Official 2008-2009 NHL Thread

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 12, 2009 -> 09:22 AM)
That could be a good pickup for someone, that guy was all over the place last night

Kovalchuk is probably among the top 10 forwards in the league... he's essentially a PPG player for his career, he just plays on a perennial loser and in a place where there should be no hockey team.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Feb 12, 2009 -> 07:02 AM)
Yeah, Steve is right same place different name.

I never had cable growing up, so I never watched hockey as a kid and therefore am not a Hawks fan.

Not a fan of the Blues either though. I have been to a handful of games and I really only enjoy it in person.

I will have to wear Sox or Bears gear to represent.

During the strike a few years ago. I got some Hawks gear at great prices, hoodie, cap, t-shirts even some 3rd jersey bobbleheads.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Feb 17, 2009 -> 08:47 PM)
Havlat with some magic moves that result in a Bolland goal giving the Hawks a 4-3 lead in the 3rd period against the Lightning. The Hawks had trailed 3-1. Stamkos with 1st career hat trick for TB. Kane finally scored the Hawks 3rd goal.

Im glad they won that game because that was a game they dominated.

Rene Bourque is having a fantastic season for Calgary (20 goals, 19 assists, +18). He had a pretty good rookie season IIRC and was ok when on the ice last year, but i'm a bit surprised he is staying healthy and playing so well up there. I'm not sure how much playing time there would have been for him down here anyways though.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 01:43 PM)
Rene Bourque is having a fantastic season for Calgary (20 goals, 19 assists, +18). He had a pretty good rookie season IIRC and was ok when on the ice last year, but i'm a bit surprised he is staying healthy and playing so well up there. I'm not sure how much playing time there would have been for him down here anyways though.

When Bourque was here.... he couldn't finish to save his life. He could have led the team in scoring his first year if he could have finished off a play around the net.

He has a rocket slapshot, and after getting a skate to his neck - im glad he's doing well.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 06:55 AM)
Havlat's playing at the highest level of his career. His work on the boards last night was something spectacular to watch.

I think Q needs to realize that Kane and Toews need to stay on the same line...

Most of the replays showing Havlats work along the boards to set up the Bolland goal could have been expanded to another 30-45 seconds when Havlat had the puck skating all over the offensive zone avoiding defensemen then gave it up got it back then did the great job along the boards . That whole sequence was just so fun to see.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Feb 19, 2009 -> 10:28 PM)
So, there are some rumblings that the Habs are in some serious legal s*** tonight/into tomorrow. I guess they have police waiting for them at the airport where their plane is supposed to land.

If true, I think it sucks, the NHL doesn't need a black eye like this.

For what?

http://forum.canadiens.com/index.php?showtopic=22380

Guesses are drugs.

http://www.rds.ca/video/visionneuse.html?category=10

Click on "L'Antichambre" and then the first "Les manchettes des Experts" (second in the list) to see the Demers clip. It's in French but yeah.

Basically:

Demers: "Honestly, there are things I know, and what looks like what's going to come out [in the papers] tomorrow, I swear to you, I thought about Mr. Beliveau tonight...and I just hope I'm dreaming. I'm a proud Canadien, the Canadiens are my life, and I hope I'm dreaming but I don't think I am"

Bergeron: "I feel the same way. It's unbelievable. Tomorrow, hockey will be second. I don't like at all what I've heard today."

Hartley: "If everything we've been told is true, I've never seen that in my life. If it's true, I'm going back to Atlanta [joking]"

Mitchell: "The Canadiens are my roots, and my idols, like you guys...and it looks like the foundation is going to be shaken. Not just for the Quebecois but for anyone who wears the Canadiens sweater around the country. To me, what's happened, it's unacceptable".

Crete: "We can't go into many details but something has happened that will implicate not just one Canadiens player but many. You'll be hearing more tomorrow."

Alright on SportsRage satelite radio, Gabrieal Morency is saying in 5 and a half hours, news will break. He's speculating from what he's heard.. "According to Gaberial, Price will be implicated as having underage sex with teenagers, Markov being involved in a prositition ring and Kostitysn being involved in criminal activity. This is all up in the air right now and unverifed and could rock the rest of the league."
Edited by chimpy2121

This is going to be really bad from everything I'm reading.

Edit: And now it just looks like the Kostitsyn brothers and Hamrlik know someone in a street gang that was arrested. Or something.

Montreal media blew this out of the water if this is all that happens.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Feb 19, 2009 -> 09:01 PM)
This recent road streak has me convinced the Hawks are an elite NHL team. Not Redwing elite, but damn good.

I'm not sure I would tag them as "elite" just yet... the only ELITE teams in the NHL are Boston, San Jose, and Detroit.

The hawks (like a 3-4 other teams) are a good if not great team that could win the cup if Khabby/Huet get crazy hot, and the kids forget they are kids and produce consistently in the playoffs.