Official 2008-2009 NHL Thread

I think they should just declare it Tony Amonte season, that's how much I adored the man. Him getting a night, there's nothing wrong with that. He was our best player in the dark ages and the only reason to watch the team for quite some time.

Captain Hairdoo, I love thee.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:41 AM)
I think they should just declare it Tony Amonte season, that's how much I adored the man. Him getting a night, there's nothing wrong with that. He was our best player in the dark ages and the only reason to watch the team for quite some time.

Captain Hairdoo, I love thee.

Agreed. Hard to hate on the guy. It isn't like they are having a Zhamnov night or something.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Sep 4, 2008 -> 05:58 AM)
When is the Boris Mirnov or Igor Korolev night??

I'd happily attend Sergei Krivokrasov night.

How about ex-good Maple Leafs Night starring Doug Gilmour and Wendell Clark?

Or even better... I Should Have Retired Before I Got Here Night starring the above two along with Paul Coffey? (but Lord, Coffey was a God in like NHL 99)

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 10:53 PM)
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Ok guys, not a joke. This is not a joke. Tony Amonte Night was bad, but you can understand it.

FEBRUARY 22nd-BOB PROBERT NIGHT.

Holy f***ing s***.

Isnt there someone on soxtalk that argued recently that Probert was one of the favorite Chicago athletes ever.

That poster should be notified via pm about this. :)

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 03:03 PM)
The Sox and Hawks have done joint marketing too. As far as I'm concerned its great marketing. They are playing a game in Wrigley and are marketing a Wrigley field custom towards hockey. Amonte being recognized isn't necessarily a bad idea too, considering he's the face any younger fan of the franchise would recognize (over Hull/Mikita/Espo/etc).

Agreed. And hey, I was at the playoff game against Toronto at the old stadium where Amonte scored 4 goals. I was just a very little kid then, but I remember it even now. I would probably agree that Tony Amonte night is a bit ridiculous, but that memory alone makes me think he deserves it.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 10, 2008 -> 02:10 PM)
On top of it, it diminishes what they did for Hull/Mikita/Espo. Bob f***ing Probert? The Hawks are celebrating Bob Probert?

This one's probably more for the Wirtz's than anything. Probert was a family friend and Bill Sr did his best to keep Bob on the right side of the tracks. Perhaps he has once again fully reformed, and this is to honor that. I guess honoring the struggle of Probert and how he's fought against addiction is something you can't really argue against.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Sep 12, 2008 -> 02:49 AM)
There's a fourth Heritage Night on the schedule with the player TBA.

TBA? Really? Gotta think about it, can't commit to a player before you release the schedule?

I'm guessing Al Secord or Doug Wilson.

Well, if they want the player to be there, they can't just pick any game they want. In the case of Wilson it would have to be when the Sharks are in town.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 10, 2008 -> 02:10 PM)
There comes a point when you can only go to the well so many times. Looking back at it, I'm shocked they did Hull and Mikita on the same night. Stretch it out!

On top of it, it diminishes what they did for Hull/Mikita/Espo. Bob f***ing Probert? The Hawks are celebrating Bob Probert?

It's not going to be the same type of deal they did for Bobby, Stan, and Tony. I think I recall hearing it'll just be graphics on the scoreboard and some scoreboard. I'm sure the player will come on the ice before the game and wave and do a little bow, but there won't be a full scale production here. In a weird way I like it because if you are going to have so many bandwagon types at the building this year, at least they'll learn about some players from the past.

I'm out there though, so I could be seeing this wrong.

QUOTE (Mr. Showtime @ Sep 12, 2008 -> 06:00 AM)
Well, if they want the player to be there, they can't just pick any game they want. In the case of Wilson it would have to be when the Sharks are in town.

HOORAY FOR THE OBVIOUS!!!

:lolhitting

How bout they decide which player they want to honor, see when he's available, and get that done before you release the schedule.

Doesn't sound that hard to do to me.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 12, 2008 -> 03:05 PM)
FANTASY HOCKEY

Hey guys, I started a fantasy hockey league, I want the norms who post here to join up. Why the f*** not?

Anyway, its on Yahoo. League ID is 3209 and the password is "gohawks".

Join up, draft is next Thursday.

Thanks anyway, my brother, but I don't do fantasy sports. Tried a couple times, and lost interest quickly.

I'm not sure I like it, but something had to be done.

Tallon painted himself into a corner cap-wise with the goalie situation, and no one's going to offer anything for Khabibulin until a starting goalie gets injured.

So DT had to clear salary to squeak under the cap. A 2nd rounder makes it a little more palatable, though.

I liked Lang all right - it seemed like he could produce a little bit and stayed relatively healthy.

The Hawks are really young - maybe too young now. We'll see if The Kids Can Play. :bang

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 12, 2008 -> 08:17 PM)
Lang has been traded to the Habs for a 2nd.

http://blackhawks.nhl.com/team/app/?servic...rticleid=381831

Very interesting. On one hand, I love it, because I HATE Lang(Ian can back me up on that :), ) but this does leave the Hawks pretty thin at center. There still are some FA's floating around, but this move brings the Hawks below the cap by the skin of their teeth, so I don't know if that is even an option. Oh, and they still "have" to sign K.Adams.

I am a big Bolland fan, and think Konti can step up, but it's pretty thin.

I think once the get the bonus situation figured out next week, the Hawks will be fine cap wise. Someone on the Hawks board said this and it is interesting, this is the first move pretty much since Bowman came aboard and Lang was with him in Detroit. Gotta wonder if he had any input on getting rid of guy who takes plays off.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 12, 2008 -> 09:29 PM)
No.

That.

I dunno about this one. I guess it had to be done, but Lang (despite the plays he takes off) is an excellent 2nd line center and can still put points on the board. We'll see, it just seems like if you're trying to get to the playoffs for the first time in 6 years you don't deal a vet like Lang.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 13, 2008 -> 09:31 AM)
Here is how I kinda look at. It probably isn't the right way, but whatever.

The Hawks aren't going for the Cup this year. They may tell you that, or you may want to believe it, but it's not happening. They aren't there yet, and I have no problem with that. They were in a strict rebuild process, and this is just one of the steps. This year, the step needs to be 12-15 more points in the standings, and getting that 5-6 spot possibly. I know, I know, anything can happen in the playoffs, and it if does, fantastic. I just don't think the Hawks are on that level yet. With that being more the "realistic" goal, a soon to be 38 year old center in his last year is very expendable, especially when the two guys replacing him(Bolland/Petri) are supposed to play a major role in the teams future.

Oh, and I hate Lang. :lol:

I agree. We might as well see what we have in Bolland and Kontiloa either way. Also, I've been reading that after 9/15 the Hawks should have 5-6 million to play with as well. Is this correct? Perhaps a trade could be in the works for another forward.

Had my first fantasy hockey draft today. I had the 2nd pick, and there were 12 teams in the league.

C Crosby

C Kopitar

LW Nash

LW Prospal

RW Kane

RW Boyes

D Duncs

D Burns

D Meszaros

D Spacek

G Turco

G LeClaire

BN Dubinsky

BN Vrbata

RN Hamrlik

BN Vermette

Thoughts?

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Sep 14, 2008 -> 04:36 PM)
Had my first fantasy hockey draft today. I had the 2nd pick, and there were 12 teams in the league.

C Crosby

C Kopitar

LW Nash

LW Prospal

RW Kane

RW Boyes

D Duncs

D Burns

D Meszaros

D Spacek

G Turco

G LeClaire

BN Dubinsky

BN Vrbata

RN Hamrlik

BN Vermette

Thoughts?

Not bad at all. Should put up some solid points.