Official 2008-2009 NHL Thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 16, 2008 -> 10:44 PM)
So Showtime and I were at the game Sunday, and were talking about what Tallon could do. A name that we both brought up that hasn't really been mentioned is Modano.

-Dallas is TERRIBLE this season, and it doesn't look they are going to be able to put it together in a tough Western Conference.

-Modano is signed for this year and next. Certainly not a contract killer.

-I'm a little shady on how is contract is structured. He has a cap hit of 3.45 this season, but is only making "2.25" in salary.

A deal I wouldn't be opposed to is Modano for Byfuglien and maybe a mid round pick. The cap hits actually might work, as Buff is pulling down 3 million, and is still only 23(something Dallas could have an interest in.

I'm not a huge Modano guy, but I think he would fill the 2nd line center role nicely, and bring that veteran presence this team really needs.

Sharp-Toews-Kane

Versteeg-Modano-Havlat

Ladd-Bolland-Brouwer

Eager-Fraser-Burish

I wouldn't be against this. His $2.25 mill salary is easily managable, and he's showing some life. I presume he's next to untradeable as he's spent his entire career in the Stars/NorthStars organization. I really doubt they'd move him just like the RedWings never moved Stevie Y.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 16, 2008 -> 11:44 PM)
So Showtime and I were at the game Sunday, and were talking about what Tallon could do. A name that we both brought up that hasn't really been mentioned is Modano.

-Dallas is TERRIBLE this season, and it doesn't look they are going to be able to put it together in a tough Western Conference.

-Modano is signed for this year and next. Certainly not a contract killer.

-I'm a little shady on how is contract is structured. He has a cap hit of 3.45 this season, but is only making "2.25" in salary.

A deal I wouldn't be opposed to is Modano for Byfuglien and maybe a mid round pick. The cap hits actually might work, as Buff is pulling down 3 million, and is still only 23(something Dallas could have an interest in.

I'm not a huge Modano guy, but I think he would fill the 2nd line center role nicely, and bring that veteran presence this team really needs.

Sharp-Toews-Kane

Versteeg-Modano-Havlat

Ladd-Bolland-Brouwer

Eager-Fraser-Burish

I would like to have Modano for that deal you've mentioned also, but I can't see the Stars' trading him.

They need all of the good publicity they can get ATM. And they can't really trade the face of the franchise for the past 10 seasons IMO.

I think someone like Doug Weight from the Islanders (28 points in 31 games this season), is probably more likely.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 17, 2008 -> 12:24 PM)
I sure hope no one signs Peter Forsberg during yet another comeback.

What a joke, he wants to sign with a team "right before the playoffs"... the NHL needs a rule like MLB has in regards to playoff rosters.

No doubt the Hawks will be linked with him after missing out on Sundin.

EDIT: And Quenneville's coached him before back in Colorado I would assume.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 18, 2008 -> 07:55 PM)
Sundin to the Canucks, 2 years, $20 million.

F*** that, I'm glad we didn't sign him.

That team with Luongo in net, just got a whole lot more dangerous though.

I agree it's too much money, but they needed scoring, and Sundin should be able to provide it.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Dec 19, 2008 -> 01:50 PM)
I still am in shock that Detroit handled San Jose the way they did last night. 6-0?! s***!

Detroit is an excellent team obviously, especially at home, and the Sharks were due to play a stinker. Just a perfect storm last night which caused that outcome IMO.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I have really enjoyed watching the Hawks this year but I cant get the full pleasure from it since Iam a new fan that hasnt been through all the downs of the past years. Its weird because although its been fun and entertaining there isnt that sense of satisfaction or pride in being a Hawks fan yet. My guilt of jumping on the bandwagon so late runs deep my friends.

So have we fought on this winning streak at all? Eager has been chased around the ice the last few games to scrap and has declined each time. Bolland was chased off the ice last night after the game and nothing. I wonder if Q told them to lay off of the fights while they are still winning.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 21, 2008 -> 08:57 PM)
So have we fought on this winning streak at all? Eager has been chased around the ice the last few games to scrap and has declined each time. Bolland was chased off the ice last night after the game and nothing. I wonder if Q told them to lay off of the fights while they are still winning.

Good teams don't need to fight. They score.

December 21, 2008 | 10:19am ET

Gaborik difficult to trade

TheFourthPeriod.com

Even though he's back on the ice and playing, the Edmonton Journal reports the Minnesota Wild will have to hard time trying to trade Marian Gaborik.

Gaborik has already rejected a long-term offer worth a reported $8.5 million per season and the Wild is expected to move him by the March 4 trade deadline.

When healthy, Gaborik's a dynamic offensive weapon, but his history of injuries remains a major concern.

An unnamed NHL executive told the Journal "I think there's a lot of teams staying away from him" because of his nagging injury problems.

It has been widely reported that Gaborik wants to sign with the Los Angeles Kings next summer, mainly due to the lifestyle, but the Journal suggests the Montreal Canadiens might make a suitable trading partner.

According to the paper, given the long-time relationship Habs GM Bob Gainey has with Wild GM Doug Risebrough and coach Jacques Lemaire (the three used to play together in Montreal), the two teams make a good fit.

The Journal hints the Habs could move forwards Chris Higgins and Guillaume Latendresse with one of top prospect's Max Pacioretty or Ryan McDonagh.

The Canadiens are high on both prospects, although it's believed the team is willing to part with both Higgins and Latendresse, especially given the emergence of rookie Matt D'Agostini.

With the holiday roster freeze underway, no trades can be completed until Dec. 27. The Wild will likely wait until closer to the March 4 trade deadline to move Gaborik, hoping his value increases.

From the Editor: I can't see the Habs moving either Pacioretty or McDonagh, but I've heard whispers that Higgins and Latendresse are on the block. Of course, I do not believe we'll see a Gaborik trade for some time, and the Habs would be very tight in terms of the cap. Gainey denied having any interest in Gaborik at the start of the season, but things could have changed. That being said, I know of a few other clubs very interested in Gaborik, despite the injury concerns. If Minnesota can get a solid deal in the New Year, they might have to jump on it so this ordeal doesn't give the team an excuse (the excuse of using the situation as a "distraction"). -- David Pagnotta