Official 2008-2009 NHL Thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um... how do I say this...

I have actually had a small business deal with Mr. Stanley Cup. I can't/won't go into too many details, but suffice it to say two things:

He will get TOP, and I mean TOP dollar if he accepts a position like this.

And.

The man is a CONTROL FREAK. He's one of the best hockey minds there is, but he controls EVERYTHING - and I'm not sure what that means for the organ-I-zation, if you know what I mean.

Now - even with this said, if the pieces are right, and it's true, he could be a huge asset if it's done correctly.

I wonder if this means some of the world's best coaches (and this is how I have dealt with him) will be put on a retainer for the 'Hawks. If so, you will see some real progress with their skill guys, and it will produce some really good excitement.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 08:45 PM)
Scotty Bowman says he's not going to Chicago

“I don't know anything about that,” Scotty Bowman said this evening. “As long as I'm healthy and there's no change in ownership in Detroit, there'll be no change. I'm perfectly satisfied.”

Isn't that what Pat Foley said, too?

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 08:45 PM)
Scotty Bowman says he's not going to Chicago

“I don't know anything about that,” Scotty Bowman said this evening. “As long as I'm healthy and there's no change in ownership in Detroit, there'll be no change. I'm perfectly satisfied.”

Not at all surprising. We don't need that troll anyway.

This was from a chat transcript today;

1:11 [Comment From bleedcubbieblue]

What about the blackhawks, lots of good organization changes, time to do some ice moves now... Hear anything?

1:11 DavidPagnotta - Hurricanes will look at John-Michael Liles as a target, could bring back Mike Commodore, or try to acquire Joni Pitkanen again.

1:11 DavidPagnotta - Hawks will be very busy this summer.

1:11 Spector - Going to try to sign Campbell

1:11 Wyshynski - Yes, Scotty Bowman is going to center Patrick Kane. (e4)

1:11 DavidPagnotta - Hossa is a prime target for them...

1:11 Spector - Could look at Hainsey or Liles

1:12 DavidPagnotta - Campbell is someone the Hawks will go after, and it's a place Campbell is interested in... but Hossa's interested in playing in Chicago!

1:12 DavidPagnotta - Yup. My next column will be on Hossa's interest in playing for the Hawks. I have it on good authority that Chicago's a team he'd like to join.

1:15 [Comment From Eric]

I've heard from a good source that Hossa is likely staying in the Burgh despite his request to wait till July. What makes you so certain he is gone?

1:15 Spector - $8 million reasons

1:16 Wyshynski - A couple of quick ones:

1:16 DavidPagnotta - It's not 100% in stone that he's leaving... but Pens won't pay more than $7.5M for him.

1:39 DavidPagnotta - Hawks will go after Hossa, Malone, Campbell, Streit, Rozsival... and get one, or two.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 01:32 AM)
Everyone keeps talking about UFA's the Hawks need to go after, but Tallon really should be focusing on trying to make a deal with another team. According to HFBoards, Newsday came out today saying Bouwmeester wants out of Florida with OJ gone, and the future looking like s***. With the collection of prospects the Hawks have assembled, try moving a few of them for a difference maker.

I feel like DT is sitting on a stockpile of fringe players right now, and has no plan for them.

Bouwmeester's a guy who I would HEAVILY target.

He's a #1 d-man even though his best is in front of him. But Florida would ask for the farm for him. I'd imagine at least 2 stud prospects and a 2009 first rounder as a minimum. Something like Beach + Skille for example.

Unless he's a RFA, and you signed him to an offer sheet, then you'd have to give up 3 future 1st rounders or something.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 07:36 AM)
Bouwmeester's a guy who I would HEAVILY target.

He's a #1 d-man even though his best is in front of him. But Florida would ask for the farm for him. I'd imagine at least 2 stud prospects and a 2009 first rounder as a minimum. Something like Beach + Skille for example.

Unless he's a RFA, and you signed him to an offer sheet, then you'd have to give up 3 future 1st rounders or something.

Bouwmeester might be worth it. This guy is a #1 defenseman in this league, if he's brought in the right system.

I really wouldn't mind Bouwmeester. If all it took was Blunden, Barker, and Lang, I'd do it in an instant. I might even take Lang out and put Skille or Hendry in there.

It would be tough, mentally, to give up Barker and Skille already, but Bouwmeester, like you guys said, is still quite young and his best is ahead of him.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 12:56 PM)
I really wouldn't mind Bouwmeester. If all it took was Blunden, Barker, and Lang, I'd do it in an instant. I might even take Lang out and put Skille or Hendry in there.

