Official 2008-2009 NHL Thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 9, 2008 -> 11:47 PM)
Just another solid all around effort tonight. They are playing a good team game, lots of good puck movement in all three zones, and not giving up a ton of prime scoring opportunities at their end. Q has them playing well right now. Schedule the rest of this week gets tough - 2 of the next 3 are against a good Boston team and a ridiculously hot Sharks team. Will be interesting to see those 2 games with a St Louis game in between.

Keep up the domination at home, go .500 or so on the road, don't collapse on the two long trips this season.

Ill say this, Under Q they are alot more creative in the offensive end of the ice. The passing is more crisp and I think that players like Havlat and Versteeg are really going wild with the puck under his direction.

A little off topic, but I was reading ESPN the mag and Kaner is interviewed in the back and he said that his teammates call him the doctor.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 09:37 AM)
This team is just playing some scary good hockey right now. The only thing they really need to do is cut back on the penalites. Other than that, they look incredible right now.

I would enjoy a couple of winning ends of some fights, but thats minor.

Also, I have to say this, it may be time to see what you can get for Seabrook, the kid looks terrible this season and actually just fell over a few times last night.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 09:39 AM)
I would enjoy a couple of winning ends of some fights, but thats minor.

Also, I have to say this, it may be time to see what you can get for Seabrook, the kid looks terrible this season and actually just fell over a few times last night.

You can nitpick if you like... Personally I would like to see them get more action from the second level on the power play, instead of all of the shots coming from the points. But so far it has worked.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 12:32 PM)
This team may just be better than expected.

Well I dont know about that.This team was expected to be really good by alot of us fans.Dont forget they did do the red carpet thing to start the season as if they thought they were some hot s***.So expectations were the highest they have been in many years.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 07:45 PM)
Versteeg could win the Calder Trophy. He is in the top two of rookies in points and he seems to be a tremendous playmaker. What a stud out of nowhere!

He's a very aggressive skilled attacker and is def a favorite for the Calder.

Anyone else getting tired of the kissing of the fans asses in the post game speech to the crowd after announcing the three stars of the game. Somehow the marketing of this team is getting to me a little. I am not sure if it is because I just think we are being treated like everyone is or what. The red carpet night and tributes to ex-players and all of the stuff. Even the skating around after the game and intermission coverage from the concourse with the doopy people in the background.

The team itself is looking really good no need for the rest of that crap.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 12:57 PM)
Anyone else getting tired of the kissing of the fans asses in the post game speech to the crowd after announcing the three stars of the game. Somehow the marketing of this team is getting to me a little. I am not sure if it is because I just think we are being treated like everyone is or what. The red carpet night and tributes to ex-players and all of the stuff. Even the skating around after the game and intermission coverage from the concourse with the doopy people in the background.

I'm right with you. The stick-raising after almost every victory is on my nerves. It's not special if you do it all the time.

I don't need to be pandered to, just give me a competitive, consistent hockey team and that's good enough for me.

Save the overblown celebrations for the day you finally win the most beautiful trophy in all of sports.

Edited by The Critic

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 05:56 PM)
Hawks are going Cub...its making me sick.

I've been calling it The Second Cubbing for a while now.

All that matters to me is the product on the ice and the long-overdue entry into the Television Age.

Fan conventions, training camp festivals, all the other blah-blah....I don't need it.

I understand completely why they're doing this stuff, and who they're courting by doing this stuff, and it is a good business strategy, it's just not what I look for at all.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 03:25 PM)
I'm right with you. The stick-raising after almost every victory is on my nerves. It's not special if you do it all the time.

I don't need to be pandered to, just give me a competitive, consistent hockey team and that's good enough for me.

Save the overblown celebrations for the day you finally win the most beautiful trophy in all of sports.

I always stick around long enough to watch the stick-raising. I'm a fan of it, I view it as the players way of thanking the fans for the support. I can do without a few of things I've seen promotional wise this season and the cubification as some have said, but, I disagree on this one.

QUOTE (Mr. Showtime @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 09:21 PM)
I always stick around long enough to watch the stick-raising. I'm a fan of it, I view it as the players way of thanking the fans for the support. I can do without a few of things I've seen promotional wise this season and the cubification as some have said, but, I disagree on this one.

It's nice as an occasional thing, but I think it loses its charm if it's overdone.

Thankfully, my work schedule almost never allows me to see it anyway, so I'm not too bothered by it.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 07:45 PM)
Versteeg could win the Calder Trophy. He is in the top two of rookies in points and he seems to be a tremendous playmaker. What a stud out of nowhere!

Skating with Kane and Toews sure helps. I'd almost be curious to see how he did on another line.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 11:57 AM)

Not at all. Too many pro athletes forget who is paying their salary.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 11:07 AM)
When there's nothing to complain about, people find a reason to complain.

It's irriating and contrived.

I love the fact that they are on tv which if they were not would never give rise to the hoopla that is irritating me.

The Versteeg, Kane and Towes line is incredible. Sharp and Havlat are as good a second line wing combo in hockey.

The defense is pretty solid and deep.

The dualing goaltenders look really good.

Joel and Bowman already appear to be making Detroit nervous.

All reasons to be happy now stop kissing my ass as a fan it is insulting.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 02:22 PM)
The Hawks don't care about you. That may seem harsh, but it's reality.

I don't know your history Jenks Heat, but I have a hunch you have been a Hawks fan for a few years. If you sat in the stands during the 2002 season, there is a great chance your sitting there now. I'm in the same boat. They know I'm going to be at the UC win or suck, they don't have to advertise to me.

They are targeting the casual fan, or the fan that hasn't been to the UC is 10 years. They have to kiss those fans ass, and it seems to be working.

I agree but I am not sure any of that is selling the $80 seats as much as I finally get to enjoy really good hockey. I really can get over the orchastrated hype. With the Sox it seems to fit the motif of the team with the Hawks it just seems like they are piling it on extra thick.

By the way I used to go to about 15 games a year but now that they are on tv, on I am in no hurry to get out there.

BILL WAS RIGHT!!!!!