Official 2008-2009 NHL Thread

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Oct 20, 2008 -> 09:35 AM)
Seems like Tazer is pressing a little bit, 0 Goals so far this year. Understandable, he's a 20 y/o captain, his coach was fired etc... Lets hope he gets it going soon.

I really did like Kane trying to get him a freebie at the end of the game. I think he was initially looking for Sharp, but then saw Toews and tried to hook him up.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 20, 2008 -> 10:26 AM)
I really did like Kane trying to get him a freebie at the end of the game. I think he was initially looking for Sharp, but then saw Toews and tried to hook him up.

Oh for sure, it was a totally cool to see that. Its one thing to do it when your playing as a kid in travel hockey, but in the NHL where Goals = $$$ having Kane do that is truly a selfless act.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Oct 20, 2008 -> 11:20 AM)
Admittedly, I didn't watch the game that closely... but from what I did see, it did look like they were playing less dump and chase. Considering our team is small and agile (at least our talented players are small and agile) it makes sense for them to carry the puck over the line than to send them in to get their heads banged in.

I'm posting this in response to Rock's comments last page as well.

See, dump and chase isn't necessarily an offensive strategy that teams rely on every single time, or close to it. Does any coach say dump it in on a 3 on 2?

No coach is a dump and chase coach, and no coach is a 'carry the puck in' coach. Every single situation is different in a hockey game. There are systems, but of all games, hockey is the game with the most reading and reacting. That's really how you play it, within certain system limitations.

It's all about what you have. If you don't have numbers, and if they are standing you up near the blue line, you dump it in and make them turn from backwards to forwards, go chase it down, and beat em down for it. It also depends what team you are playing, and how well their D can get to loose pucks and make outlet passes. Who's the current D pairing? How are they stacked? Who are your other forwards? Where are the backcheckers? Shift length?

A well placed dump is many times better than just 'carrying it in.' Carrying it in doesn't mean instant offense, or even a better chance at scoring. Sometimes carrying it in makes no sense at all.

Is it a cross corner dump? Soft dump to your own corner? High off the glass around the net? Make the goalie play it? Lots of options. A team that has no clue how to dump and chase and forecheck well has no chance of winning.

You also obviously dump it in when you need a change, which happens a ton of the time. A lot of fans at games get excited for some sort of rush, only to be confused when it's dumped in and they change. No use carrying it in, even with even numbers, when you are gassed coming back the other way.

With Q you are still going to have a 1-2-2 style forecheck much of the time and clog the neutral zone. They've been forcing teams to dump it in a little more than earlier in the season, and seem to be creating a few more neutral zone turnovers. With Campbell and Keith, I don't mind having them force the dump in a little more, because with as good of skaters as they are, they will get their first hopefully with enough time to make a pass or start the rush.

The d has also rushed a little more and pinched in the offensive zone with more regularity. Reason they can do this, I believe, is that they've had more support near the puck carrier the majority of the time.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 20, 2008 -> 06:37 PM)

See, dump and chase isn't necessarily an offensive strategy that teams rely on every single time, or close to it. Does any coach say dump it in on a 3 on 2?

No coach is a dump and chase coach, and no coach is a 'carry the puck in' coach. Every single situation is different in a hockey game. There are systems, but of all games, hockey is the game with the most reading and reacting. That's really how you play it, within certain system limitations.

It's all about what you have. If you don't have numbers, and if they are standing you up near the blue line, you dump it in and make them turn from backwards to forwards, go chase it down, and beat em down for it. It also depends what team you are playing, and how well their D can get to loose pucks and make outlet passes. Who's the current D pairing? How are they stacked? Who are your other forwards? Where are the backcheckers? Shift length?

A well placed dump is many times better than just 'carrying it in.' Carrying it in doesn't mean instant offense, or even a better chance at scoring. Sometimes carrying it in makes no sense at all.

Is it a cross corner dump? Soft dump to your own corner? High off the glass around the net? Make the goalie play it? Lots of options. A team that has no clue how to dump and chase and forecheck well has no chance of winning.

