Official 2008-2009 NHL Thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that was a slightly enjoyable night at the UC.

Holy f*** was Colorado clueless in their defensive zone, especially during 'the' shift.

Finally Ladd and Buff showed up to help Bolland, who has carried the little production that line has had all year.

Good to see them taking care of business at home, something they haven't done in years. Tread on the road, and that's how you do it.

link

Hawks to talk to Devils about Khabibulin

TheFourthPeriod.com

Blackhawks GM Dale Tallon told the Chicago Daily Herald that he plans on speaking with New Jersey Devils GM Lou Lamoriello about goalie Nikolai Khabibulin.

The Hawks are trying to trade the 35-year-old goalie, who happens to be off to a strong start.

The Devils found out Tuesday morning that All-Star goalie Martin Brodeur would be lost for three-to-four months with a biceps injury. He is schedule to undergo surgery on Thursday.

Tallon is trying to get Khabibulin's $6.75 million salary cap hit off the books so he can bring in a top-six forward.

The Blackhawks are among the teams interested in unrestricted free agent center Mats Sundin, who continues to work out in Los Angeles.

Citing a Devils source, the Daily Herald claims New Jersey's interest in Khabibulin was a "definite possibility," however another source told the paper Lamoriello might want to give backup Kevin Weekes an opportunity to prove he is capable of carrying the load.

Meanwhile, the Blackhawks have not yet spoken directly to Sundin, but that could change in the coming days.

"I hear he might be interested and that we are one of many teams, as of now," Tallon told the Daily Herald.

Sundin met with Anaheim Ducks GM Brian Burke last night and sat down with Vancouver Canucks GM Mike Gillis last week.

From the Editor: It makes sense. The Devils don't have their star No.1 goalie anymore, and his salary won't count against the cap while he's on long-term IR, giving New Jersey the necessary funds to acquire a replacement if Weekes can't cut it. Lamoriello, however, won't rush into a trade and is going to take his time. He wants to see how Weekes performs first. That being said, I'm sure if the right deal fell in his lap, he'd jump on it. But it looks like he'll take his time, for now. As for Sundin, there isn't much else to report that you haven't already heard. Teams are calling, he's talking to a few of them personally, and he continues to train. That's about it, for now. -- David Pagnotta

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 6, 2008 -> 11:31 AM)
All depends on the $$$ of course. The top 2 lines are working pretty well ATM, although you could easily move Brouwer down to the 3rd line and Byfueglien back to a D-Man.

Byfuglien is not a NHL D-man.... he's barely making it as poor-skating, third-line power forward. I think Brouwer has a lot more upside than Bubba does.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 2, 2008 -> 09:39 PM)
My God, I don't even know how people in Dallas can root for the Stars.

Ott and Avery are 2 completely gutless f**gots. If you don't hate them by now (I have no idea how that's possible), watch below:

OK and if that's not good enough, Mike Modano after the game, referring to Ott and Avery:

"It's stupid. It's one of the more embarrassing things I have seen, on the ice and involved with the fans. In 20 years, I haven't seen anything like it. If that's what we're going for, maybe I need to find myself an office job."

f***ing dbags. Ott running Habby Friday once the game is out of reach, classy style.

A-f***ing-men, brother. I live in Dallas, I used to love the Stars, but I said when they went and got Avery, I would never pay for a ticket again until he's gone. I hate this f***ing team now.

And take it from a first hand source: Steve Ott is a pussy.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 6, 2008 -> 11:28 AM)
Supposedly the Hawks are after Brendan Shanahan, which many of us were in favor of earlier in the year.

When is he supposed to make the decision by?I thought I heard he has a deadline for a day next week.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Nov 8, 2008 -> 11:13 AM)
I wouldn't mind Shanny but don't the Hawks have needs at center more than wing?? Not to mention a little thing called cap hell...

He is also really slow at this point in his career. Would really be slow compared to the rest of our young guns.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 9, 2008 -> 11:09 PM)
Damn the Hawks looked good tonight. I know they were rested and it was a back to back for Calgary, but still, they won 6-1 and it probably would have been worse if not for some great saves by Kiprusoff. Even Toews finally got a goal.

I am trying to keep a level head about the Hawks. While they are terrific at home, I need to see this energy translate to the road, but man they look good. The upcoming-six game road trip will be very telling for this team. Kaner is just a stud and now both goalies are looking great. Can't wait to get to some games over my winter break.

Just another solid all around effort tonight. They are playing a good team game, lots of good puck movement in all three zones, and not giving up a ton of prime scoring opportunities at their end. Q has them playing well right now. Schedule the rest of this week gets tough - 2 of the next 3 are against a good Boston team and a ridiculously hot Sharks team. Will be interesting to see those 2 games with a St Louis game in between.

Keep up the domination at home, go .500 or so on the road, don't collapse on the two long trips this season.