Official 2008-2009 NHL Thread

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 04:36 PM)
It amazes me though... how the hell can you give an 8 yr contract ??

That's nothing...

Wait, they get longer...

Seriously, we just locked up a franchise blueliner, the type that nets you a Stanley Cup, a captain... for what amounts to a steal at 7 million per. Look at Chelios playing well into his mid-40s, and Cambell will be just 37 in the final year of this deal.

I'm very fine with this.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hawks are keeping Habby.....WTF??

He just told Pang it makes a great duo....we are keeping him.

This would make absolutely no sense. I assume its a smoke screen to try and up Habby's value somehow.

Edited by EvilJester99

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 04:38 PM)
That's nothing...

Wait, they get longer...

Seriously, we just locked up a franchise blueliner, the type that nets you a Stanley Cup, a captain... for what amounts to a steal at 7 million per. Look at Chelios playing well into his mid-40s, and Cambell will be just 37 in the final year of this deal.

I'm very fine with this.

Oh I realize this to be the case its just surprising they would offer a hockey player that many years....doesn't matter Tallon got his man!!

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 04:43 PM)
Once they trade Khabby, they'll actually gain another $1 million- in essence, that signing of Huet will be a wash.

They are keeping Khabby.

And they would actually only gain another .6 million if they dealt him... I don't think there's a taker.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 04:45 PM)
Yes, they stand at about 62 million right now.

The only thing I'm hoping is DT just didn't want to come out and throw Bulin under the bus before he was actually traded, but who knows.

That's what I'm thinkin'. Maybe he's trying to get other GMs to think Khabby still has skill left and that "if nobody else wants him, we'll keep him because he is still good". If that isn't the case and he honestly is trying to keep him, I'm POed.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 03:55 PM)
The only good thing is IIRC there aren't any other goalies on the market left... so if someone needs one Habby will be available.

That's true. But there are only 2 teams in desperate need of a goalie- ATL and LA.

1 LANG, ROBERT C $4,000,000

2 TOEWS, JONATHAN C $2,800,000

3 BOLLAND, DAVE C $845,833

4 BURISH, ADAM C $712,500

5 SEABROOK, BRENT D $3,500,000

6 BARKER, CAMERON D $2,768,587

7 SOPEL, BRENT D $2,333,333

8 KEITH, DUNCAN D $1,475,000

9 HENDRY, JORDAN D $625,000

10 WISNIEWSKI, JAMES D $900,000

11 KHABIBULIN, NIKOLAI G $6,750,000

12 Cristobal Huet G $6,100,000

13 EAGER, BEN L $600,000

14 LADD, ANDREW L $1,550,000

15 BYFUGLIEN, DUSTIN L $3,000,000

16 HAVLAT, MARTIN R $6,000,000

17 SHARP, PATRICK R $3,900,000

18 KANE, PATRICK R $3,725,000

19 ADAMS, CRAIG R $600,000

20 Brian Campbell D $7,100,000

BROWN, CURTIS $456,000

Cap total $59,741,253

Cap $56,700,000

Cap space -$3,041,253

Nice to see that Atlanta with their Plan B and we walked away with the Gold

Atlanta is now pursuing Redden and Roszival

Pagnotta also said that Hossa will be signed in a couple hours -- I am just guessing that its either Boston or Edmonton

Rolston to NJ Devils and Dman Commodore to CBJ for 5 years and a little over 18 mil if i read right earlier.

-All that is from TFP and just some of the signing trackers

QUOTE (JFields27 @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 04:11 PM)
Nice to see that Atlanta with their Plan B and we walked away with the Gold

Atlanta is now pursuing Redden and Roszival

Pagnotta also said that Hossa will be signed in a couple hours -- I am just guessing that its either Boston or Edmonton

Rolston to NJ Devils and Dman Commodore to CBJ for 5 years and a little over 18 mil if i read right earlier.

-All that is from TFP and just some of the signing trackers

Pagnotta says it's going to be the Habs or Oilers. Also says NYR and ATL are going hard after Redden.

If the Hawks keep Khaby, that is a collosal mistake. You can't have 12 mill competed to goaltending. I'm assuming he'll use Khaby to get a top 6 forward (or is that too high of an expectation). Afterall, until Khaby is gone they really don't have any other options do they (since they are over the cap)?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 04:15 PM)
If the Hawks keep Khaby, that is a collosal mistake. You can't have 12 mill competed to goaltending. I'm assuming he'll use Khaby to get a top 6 forward (or is that too high of an expectation). Afterall, until Khaby is gone they really don't have any other options do they (since they are over the cap)?

A top 6 forward for Khabby is way too much. We'll be lucky to get a player- a reasonable guess would be 2 picks, or just 1 2nd rounder.

If we do get rid of Khabby, I'd like to see us try to sign Laraque at 1.5 per.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 05:14 PM)
Pagnotta says it's going to be the Habs or Oilers. Also says NYR and ATL are going hard after Redden.

hmm interesting

hopefully he goes to Montreal, just so hes not in the West

6:45pm ET - Tough-guy Georges Laraque won't be back in Pittsburgh... Minnesota has spoken to the agents for Michael Ryder and Kristian Huselius... Nothing new from Jagr camp regarding Penguins.

6:43pm ET - Oilers, Rangers and Habs are pressing HARD for Hossa.

6:38pm ET - Atlanta, the Rangers, Los Angeles, Buffalo and Pittsburgh are among the teams that have pitched an offer for Brooks Oprik

from TFP

If we can move Khabby, I'd love to see us snag Laraque for 1.5 per for 2-3 years.