Official 2008-2009 NHL Thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 22, 2008 -> 01:13 PM)
I normally never get into the All-Star game voting process, because it's pretty stupid, but it will be cool to see Kane and Toews on the opening line this year. They seem to have it pretty much locked down, but right now they are 2 and 3.

Vote!

This post is useless without links.

:D

http://fanballoting.nhl.com/

Up to the minute NHL All Star voting for the Western Conference...

Forwards:

1.) Patrick Kane - 581,264

2.) Johnathan Toews - 484,461

3.) Ryan Getzlaf - 373,592

Defensemen:

1.) Niklas Lidstrom - 488,455

2.) Brian Campbell - 476,339

Goalie:

1.) Roberto Luongo - 410,463

Other Blackhawks notables..

Patrick Sharp - 38,387

Duncan Keith - 28,467

Nikola Khabibulin - 26,472

Cristobal Huet - 5,043

Martin Havlat - 4,432

Brent Seabrook - 3,955

Kris Versteeg - 3,915

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 06:46 PM)
Up to the minute NHL All Star voting for the Western Conference...

Forwards:

1.) Patrick Kane - 581,264

2.) Johnathan Toews - 484,461

3.) Ryan Getzlaf - 373,592

Defensemen:

1.) Niklas Lidstrom - 488,455

2.) Brian Campbell - 476,339

Goalie:

1.) Roberto Luongo - 410,463

That's pretty awesome. While Tallon has made some mistakes, I can't give him crap for drafting Toews or Kane. Sharp is excellent as well.

Going to my first Hawks game in like four years, maybe more tonight. So excited, I can only imagine how cool of an atmosphere it will be with the Winter Classic so close and it being the first game back on the seven game winning streak. SO PUMPED!! And to top it off playing another great team in Philly. Hoping for a big Kaner night.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Dec 26, 2008 -> 10:51 AM)
Going to my first Hawks game in like four years, maybe more tonight. So excited, I can only imagine how cool of an atmosphere it will be with the Winter Classic so close and it being the first game back on the seven game winning streak. SO PUMPED!! And to top it off playing another great team in Philly. Hoping for a big Kaner night.

You dont want to be late for the National Anthem. It's the best in all sports.

I'm also going tonight. It's going to be awesome, yet again.

BTW- for those attending, a man outside the UC always sells this paper. Buy it. It's called The Committed Indian and it analyzes the other team and the Hawks but with humor. It's $3 but it's well worth it.

Did anybody see Alin Vigneault (sp?), the head coach of the Canucks, and what he said? I can't find it now but he said the Hawks are the best team in hockey. Thoughts?

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Dec 26, 2008 -> 12:46 PM)
Did anybody see Alin Vigneault (sp?), the head coach of the Canucks, and what he said? I can't find it now but he said the Hawks are the best team in hockey. Thoughts?

Here ya go:

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=259806

"That team right now is the best team in the NHL," said Vancouver Canucks coach Alain Vigneault following Saturday's 3-1 loss to the Hawks at GM Place. "They've been perfect in December (8-0-1). Their game is real good."

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Dec 26, 2008 -> 12:46 PM)
BTW- for those attending, a man outside the UC always sells this paper. Buy it. It's called The Committed Indian and it analyzes the other team and the Hawks but with humor. It's $3 but it's well worth it.

Is this the latest incarnation of the old "Blue Line," or something completely different?

The guy (Mark Weinberg) who did the "Blue Line" was hilarious, but boy did he hate the old man. Somewhere in my basement, I have an autographed copy of his book, "Career Misconduct." Weinberg was a practicing lawyer and actually sued and deposed WWW in litigation related to the "Blue Line."

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Dec 26, 2008 -> 03:09 PM)
Is this the latest incarnation of the old "Blue Line," or something completely different?

The guy (Mark Weinberg) who did the "Blue Line" was hilarious, but boy did he hate the old man. Somewhere in my basement, I have an autographed copy of his book, "Career Misconduct." Weinberg was a practicing lawyer and actually sued and deposed WWW in litigation related to the "Blue Line."

Yeah, it is. This guy has all these small little comments on Wirtz that really blows him away and some captions here and there.

It's a great read.

I am very nervous about this 3rd period. The Hawks have dominated so far, I think they have something in the range of a 30-10 shot advantage, but only lead 2-1 at the end of the 2nd period. The Hawks have 2 minutes of power play, including about a minute of two man advantage, to start the 3rd and should get at least 1 goal out of it. I fear the consequences if they don't, because as well as the Hawks are playing, Philly is playing very well as well and it's always dangerous to let a hot team stay close in a game when you are really outplaying them by a mile.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Dec 26, 2008 -> 11:05 PM)
Right now, this team is one of the best in hockey. Just an offensive machine and the special teams play has been fantastic.

You're right. They are going to win that division and the conference finals. Detroit is really looking old and on the downswing. San Jose had a fantastic start, you cant do that for a full season and the playoffs.

The upcoming games with Detroit, imo, will go a long way in determining if this team is going to be a #4 seed that has home ice in the first round and a shot at getting to the 2nd round, or if they are a legit threat to beat out Detroit in the division and contest with them and San Jose to win the west.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I was at the game tonight, the fans were great and the Hawks feed off that. I kept watching the shots on goal totals. we killed them and they did not count all them PP slappers from the point that just went wide of the net. There had to be at least 20.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 26, 2008 -> 11:59 PM)
It's a really long season. The one thing about the Hawks is they aren't very deep up top. They really don't even have a true Top 6. Most teams don't, but the elite do, which is what the Hawks are trying to be.

I'm not trying to be a downer, but just looking big picture. None of these guys have really been there, and the NHL season is a f***ing grind. I love this team, and it's been incredibly rewarding watching these guys after having to get excited about the "ABC" line, but I still think they are a year away. Having this core get a round or two of playoff experience under their belt should go a long way.

Yup. Enjoying it right now, staying patient nonetheless.

And the J1 game might not show s*** if the ice/weather is anything like it was last year. It will be a fun game and an event, but may not show much no matter the score. We'll have to see.

It's a really long season. The one thing about the Hawks is they aren't very deep up top. They really don't even have a true Top 6. Most teams don't, but the elite do, which is what the Hawks are trying to be.

I'm not trying to be a downer, but just looking big picture. None of these guys have really been there, and the NHL season is a f***ing grind. I love this team, and it's been incredibly rewarding watching these guys after having to get excited about the "ABC" line, but I still think they are a year away. Having this core get a round or two of playoff experience under their belt should go a long way.

[/quote

I guess we would all be happy with just getting to the playoffs and me too, but what I'm saying is most elite teams have 2 good lines. The Hawks have 4 solid lines, they move the puck and have better speed than any team I've seen this year. Some of the numbers they are putting up are off the charts. We all knew the Hawks were going to be force, it just happened faster than we all thought.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 27, 2008 -> 12:14 AM)
I'm really expecting it to be a s*** game. I'm excited because the Hawks will get some huge national pub, which is great, but it's a shame it's this game, because both teams play an up tempo, back and forth game, which will be mostly eliminated with the weather.

So much for the Hawks flying under the radar. By the way it was the largest regular season home crowd tonight. That record will be broken when the Rangers come in, then the Penguins and the Sat. night game on Valentines day.