Official 2008-2009 NHL Thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

link

Blackhawks to pursue Burke next summer?

TheFourthPeriod.com

If Brian Burke doesn't sign an extension with the Anaheim Ducks and is available next summer, the Toronto Maple Leafs won't be the only team hot on his trail.

According to the Chicago Daily Herald, the Hawks could try to bring in Burke as the club's next president.

Under owner Rocky Wirtz and CEO John McDonough, the Blackhawks are without a team president, and McDonough is apparently keeping a close eye on Burke's contract status.

Burke told the Fan590 on Monday that he's received a contract offer from the Ducks to stay in Anaheim for several more seasons, but he's yet to sign him because of personal reasons, which he didn't care to elaborate on. However, Burke has yet to rule out re-signing with the Ducks.

It's been widely reported that the Maple Leafs would also like to get their hands on Burke, who has one-year left on his current contract.

Meanwhile, the Chicago Tribune reports Blackhawks GM Dale Tallon has not ruled out making any more trades, including one involving goalie Nikolai Khabibulin.

"We're always looking," Tallon told the paper. "We're working every day to get better."

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 09:36 AM)
I'm off to see the Rangers tonight at MSG for my 1st ever Hockey match, really looking forward to it.

:nono ;) B)

GOOD OLD HOCKEY GAME

Stompin' Tom Connors

Hello out there, were on the air

it's hockey night tonight!

The tension grows,

the whistle blows,

and the puck goes down the ice.

The goalie jumps,

and and the players bump,

and the fans all go insane.

Someone roars:

"Bobby Scores!"

At the good old hockey game!

(chours)

Oh!

The good old hockey game!

Its the best game you can name!

And the best game you can name,

is the good old hockey game!

Second Period.

Where players dash,

with skates a-flash,

the home team trails behind.

But they grab the puck,

and go bursting up,

and their down across the line.

They storm the crease,

like bumblebees,

and they travel like a burning flame.

We see them slide the puck inside,

its a one-one hockey game!

(chours)

Oh!

Third Period.

Last game in the play-offs too.

Oh take me where, the hockey players,

face off down the rink,

And the Stanley Cup,

is all filled up,

for the champs who win the drink!

Now the final flick,

of a hockey stick,

and a one gigantic scream:

"THE PUCK IS IN! THE HOME TEAM WINS!"

At the good old hockey game

(chorus repeat 3 times)

OH!

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 01:30 PM)
There's too much American Lingo to learn here.

I'm having enough problems with the British stuff I have to learn already.

That's rough. Learning American and British lingo in the English language at the same time has to be difficult because they are spoken so differently by the two groups of people, despite being the same language. The language was obviously invented over there, but it was perfected over here. :cheers

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 01:32 PM)
That's rough. Learning American and British lingo in the English language at the same time has to be difficult because they are spoken so differently by the two groups of people, despite being the same language. The language was obviously invented over there, but it was perfected over here. :cheers

No it was Americanized.

Of course everyone knows that Aussies have the best sayngs anyways.

But back on Hockey, I am hoping to see a few big hits and a couple of fights tonight.

Interesting notes from camp... (per Sun-Times via Rotoworld)

Dave Bolland has a good shot at centering a line with Patrick Kane and Patrick Sharp.

Bolland has been explosive in Chicago's training camp so far with a team-leading six points in two days of scrimmaging. Bolland scored four goals and registered 13 assists in 39 games in his 2007-08 rookie season with the Blackhawks. Look for Bolland to enjoy a noticeable boost in production if he ends up on the top line with Kane and Sharp.

Coach Denis Savard is experimenting with pairing Toews up with Martin Havlat on the second line. "Havlat is a difference-maker," Savard said. "Playing [with Toews] will make a difference for both of them." Havlat is capable of scoring a point per game, but he has only played in 109 games over the last three seasons. It will be interesting to see what happens to Toews if he starts the season paired up with Havlat, only to witness Havlat suffering another significant injury.

Interesting. It's always fun to sees Toews and Kane on the same line, but the Hawks will have to be creative to get enough production out of their top two lines. We'll see if it sticks (and if Marty can stay healthy), but Bolland's development is promising.

Looks like Bolland is ahead of Kontiola for the 2nd center spot in the top 2 lines anyways.

I do like Bolland as a player, he had a massive season for London a few years ago. Don't know if he's got the playmaking skills to be a real good player, but I see a few seasons where he'll get around the 60 mark if he's given the chance to do so.

But it is an important season for him.

I heard on the score that the Hawks have established a franchise record by selling something like 13,500 season tickets and tonight's preseason home opener is going to be very close to a sellout, if not an actual sellout? That is AMAZING, I guess it didn't hit me how many tickets have been sold until I heard that this morning, but that is just fantastic. Hopefully, the quality of the team and the amount of tickets sold team up to make Chicago a scary place to come and play hockey again.

EDIT- Link: http://blackhawks.nhl.com/team/app/?servic...rticleid=383020

The Chicago Blackhawks announced today that for the 2008-09 season the organization has surpassed its previous franchise record of 13,425 season ticketholders established in 1994-95, during the inaugural campaign at the United Center. In addition, a near-capacity crowd is expected for tonight’s home preseason game against the Columbus Blue Jackets, marking the most tickets sold for a home preseason contest in franchise history.

Season ticket sales for the 2008-2009 Blackhawks season have increased 300% from October 2007 when the base was 3,400. The increase for the upcoming campaign marks one of the biggest one-year turnarounds in sports ticket sales history for a team that did not qualify for the postseason. However, it is important to note that season tickets are still available for the 2008-09 season by calling the Blackhawks at (312) 455-7000.

“Our players are very excited to play in front of a full house every night at the United Center and it’s our mission to reward these fans with a playoff-caliber team that keeps them on their feet all season.” Blackhawks General Manager Dale Tallon said.

Fantastic.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 23, 2008 -> 10:55 AM)
It has to do with his contract at London. Once his season was over there, he could play at Rockford. I'm pretty sure on that.

OK. The whole thing with rookies having to skip the minors and either play in the Juniors or NHL thing has always been strange. I didn't know the story on Aliu at all.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 23, 2008 -> 08:14 AM)
I heard on the score that the Hawks have established a franchise record by selling something like 13,500 season tickets and tonight's preseason home opener is going to be very close to a sellout, if not an actual sellout? That is AMAZING, I guess it didn't hit me how many tickets have been sold until I heard that this morning, but that is just fantastic. Hopefully, the quality of the team and the amount of tickets sold team up to make Chicago a scary place to come and play hockey again.

EDIT- Link: http://blackhawks.nhl.com/team/app/?servic...rticleid=383020

Fantastic.

yeah I'm going to get the NHL package for the first time.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 23, 2008 -> 12:43 PM)
This is where having 13 million tied up into 2 goalies is killing this team. Shanny is a perfect fit for this team, and I'm sure Bowman could work his magic to get Shanny to Chicago, using the Detroit connection. Put Shanahan on the 2nd line as a LW, and it makes this team a ton stronger. I know Savvy has talked about Toews and Havlat together, but my top 9 would be

Sharp-Toews-Kane

Shanahan-Bolland-Havlat

Ladd-Konti?-Buff

Still a little soft up the middle, but each of those 6 wings have 20 goal potential.

Shanny would look great.