams instead of tinkering with Sunday lineups all the time we wouldn't have had that near collapse in September. Try to win every damn game. We might not be as lucky this year.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 08:01 AM)
Dick Allen I dont understand why you feel the need to defend every single member of the Whitesox.I cant remember you being critical of anyone ever.Since you defend everyone your defense arguments arent as legit.And Iam not attacking you I just had to point this out because it is a constant and I believe you really know baseball.

There will be several people on this board who would say the exact opposite. I just don't understand a PK must go thread after a bad game. What if had hit 2 homers last night and had 4 hits? The thread wouldn't have been created. I think instant gratification has taken over the majority of this board and the majority of Sox fans. At the game on Sunday, a couple of guys sitting next to us would yell and scream if anyone made an out how they had to be released or sent down or DFA'd. Konerko is coming back after being out a while. Its going to take a while. Granted he was horrible yesterday and the dropped ball shouldn't have happened and perhaps cost the Sox the game, but history shows he will be a big contributor. I've never thought Swisher in CF was a good idea and it shows most of the time he's out there, but why is he and his .235 average such an upgrade over Konerko? I am fully confident Konerko will hit, and people will quiet down.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 08:11 AM)
There will be several people on this board who would say the exact opposite. I just don't understand a PK must go thread after a bad game. What if had hit 2 homers last night and had 4 hits? The thread wouldn't have been created. I think instant gratification has taken over the majority of this board and the majority of Sox fans. At the game on Sunday, a couple of guys sitting next to us would yell and scream if anyone made an out how they had to be released or sent down or DFA'd. Konerko is coming back after being out a while. Its going to take a while. Granted he was horrible yesterday and the dropped ball shouldn't have happened and perhaps cost the Sox the game, but history shows he will be a big contributor. I've never thought Swisher in CF was a good idea and it shows most of the time he's out there, but why is he and his .235 average such an upgrade over Konerko? I am fully confident Konerko will hit, and people will quiet down.

Swisher can play 5 positions (LF, CF, RF, 1b and DH) with first base being of gold glove quality. He has athleticism and can steal a base if needed, can be used on a hit-and-run and has shown solid pop. He takes pitches and has more patience than Konerko and is a much more threat at the plate right now both power and average. Konerko is getting old and he is plays much older than listed because he is very limited athletically. He might get out of his slump, but the days of Paul Konerko as a 3-4-5 hitter are gone. He has a slow bat, doesn't go oppoiste way and has limited power right now. The fact is, Konerko didn't hit two HRs and have 4 hits last night. If he did, people may thought he was starting to get out of the slump, but he hasn't hit a real solid ball since he came back up. He is just done, I am fully confident Konerko will never be more than a .250-20-75 hitter for the rest of his career if fully healthy. Right now, he is a 0 tool player. Can't hit for average, little power, no speed, not a great arm and not a great fielder. Sure he can make the plays hit to him, but he has zero range.

The defensive switch is also a tough one to call last night as well. Lets say KC scored 2 runs anyways after the defensive switch(assuming BA in center and Swish at 1st). Then you go into the ninth down 1 and you have Thome-BA-Swisher up against Soria instead of Thome-Konerko-Swisher.

Its a moot point anyways, but I can see the justification of keeping Konerko in the game at 1st. To me a good alternative move that could have been made last night would slide Swisher to left and BA in Center.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 09:18 AM)
The defensive switch is also a tough one to call last night as well. Lets say KC scored 2 runs anyways after the defensive switch(assuming BA in center and Swish at 1st). Then you go into the ninth down 1 and you have Thome-BA-Swisher up against Soria instead of Thome-Konerko-Swisher.

Its a moot point anyways, but I can see the justification of keeping Konerko in the game at 1st. To me a good alternative move that could have been made last night would slide Swisher to left and BA in Center.

I have more confidence sadly at the plate with Anderson than Konerko right now.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 09:19 AM)
I have more confidence sadly at the plate with Anderson than Konerko right now.

I'm not advocating dumping Konerko, or this thread even, but I would have to say that for most of the season Anderson's offensive production has been the same or better than Paulie's, even after Anderson's average dropped. Which is kind of messed up.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 07:11 AM)

100% agree. I am not a huge Konerko fan but all this he is washed up and can we release him talk is just ridiculous. The guy did just get off the DL and is getting re-adjusted to playing again. Some guys take a long time to get in a groove once they have been off for more than 2 days, Dye is the same way. When Dye misses 4 or 5 games it takes him 2 weeks to get back on track. This team has a much better chance of winning something with Paulie being productive than without him in the lineup. He is coming back from an injury and needs a little more time. If he is still not hitting at the end of July, then you need to talk about cutting his playing time a little.

