Stone in, DJ out?

fathom

I would definitely love to see DJ stay in TV with the Sox. To be honest with all of you, I can't stand Hawk and his b****ing of the umpires as well as his old stories. DJ is young, groomed and brings "fresh blood" to the table. To be honest with you, I think the Sox would benefit with a team involving Jack McDowell and Darrin Jackson on Comcast Sports Net in some capacity (not play-by-play) because it's a younger "team." Jackson just wouldn't be used to his full potential on the radio and I think that he and Farmer would clash quite a bit. I've got a feeling that Jackson will stay here under his current job or a pre or postgame show, as I do not believe he wants to work for another team.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 08:35 AM)
Singelton didnt have the talent to carry Farmer, which is why he is gone.

More likely that he's gone because ESPN offered him more money and that he wasn't that good in the booth to begin with. IIRC, Singleton was the one who asked to be released from his contract, not the other way around.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 10:34 AM)
More likely that he's gone because ESPN offered him more money and that he wasn't that good in the booth to begin with.

Exactly, he was terrible, that was my point. Farmer needs someone else who can smooth him out and keep him on task, otherwise he will continue to ignore the pbp and talk about his old playing days, and random high school stories.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 09:36 AM)
Exactly, he was terrible, that was my point. Farmer needs someone else who can smooth him out and keep him on task, otherwise he will continue to ignore the pbp and talk about his old playing days, and random high school stories.

My edited message mentions that Singleton ASKED to be let out of his contract. He wasn't fired or asked to leave because of a lack of talent on his part (although they could've justifiably done so).

Farmer's always been a story-telling guy. Some people like that and some people don't. Given that baseball games typically move at a snail's pace, I don't find it particularly distracting. Singleton didn't add anything of substance to the broadcast, which is why he sucked. Stoney is a walking baseball encyclopedia who would even enhance the commentary of HOF broadcasters.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 10:44 AM)
My edited message mentions that Singleton ASKED to be let out of his contract. He wasn't fired or asked to leave.

Farmer's always been a story-telling guy. Some people like that and some people don't. Given that baseball games typically move at a snail's pace, I don't find it particularly distracting. Singleton didn't add anything of substance to the broadcast, which is why he sucked. Stoney is a walking baseball encyclopedia who would even enhance the commentary of HOF broadcasters.

Yeah, thats the official word, but lets not kid ourselves, he had no future on our radio station.

Thats why I like Stone, he is knowledgeable and holds the players accountable. I've said it a million times, if Rooney stayed and was on the air with Stone, our heads would explode from greatness.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 09:45 AM)
I've said it a million times, if Rooney stayed and was on the air with Stone, our heads would explode from greatness.

:cheers

Thats why I like Stone, he is knowledgeable and holds the players accountable.

And that's why he no longer works for the Cubs. :D

Living in Missouri and having to listen to other broadcasters makes me appreciate the combos we have in Chicago allthemore. My friends love when sox games are on WGN, they think Hawk and Dj are hilarious. Together they are just an odd, odd pairing that has turned into this unique chemistry. I feel that many of the baseball announcers are a dime a dozen, same voice, same token former player, same boring analysis. Being away you even miss the homerism because it's hysterical. "Joe Crede's probably the best 3rd baseman I've ever seen" "Yaz, back when Yaz",

in summary, you guys don't realize what you have.

those of you who say Stone will be back broadcasting with the cubs eventually, where do you get that idea? everytime I've heard stone discuss the cubs front office, he had absolutely nothing but bad things to say about it, he never once made it seem as if he were interested in working for them again

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 10:08 AM)
in summary, you guys don't realize what you have.

Anybody whose had the misfortune of watching a Mariners telecast realizes that Hawk and DJ aren't exactly the bottom of the barrel.

I'm not sure if there is enough room in a booth for both egos of Hawk and Stone. It should be interesting to see how long it lasts,if it happens.

Singleton does a very good job in the studio. It's where he belongs with prepared material at his own pace. He was always a little off beat and slow when reacting to plays on the field.

I enjoy Farmer's stories as well as the banter between him and Stone. I will miss the pair. It is much better than what Hawk and stone will be.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 03:04 PM)
I'm not sure if there is enough room in a booth for both egos of Hawk and Stone. It should be interesting to see how long it lasts,if it happens.

Singleton does a very good job in the studio. It's where he belongs with prepared material at his own pace. He was always a little off beat and slow when reacting to plays on the field.

I enjoy Farmer's stories as well as the banter between him and Stone. I will miss the pair. It is much better than what Hawk and stone will be.

Hawk was nothing but respectful of Steve Stone when they were paired together last year. He didnt disagree with him, they shared many stories(even stuff Hawk hadnt talked much about before), and he genuinely appreciated what Stone had to offer.

Im not advocating that DJ should be let go or reassigned because I do like him, but I dont think that Hawk and Stone would present an ego war problem

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 03:14 PM)
Hawk was nothing but respectful of Steve Stone when they were paired together last year. He didnt disagree with him, they shared many stories(even stuff Hawk hadnt talked much about before), and he genuinely appreciated what Stone had to offer.

Im not advocating that DJ should be let go or reassigned because I do like him, but I dont think that Hawk and Stone would present an ego war problem

That was because it was temporary and on the air.

Maybe Hawk has mellowed with age but the behind the scenes issues with Paciorek has always lead me to believe he could not have another strong personality in the booth with him for an extended period of time. And they were a very good pair together.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 02:37 PM)

Maybe Hawk has mellowed with age but the behind the scenes issues with Paciorek has always lead me to believe he could not have another strong personality in the booth with him for an extended period of time. And they were a very good pair together.

I haven't heard of Farmer (also an egomaniac) and Stone having problems, and they've been together for half a season.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 02:14 PM)
those of you who say Stone will be back broadcasting with the cubs eventually, where do you get that idea? everytime I've heard stone discuss the cubs front office, he had absolutely nothing but bad things to say about it, he never once made it seem as if he were interested in working for them again

But the front office is changing, the ownership is changing.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 03:37 PM)

Stone worked with the biggest ego maybe ever for how many years with the Cubs? I think reports of Hawk's ego are very overblown. Hawk always talks about Don Drysdale who had a gigantic ego and drove people nuts with his expense account. Stone and Hawk would be fine. I just hope if it happens DJ stays around.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 10:27 AM)
Disagree. I'm a huge Farmer fan. No way is he weaker than Singleton, nor Hawk, for that matter. I'll be supremely pissed if they ever get rid of him.

I respect your opinion but I'd LOVE to get rid of Farmer. Can't stand him.

I think I've bought into the Sox "Family" idea. DJ has done nothing but improve and does not deserve to go. Ideally, DJ would move to radio until Hawk retires. DJ would do the play by play on the radio with Farmer going back to color. If DJ was booted, it would leave a bad taste in my mouth like the Rooney move did. Promise DJ a long term deal for TV when Hawk retires.