Official 2008-2009 NHL Thread

QUOTE (SnB @ Feb 21, 2009 -> 03:25 PM)
they're good

Huet has a chance to win the Vezina next year, no exaggeration. With this offense's scoring power, the continued improvement on the D and his move into the full-time goalie, he could win it. His GAA this year has been great and its gotten better with the playing time.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SnB @ Feb 21, 2009 -> 03:25 PM)
they're good

Oh yeah, and the scary part is they're only going to get better. They'll be ready to challenge (if not beat out) Detroit for the division title next year, and if they don't win it next year, they will the year after that. To go 9-3 in a stretch of 12 games in a row all in different cities (11 on the road) is incredible. Can't wait for the playoffs, but at the same time I am really enjoying watching them in the regular season as well.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Feb 21, 2009 -> 10:09 PM)
4-1-0 in the last 5, and hopefully it continues to improve. Now 34-15-8 on the year, and the boring Wild come to town tomorrow after a home beatdown vs Detroit. Hopefully, it's another win.

They are getting hotter as they start a homestand which is perfect timing for a run up the standings.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 10:10 AM)
They are getting hotter as they start a homestand which is perfect timing for a run up the standings.

In March, we have 15 games and only 4 are on the road (Montreal, Boston, Columbus, NJ), and we play some weak teams at home- Islanders and Hurricanes.

is it just me or have the hawks been horrible with a 2 man advantage? Cant remember who they played but about a month ago they have like 3 of em in 1 game and didnt convert...i know minny is the top penalty kill team though so i'll cut em a bit of slack

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 09:18 PM)
Remind me next year to sell my tickets when the Wild come to town. They're f***ing boring and frustrating to watch.

But you have seen in a nutshell how to beat the Hawks. Slow, methodical, physical, and 60 minutes. These are the type of teams the Hawks really need to focus for an entire 60 minutes to beat.

I will say they deserved better in this one though. They played a good game, and had a bunch of chances. Their goalie stood on his head, and that high stick goal I still don't believe. I wonder what they were looking at in Toronto to count that one.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 09:29 AM)
But you have seen in a nutshell how to beat the Hawks. Slow, methodical, physical, and 60 minutes. These are the type of teams the Hawks really need to focus for an entire 60 minutes to beat.

I will say they deserved better in this one though. They played a good game, and had a bunch of chances. Their goalie stood on his head, and that high stick goal I still don't believe. I wonder what they were looking at in Toronto to count that one.

They dominated them and the Wild got a goal that wasnt really a goal. usually the Wild gives their offense trouble, but it took a ridiculous game by their goalie to keep them in it yesterday. The Hawks can face those teams in the playoffs and win, it may just take a game longer.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 09:29 AM)

True...in one game. Not sure the 'hawks couldn't beat the Wild in a 7 game series. Might go all 7 though. Going to the Kings game on Sunday and am looking forward to it. Haven't been to a game in probably 10 years.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 11:43 AM)
True...in one game. Not sure the 'hawks couldn't beat the Wild in a 7 game series. Might go all 7 though. Going to the Kings game on Sunday and am looking forward to it. Haven't been to a game in probably 10 years.

We are down 3-1 in the season series against MN this year FWIW.

I was mostly using the Wild as an example, but take a team like Detroit who can grind you like that, and has superior talent on top of it. Look at the Winter Classic game as an example. The Hawks came out flying, but then Detroit took control of the tempo of the game and instead of an open skate, they turned it into a grind fest in the corners, and won the game. It's what still makes me believe the Hawks are a second tier team. They are on pace for over 100 points, which is awesome, but they aren't quite to a Cup Contender status in my eyes. Don't take it wrong, I can't believe the Hawks have made it as far as they have already, but if you want to beat the Hawks, teams could take some notes from the Wild.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 11:52 AM)
We are down 3-1 in the season series against MN this year FWIW.

I was mostly using the Wild as an example, but take a team like Detroit who can grind you like that, and has superior talent on top of it. Look at the Winter Classic game as an example. The Hawks came out flying, but then Detroit took control of the tempo of the game and instead of an open skate, they turned it into a grind fest in the corners, and won the game. It's what still makes me believe the Hawks are a second tier team. They are on pace for over 100 points, which is awesome, but they aren't quite to a Cup Contender status in my eyes. Don't take it wrong, I can't believe the Hawks have made it as far as they have already, but if you want to beat the Hawks, teams could take some notes from the Wild.

Yeah...down 3-1...come back and win it 4-3. See, it all works out in the end!

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 09:34 PM)
Toews now officially with the hat trick on a pass from Barker. More hardhats on the ice . 4-3 Penguins lead approx. 18:00 left in 3rd. 1st career hat trick for Toews, goals 23, 24,25 .

Amazing that he has 25 goals considering the bad start he got off to.