Official 2008-2009 NHL Thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 12:31 PM)
The Ducks are shopping Chris Pronger and Rob Niedermeyer.

The Blues are shopping Keith Tkachuk.

I don't think Tkachuk would cost much, but I do think he'd be a good fit for this team's needs.

I'd like to see Tkachuk in a Hawks jersey for sure, but he makes $4.5 million.

Would the Hawks be hit with the whole amount on the cap, or would the hit be pro-rated?

Would that even matter? How much cap room do they have right now?

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 06:53 PM)
I'm not familiar with the Wings' cap space, but Franzen and Hossa are both FA's after the year. If they can only afford one, which one do they choose?

Hossa will probably make over $8 a year in FA. I'm sure they will hold on to Franzen for below market value ala Zetterberg and Datsyuk.

Terrible play by Byfuglien to get Anaheim a shorty at the end of the period. He is either a terrible player, or just a lazy piece of trash. Anytime we want to trade him, I'll drive him to the airport for McDonough.

Speaking of FA, I'd be willing to, with around $14 million in cap room, to give Havlat a 1 year deal worth about $3 and go hard after Hossa, maybe a 5 year $40 million deal like Malkin got.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 08:44 PM)
Speaking of FA, I'd be willing to, with around $14 million in cap room, to give Havlat a 1 year deal worth about $3 and go hard after Hossa, maybe a 5 year $40 million deal like Malkin got.

Be prepared to lose Kane or Toews if you are going to throw 8 million per for multiple years at Hossa. As it stands now the Hawks are carrying one bloated contract into the future with Campbell, and that will cost us Keith. You can't hand out another one to Hossa and expect to keep Toews and Kane, its pretty much impossible to carry 4 huge contracts and still have a competitive team.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 10:44 PM)
Terrible play by Byfuglien to get Anaheim a shorty at the end of the period. He is either a terrible player, or just a lazy piece of trash. Anytime we want to trade him, I'll drive him to the airport for McDonough.

I like Buff less than anyone, but that wasn't his fault. It was Bolland's, end of story.

No thanks on Hossa, where in the hell is that money going to come from? That would be an awful decision.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 07:56 AM)
I like Buff less than anyone, but that wasn't his fault. It was Bolland's, end of story.

No thanks on Hossa, where in the hell is that money going to come from? That would be an awful decision.

I'd rather keep our core together and try to develop or trade for younger players which has been pretty good for us so far.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 08:54 AM)
If you sign someone like Hossa as well, you might as well just give up on a player such as Jack Skille.

Keep developing the youth.

Eh, sure, if you want to give up on a Stanley Cup. A core is great, but its adding to the core that's going to get this team past the Wings.

Now, I wouldn't recommend signing Hossa at the expense of extending our young studs, but we'll have the Bulin contract off the books, and I'm sure somethign could be worked out.

Hawks want Havlat long-term?

TheFourthPeriod.com

According to the Chicago Daily Herald, the Blackhawks are considering the possibility of signing right wing Martin Havlat to a contract extension.

Havlat, who is making $6 million this season, can become an unrestricted free agent July 1.

The Blackhawks are willing to negotiate a new contract with Havlat, but only if he's willing to take a pay cut.

"It would have to be at the right price," an unnamed Hawks official told the Daily Herald. "But, yeah, why not consider it?"

The paper suggests Havlat could be signed for closer to $4 million a year, given the current state of the economy.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 04:14 PM)
The Hawks just gave Campbell a deal that averages over 7 million a year. If Keith continues this sort of play, he has every reason to ask for more than what Campbell got.

I dont follow hockey much but if the economy remains in this state look how it has impacted the baseball free agency, wouldnt be unreasonable for a same effect in hockey especially since baseball is a bigger market.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 01:08 PM)
I have to say it. I've been really down on Seabrook pretty much his whole career, but I have seen some improvement out of him this season and may start backing off the trade bandwagon.

Funny, I am the complete opposite although he has looked a lot better in the last couple of weeks.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Feb 4, 2009 -> 02:42 AM)
Blackhawks continued their Canadian Domination last night with a nice 3-1 win in Edmonton.

I am not used to this "winning on the road" stuff, but I can GET used to it for sure!

Beat them 9-2 last time, outshot them 41-21 last night, would have been nice to have gotten a couple more goals to put the game out of reach early, but a solid win nonetheless

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 4, 2009 -> 09:15 AM)
Marty Havlat is really, really hitting his stride right now. I knock on wood as I say this, but if he can stay healthy and we can lock him up, we've got ourselves a bargain.

He's a classic second fiddle. He can't be "the guy" but playing in the shadows behind some guys, he is very solid.