Official 2008-2009 NHL Thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Gage Loves Me @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 11:36 AM)
Puhhhlease.

Rangers fans said the same thing when we heard we acquired him 2 seasons ago.

Within the first few weeks of the season, he will be your favorite player. All the bulls*** about him being a detriment in the locker room is bulls***. Everyone on the team loved Avery.

Not.True.

I'm not going to get into it, I'm just not. You have your opinion, I have mine, but I also have some pretty close sources to some things. I'm not trying to be a stuck up prick when I say that, either.

QUOTE (Gage Loves Me @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 11:50 AM)
Jagr is half a step away from signing with Omsk in Russia.

I might have a stress induced stroke this season with all the losing we're gonna be doing.

I see your sig - New York, New York... :lol:

Why would Jagr go to Russia, besides $$$$, and it's not like he should need the money.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 10:06 AM)
I see your sig - New York, New York... :lol:

Why would Jagr go to Russia, besides $$$$, and it's not like he should need the money.

Jagr equates money with respect. He said it with his own mouth yesterday.

And why would he wanna come back now to a horrible team? Omsk is offering him a 3yr/$35 mil contract.

Money has almost everything to do with it. Don't fool yourself. There are very very few players whose #1 reason for signing with a team isn't money.

Remember Messier? "Money is not an object to me". Then he leaves for more money.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 10:05 AM)
Not.True.

I'm not going to get into it, I'm just not. You have your opinion, I have mine, but I also have some pretty close sources to some things. I'm not trying to be a stuck up prick when I say that, either.

Your sources......

Do they have a tap on Avery?

hahaha good one.

QUOTE (Gage Loves Me @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 12:21 PM)
Jagr equates money with respect. He said it with his own mouth yesterday.

And why would he wanna come back now to a horrible team? Omsk is offering him a 3yr/$35 mil contract.

Money has almost everything to do with it. Don't fool yourself. There are very very few players whose #1 reason for signing with a team isn't money.

Remember Messier? "Money is not an object to me". Then he leaves for more money.

Meh. Jagr is a primadonna then. But then again, money does talk, you're right... Sundin for $10M per year? Wow.

Re: my "sources" - I know quite a few people in and around the NHL. With that said, OF COURSE his current teammates are going to say "Avery's a great teammate" ... hello, McFly. But then, the real word gets around.

Anyway, it's cool. Avery didn't help the Kings win like that, now did he? He's not the sole reason they were 55-20 or whatever record is out there with him in the lineup. He's not that much of a difference maker, but apparently, Dallas thinks that Avery's going to take them to the promised land. If Dallas does well next season, it's not going to be because of solely Sean Avery.

QUOTE (Gage Loves Me @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 11:27 AM)
Well at least we'll suck so bad it'll be worth it to tank the season and land Tavares.

You guys will be fine. Dubinsky, Lundqvist, Redden, and Roszival will not land you guys the #1, not even a top 8 pick.

BTW- Detroit has to be the favorites to win the Cup, again. Same team as last year and then you add Hossa. It was smart signing him this year because it shows they're going for it all right now, and now with Franzen and Zetterberg coming off the books next year, Hossa will walk and they'll give Franzen 6-7 per and Zetterberg 8-9 per.

One good thing- the Hawks could have about 18 coming off the shelves next year which gives them plenty of room for Hossa.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

Its pretty sad watching NFL Live every day when the season is well past. Nothing is better then a 30 minute NFL Live solely on the Green Bay Packers since Al Harris was in the analyst chair.

Bring back NHL 2Night! .. hah if only espn and nhl could strike a deal

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 03:38 PM)
I can't believe CBJ traded Zherdev. A 23 year old Russian who had 25-35 this past year and then trading him away is unreal.

Too bad Tallon wasn't in on that action.

Edited by EvilJester99

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 03:38 PM)
I can't believe CBJ traded Zherdev. A 23 year old Russian who had 25-35 this past year and then trading him away is unreal.

So in two days they deal of 2 young centers in Zherdev and Brule. Whatever works out better for the Hawks, Zherdev was a good duo to Nash.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 03:45 PM)
THE PITTSBURGH PENGUINS HAVE ANNOUNCED THE RE-SIGNING OF FORWARD EVGENI MALKIN TO A FIVE-YEAR CONTRACT EXTENSION COMMENCING IN 2009-10. FINANCIAL TERMS WEREN'T DISCLOSED.