It would be tough, mentally, to give up Barker and Skille already, but Bouwmeester, like you guys said, is still quite young and his best is ahead of him.

It would take more than that to get Bouwmeester.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 02:14 PM)
It would take more than that to get Bouwmeester.

If we offered them Barker, Skille, and Lang, I'm not so sure how a team in re-build mode could decline 2 former top 7 picks and a 60 point veteran. Although, I would throw Blunden or Kontiola in there if needed.

Bouwmeester wants out.

As if the Panthers didn't have enough to holes to fill after trading away center Olli Jokinen, it's believed defenseman Jay Bouwmeester wants out of Florida.

While the 24-year-old has not requested a trade, he's apparently unhappy in South Florida and would welcome a move to another team.

Bouwmeester is a restricted free agent and Panthers GM Jacques Martin recently had nothing new to report in terms of the two sides agreeing to a new contract.

The Edmonton native made $2.25 million last season and is due for a raise.

It's uncertain if the Panthers will consider trading Bouwmeester, or if any teams have pitch any offers for him. The New York Rangers, Ottawa Senators, Edmonton Oilers and New Jersey Devils are believed to be interested.

In 82 games with the Panthers last season, Bouwmeester registered 15 goals and 22 assists for 37 points.

Offer them next year's 1st, Skille, Barker, and Blunden.

Go get him, DT!! :headbang

Yeah I'd rather Bouwmeester to Campbell to be honest.

And that's becaue he's younger, and is probably a better "defensive" defenseman than Campbell.

Plus you trade say Barker, Skille and Lang plus a pick for him (just for an example), you've got room to go get Marion Hossa, and maybe a Rosival or Liles as well to sure up both the O and D.

If there was a way to get Bouwmeester without giving up Barker though (using picks and prospects), DT should look into that.

Bertuzzi waived, I know there are a lot of injury issues, but he did play 68 games last season on a team that couldn't score.

I for one wouldn't hate seeing him in front of the goalie on the PP, or clogging it up for Kane and Toews.

4 mil, 1 year left. I know he has had some problems but he could provide a ton of offense.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=241810&amp...os=topStory_nhl

Edited by EvilJester99

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jun 27, 2008 -> 01:48 PM)
Yeah I'd rather Bouwmeester to Campbell to be honest.

And that's becaue he's younger, and is probably a better "defensive" defenseman than Campbell.

Plus you trade say Barker, Skille and Lang plus a pick for him (just for an example), you've got room to go get Marion Hossa, and maybe a Rosival or Liles as well to sure up both the O and D.

If there was a way to get Bouwmeester without giving up Barker though (using picks and prospects), DT should look into that.

How about Skille, Ladd, and Havlat?

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 27, 2008 -> 04:50 PM)
How about Skille, Ladd, and Havlat?

I dont like the trading of Ladd. He is a power forward left winger and the only one of that we have on the team is Buff and he still needs to brush up on the offensive sides. I just dont know how you can put together an offer of 3 wingers for 1 dman, take out Ladd.

I heard August 23 @ Sox Park is Blackhawks Night, and to find out for myself, I e-mailed the Sox:

Good Morning,

Yes, August 23 is presented by the Chicago Blackhawks. The firework show is presented by them and we will incorporate may Blackhawk elements into the in-stadium entertainment for the evening.

Enjoy!

Stephanie Johnson

Manager, Client Services

:headbang

Bolts want Malone and Roberts

TAMPA BAY – The Tampa Bay Lightning have acquired the rights to left wings Ryan Malone and Gary Roberts from Pittsburgh in exchange for a conditional draft pick in 2009, owners Oren Koules and Len Barrie announced. Should the Lightning sign Malone, Pittsburgh will receive Tampa Bay’s third-round pick in 2009 or they will receive Dallas’ fourth-round pick in 2009, previously acquired by the Lightning, if Tampa Bay is not able to sign Malone.

from lightning.nhl.com

EDIT- Bolts about to get Malone and Roberts

Sportsnet.ca -- A day after trading for their rights, The Tampa Bay Lightning are close to signing Ryan Malone to a long-term year deal that will exceed $30 million and Gary Roberts to a one-year year deal that has the potential to reach $2 million, Sportsnet has learned.

from sportsnet.ca

Edited by whitesoxbrian