Official 2008-2009 NHL Thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 23, 2008 -> 04:24 PM)
Don't forget Gilmour.

The difference here is he wouldn't be anointed savior, but rather as a role player who can put the puck in the net.

I was half-kidding.

I actually liked Gilmour on the Hawks. He wasn't the player he had been, but he was a solid enough player for them.

The four I listed were BROOOOOOTAL.

I don't think any of those guys other than Gilmour were hyped to the sky either.

Shanahan would be a decent pickup, but they'd have to overspend to get him (even if they HAD the money).

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 23, 2008 -> 12:43 PM)
This is where having 13 million tied up into 2 goalies is killing this team. Shanny is a perfect fit for this team, and I'm sure Bowman could work his magic to get Shanny to Chicago, using the Detroit connection. Put Shanahan on the 2nd line as a LW, and it makes this team a ton stronger. I know Savvy has talked about Toews and Havlat together, but my top 9 would be

Sharp-Toews-Kane

Shanahan-Bolland-Havlat

Ladd-Konti?-Buff

Still a little soft up the middle, but each of those 6 wings have 20 goal potential.

Apparently it's more

Sharp-Bolland-Kane

XXX-Toews-Havlat

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 24, 2008 -> 12:37 PM)
I'll one up you. Now it looks like Kane is going to be tried out a Center.

Now this is becoming a very serious problem. The cap issues were the primary reason Lang was traded. How is this being addressed? Playing someone out of position so 5 million dollars can sit on the bench every night.

I still have a feeling Khabi will be gone one way or another before the season begins.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 24, 2008 -> 01:37 PM)
I'll one up you. Now it looks like Kane is going to be tried out a Center.

Now this is becoming a very serious problem. The cap issues were the primary reason Lang was traded. How is this being addressed? Playing someone out of position so 5 million dollars can sit on the bench every night.

I do not like the idea of moving Kane to center.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 24, 2008 -> 06:36 PM)
Critic, do you think this move is made if Lang was still here, or they were able to sign another FA Center?

Probably not, because there wouldn't be a lack of depth at center, but I'm wondering if part of the thinking in moving Lang (along with the obvious salary relief) was that Kane might benefit from a move off the wing?

I'm certain this was not a primary factor, but it could have been a secondary factor IMO.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3616794

CHICAGO -- Chicago Blackhawks goalie Nikolai Khabibulin has been put on waivers.

Khabibulin is entering the final season of a four-year, $27 million contract. He joined the Blackhawks from Tampa Bay as a free agent after leading the Lightning to the 2004 Stanley Cup.

The Blackhawks signed free agent goalie Cristobal Huet to a four-year, $22.5 million deal in July, giving them two top goaltenders.

Khabibulin was the Blackhawks' highest-paid player until defenseman Brian Campbell signed an eight-year, $56.8 million free-agent contract with the team on July 1.

But Khabibulin has been inconsistent and injured over the past three seasons. In 2007-08, he appeared in 50 games, posting a 23-20-6 record with a 2.63 goals against average and .909 save percentage.

"We're going to do what's best for the Chicago Blackhawks," general manager Dale Tallon said in August about the two No. 1 goalies. "If that means keeping Nick, we'll do that. If not, we'll move on."

The Blackhawks finished 40-34-8 last season.

Good Bye Khabi!

If I start up a fantasy league for NHL, anyone interested? Do a draft Sunday night some week?

I forgot about these overseas games to start the season.

I made the draft for this Sunday night at 7pm. Sox will probably play in the afternoon.

League ID: 73398

password: blackhawks1

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 09:23 AM)
If I start up a fantasy league for NHL, anyone interested? Do a draft Sunday night some week?

I forgot about these overseas games to start the season.

I made the draft for this Sunday night at 7pm. Sox will probably play in the afternoon.

League ID: 73398

password: blackhawks1

I made one awhile ago that got most of the interested guys in this thread in it. I'd join yours too, but no chance in hell I dedicate a Sunday night to a computer on a day the Sox will be playing a playoff game and the Bears play.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 10:08 AM)
I made one awhile ago that got most of the interested guys in this thread in it. I'd join yours too, but no chance in hell I dedicate a Sunday night to a computer on a day the Sox will be playing a playoff game and the Bears play.

Wasn't sure if one was started. No sweat though. I'll delete it.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Oct 5, 2008 -> 04:05 PM)
Penguins getting chippy, down 3-0 with 2 minutes left.

HOCKEY IS BACK, THANK GOD!!!

That.

For some reason in fantasy I didn't get credited with Wade Redden's goal/assist night. HMMMM! Message sent to Yahoo!