PITTSBURGH -- The nucleus of the Pittsburgh Penguins should remain intact for years to come.

Hart Trophy finalist Evgeni Malkin has signed a US$43.5-million, five-year extension with the Penguins that will kick in when his entry-level deal expires next summer.

Captain Sidney Crosby signed for the same terms last year and that contract has just started, which means that two of the NHL's elite players are now under contract in Pittsburgh through 2013.

did this slip on everyone, I saw this yesterday just didnt think it was that big of a deal cuz i expected it i guess since i read he was gonna get that kind of money

EDIT: so thats 8.7 mil for those who wanted that

Edited by JFields27

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 03:40 PM)
Too bad Tallon wasn't in on that action.

well being in the same division and only being 8 points apart this past season probably did not help his case

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 12:55 PM)
One good thing- the Hawks could have about 18 coming off the shelves next year which gives them plenty of room for Hossa.

When I saw that Hossa signed a one-year deal, I thought the Hawks should thank the Wings.

This gives the Hawks a year to clear salary if they're serious about going after Hossa long-term.

If Hossa should have a bad season, it either drops the likely salary demands or causes everyone to feel better about not getting him.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 04:17 PM)
When I saw that Hossa signed a one-year deal, I thought the Hawks should thank the Wings.

This gives the Hawks a year to clear salary if they're serious about going after Hossa long-term.

If Hossa should have a bad season, it either drops the likely salary demands or causes everyone to feel better about not getting him.

yeah when i saw the Hossa signing I actually did not feel upset. I am more then happy/fine with the deal. Its not like it changes anything about the Red Wings, makes them better sure, but they also just were the best team in the NHL. It was going to be a big task to take down that team this season. The Division is really starting to show some separations, CBJ i think falls down trading 3 Centers in two days, STL really hasnt changed besides probably draftees coming in like Oshie and Nashville has not dont anything.

I dont even think I want to go after Hossa next season, but thats not even reason to say right now since many changes will be made by next offseason(Havlet, Lang among others)

-----------

Orpik resigned with the Pens for 6 years 22.5 which is 3.75 a year. Probably the best contract this offseason based off value/play

David Koci signed with the Lightning, which is good for him, He never really had a part on the team nor did i really like him.

Also i was thinking pending the hawks get money of course, I would not be surprised if the Hawks bring back Yanic Perrault, anyone else have ideas like that.

QUOTE (JFields27 @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 03:34 PM)
yeah when i saw the Hossa signing I actually did not feel upset. I am more then happy/fine with the deal. Its not like it changes anything about the Red Wings, makes them better sure, but they also just were the best team in the NHL. It was going to be a big task to take down that team this season. The Division is really starting to show some separations, CBJ i think falls down trading 3 Centers in two days, STL really hasnt changed besides probably draftees coming in like Oshie and Nashville has not dont anything.

I dont even think I want to go after Hossa next season, but thats not even reason to say right now since many changes will be made by next offseason(Havlet, Lang among others)

-----------

Orpik resigned with the Pens for 6 years 22.5 which is 3.75 a year. Probably the best contract this offseason based off value/play

David Koci signed with the Lightning, which is good for him, He never really had a part on the team nor did i really like him.

Also i was thinking pending the hawks get money of course, I would not be surprised if the Hawks bring back Yanic Perrault, anyone else have ideas like that.

We have no need for Perrault at all. It would be a waste of money.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 03:59 PM)
We have no need for Perrault at all. It would be a waste of money.

Solid center, the best face-off man ever arguably, and would come cheap.

BTW, Campbell was just on Chicago Tribune Live

Recap:

-Says he loves sports and this is a sports city.

-Hull/Mikita Night was amazing.

-Looks forward to playing with the young guys.

-Talked about his hometown of 11K people.

-Was impressed by the crowd on Hull/Mikita Night as well.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 08:25 PM)
Any reason Hossa couldn't sign or didn't sign a multi year deal?

First he could have signed an 8-9 mil deal for 8 years or so from EDM, but he has claimed how much he wants a cup and then money in that order. Getting 7.4 and only signing a 1 year deal gives him a chance to go to a team that still has the whole team that one the cup and he gets money. Next season, with the way things are going, the cap is bound to grow so next season he can work another July 1st buzz for him to get more money.

Detroit has Zetterberg, Hudler, and Franzen up next season so that is more then likely why Hossa wont be back, unless the Wings want to keep Hossa and 1 of those 3