You also obviously dump it in when you need a change, which happens a ton of the time. A lot of fans at games get excited for some sort of rush, only to be confused when it's dumped in and they change. No use carrying it in, even with even numbers, when you are gassed coming back the other way.

With Q you are still going to have a 1-2-2 style forecheck much of the time and clog the neutral zone. They've been forcing teams to dump it in a little more than earlier in the season, and seem to be creating a few more neutral zone turnovers. With Campbell and Keith, I don't mind having them force the dump in a little more, because with as good of skaters as they are, they will get their first hopefully with enough time to make a pass or start the rush.

The d has also rushed a little more and pinched in the offensive zone with more regularity. Reason they can do this, I believe, is that they've had more support near the puck carrier the majority of the time.

A WHOLE lotta truth in this post.

:notworthy

QUOTE (The Critic @ Oct 20, 2008 -> 08:30 PM)
Canadiens are wearing white at home tonight, the way it f***ing SHOULD BE.

I'm really tired of the dark uniforms at home - leave that s*** to football.

Agreed. I still think of the Hawks whites at the Stadium, sucks that it changed.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Oct 20, 2008 -> 08:30 PM)
Canadiens are wearing white at home tonight, the way it f***ing SHOULD BE.

I'm really tired of the dark uniforms at home - leave that s*** to football.

I couldn't agree more... whites at home is still right to me.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 22, 2008 -> 10:25 PM)
Hawks absolutely dominated tonight, in really every aspect of the game. Made the Oilers special teams look like total ass, and controlled the tempo for almost the whole game.

Impressive W tonight. Still waiting for Byfuglien to show up.....

PK was huge, I thought all those s***ty penalties we took would eventually haunt us.

The lower D guys, Walker, Hendry, Johnson, all played well.

Crowd was really loud tonight, even with some empty seats. Pretty good for a Wed crowd.

QUOTE (shipps @ Oct 23, 2008 -> 10:28 AM)
Havent the Hawks in recent history been pretty good against the Wings?

Yeah they had a winning record against them last season IIRC.

Also ATM, Gaborik from Minny is being mentioned in trade rumors. The asking price seems to be a really good prospect and a good young D-Man.

Would you give up say Beach (thnik that was our 1st rounder) and say Seabrook for him? He wants something like a 10 year $80M deal though.

I think Montreal or the Kings are the favorites to get him however.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 20, 2008 -> 05:37 PM)

I hope you didnt get the impression that I am sitting there wondering why the team dumps the puck at all, or wondering why those guys hit the puck to the other team then run towards their bench.

Savvy brought a much better forecheck to the Hawks when he started, but his offensive philosophy is very simple and also somewhat passe. He never stressed possession in the neutral zone, instead focusing on getting the puck as deep as possible at every chance. This team has both great shooters and skaters and never really used their talents to their advantage in the offensive zone. His power play was atrocious and his constant shuffling of the lines would halt all chemistry between the players. This would all have been a minor problem if his offensive strategy was geared towards his team's strengths. I think you will begin to see that although their forecheck will be very similar to what Savvy used, they will be able to hit more trailers and streakers out of a dump situation under Q.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Oct 23, 2008 -> 11:12 AM)
Yeah they had a winning record against them last season IIRC.

Also ATM, Gaborik from Minny is being mentioned in trade rumors. The asking price seems to be a really good prospect and a good young D-Man.

Would you give up say Beach (thnik that was our 1st rounder) and say Seabrook for him? He wants something like a 10 year $80M deal though.

I think Montreal or the Kings are the favorites to get him however.

The Hawks don't have the money under the cap anyway.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 23, 2008 -> 04:34 PM)
:lol:

They aren't going to have as much money as you think. There will be money to play with, but the last thing the Hawks should do is hand out another big contract. Toews-Kane-Keith will all be up for a new deal after next, so big money will have to be set aside.

I'm confident in saying Tallon won't have any ties to the organization when those decisions have to be made, so hopefully it's not a huge problem.

Toews and Kane can't be given huge contracts until March-April of 2011.