Edited by hawksfan61

PK's defense has really taken a dive this year, and he has yet to find a groove at the plate. He's probably gone after this season, if they can work a trade with someone PK is willing to play for. But for now, you have to look at his career, and see a guy who has a very good chance of getting hot as the season goes on. He'll get better with the bat. Not sure on the glove, though.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 09:29 AM)
First order of business, move AJP out of the 2-hole

Yeah, 'cause its been terrible having a guy hitting there with a .288 average, rarely striking out and being able to hit to all fields. Awful. Must be the problem.

Before everyone goes into a panic over one damn game, look at the numbers. This offense, since mid-May, has been quite good. We just took 2 of 3 on the road from a KC team that is NOT as bad as previous years' teams. There is no need to be making big changes at this point.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 01:00 AM)
also goes the same way with blind hatred.

I can't understand how some people react this way with every loss. Doesn't it give you ulcers or something? Christ, we could win 39 in a row, lose 1 and people would be calling for half the team to be traded and declare the season over. Ridiculous.

Thank you. Read my mind.

Everybody has a right to 'cheer' their own way for a team, but damn...

The problem is its not just one bad game.After a while you really question if he can come out of this because this team cant win a championship with this Paulie.You have to ask yourself what are the consequences if he doesnt come out of this.If you completely dismiss rectifying the situation now you might regret it later.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 09:18 AM)

Here was my take.

In a 1-0 game, pitching and defense is needed as you are playing 6 outs to 3. Also if they score 1 or 2 in the bottom of 8th Soria is coming in and the chances of hitting him are not that good so you are hoping 1-1 going to the 10th.

Konerko did nothing in the last two games to warrant a blind faith in him to hit in the 9th. You know you have a better defensive team with Swisher and Anderson out there so go with it. Also Anderson and Wise have had as big of hits as Konerko recently sos what is wrong with putting their bats in the game.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 04:09 AM)
If this team doesn't make the postseason, it will be due to our starting pitching staff hitting the wall.

^^^^^^^^^

Thank you....

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 04:02 PM)
The problem is its not just one bad game.After a while you really question if he can come out of this because this team cant win a championship with this Paulie.You have to ask yourself what are the consequences if he doesnt come out of this.If you completely dismiss rectifying the situation now you might regret it later.

we couldn't win it with "That Jim Thome" about a month and a half ago...but look what happened....

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 09:09 AM)
we couldn't win it with "That Jim Thome" about a month and a half ago...but look what happened....

Yes he came around to start hitting.All Iam saying is ,it is possible that PK does not come out of this and that dont just assume because he is the mighty PK he is going to be a world beater the second half of this season.I hope he does come out of this.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 10, 2008 -> 10:09 PM)
If this team doesn't make the postseason, it will be due to our starting pitching staff hitting the wall.

Like it did yesterday? I know it's popular to blame Konerko, but for all of those saying that it wasn't just his fault, it was. Paulie's not only sucking with the bat, but also with the glove. I imagine his VORP is 20 points below 0. That's how bad he's been.

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 10:09 AM)
^^^^^^^^^

Thank you....

Thome was still hitting homers, plus, Jim doesn't play in the field. Konerko isn't hitting anything! And now, he's not fielding.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 09:21 AM)
Like it did yesterday? I know it's popular to blame Konerko, but for all of those saying that it wasn't just his fault, it was. Paulie's not only sucking with the bat, but also with the glove. I imagine his VORP is 20 points below 0. That's how bad he's been.

Did Konerko throw the cookie to Guillen and Teahen? Did Konerko fail to throw the ball in resulting in a inside the park homerun?

Im not denying that the floodgates opened after his error/non-error, but there is such thing as damage control, and the bullpen did not provide it.

These are Konerko 2nd half splits thru his career FWIW;

.284 .355 .500 .855

He's the team captain, and arugbly the face of the franchise. I just can't see a move happening here for the foreseeable future with him.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 04:21 PM)
Thome was still hitting homers, plus, Jim doesn't play in the field. Konerko isn't hitting anything! And now, he's not fielding.

Few days back from the DL and the overeaction begins.....

Joe Crede cannot field eithier, time to dump him

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 10:24 AM)
Few days back from the DL and the overeaction begins.....

Joe Crede cannot field eithier, time to dump him

At least Joe is hitting better than .215...

It's not like Konerko was doing anything awesome before his DL stint.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 10:22 AM)
Did Konerko throw the cookie to Guillen and Teahen? Did Konerko fail to throw the ball in resulting in a inside the park homerun?

Im not denying that the floodgates opened after his error/non-error, but there is such thing as damage control, and the bullpen did not provide it.

You know this team's tendencies and Mark Buehrle's tendencies. They can't pitch over defensive mistakes. Knowing that, Konerko has to make that play. It wasn't like the throw was terribly bad, he just dropped it.