Official 2008-2009 NHL Thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't think we were that desperate for a center... he's obviously not a two-way player and certainly racks up the negative +/- on strong teams. I don't really care that Wiz is gone, but unless DT has been after this guy awhile and he's just been stuck on the 4th line even though he's talented, I don't get this one.

He's got mono, he's a -45, and he's 32. What's the point? He'd better be hella-amazing at faceoffs.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 03:33 PM)
Wow.. Im gonna miss Wiz personally, and I'm sure the other guys in that locker room will too. I honestly don't like the trade.

EDIT: Kontiola is gone too.. but honestly he was gone anyway.

Not diggin' the trade.

Hopefully, this guy can turn around his bad +/- and win some key faceoffs for the Hawks.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 03:33 PM)
Wow.. Im gonna miss Wiz personally, and I'm sure the other guys in that locker room will too. I honestly don't like the trade.

EDIT: Kontiola is gone too.. but honestly he was gone anyway.

Wiz is not that great on the ice, but does stick up for teammates. I really wish we traded him for Moore though.

I really would have preferred to have gotten Vermette or Moore...but this deal should help out. I believe Pahlsson is 20th in faceoffs in the league. Although I will say Tallon wayyyyyy over paid for him. Why give up Wiz a pick and Kontiola? You should have been able to get Pahlsson for a 4th rd pick.

Edited by EvilJester99

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 09:13 AM)
I know that's the ultimate goal, but you can't just jump from not making the playoffs 1 season to suddenly winning it the next, without makin some major signings.

The Hawks aren't going to win the cup this year IMO, but they'll have an excellent opportunity next season if they can re-sign Havlat for a deal round $4M, dump Sopel's contract, and upgrade at the 2nd line C and RW from losing Khabibulin's contract.

Who knows if the Hawks would have signed Campbell had they known that Quenneville was definitely going to be their coach. I don't think either of those 2 had a falling out before, so for whatever reason they just haven't gotten along.

My guess is the Thrashers would probably trade for him to show Kovalchuk that they're serious about winning, if the Hawks really wanted to deal him.

Yes but improving just for the sake of improving doesn't accomplish anything. That money could have been spent better elsewhere, even if it wasn't last offseason. But we all know they were going to throw as much money as they had out there because of the buzz or whatever the hell you want to call it.

And the reason Q and Campbell are having a falling out is because of Campbell's play. Q calls it like he sees it.

Wish we would have ended up with Moore, Pahlsson is kind of a meh acquisition on paper. And giving up on Kontiola, awful.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 02:37 PM)
Wiz is not that great on the ice, but does stick up for teammates. I really wish we traded him for Moore though.

Seriously Moore only netted a 2nd round pick. Blackhawks couldn't beat that for a guy who is making only 900K ? Sammy P. won't even be in the lineup for 2 weeks.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 07:16 PM)
Seriously Moore only netted a 2nd round pick. Blackhawks couldn't beat that for a guy who is making only 900K ? Sammy P. won't even be in the lineup for 2 weeks.

The Hawks can't afford 900k and still make it under the salary cap. We could not have made this trade.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 05:27 PM)
The Hawks can't afford 900k and still make it under the salary cap. We could not have made this trade.

What do you think Pahlsson is making ? $1.4 mill. according to what I looked up. Besides aren't the salaries prorated for the remainder of the season so the Hawks would have been paying less than half of that. Maybe the Leafs didn't want to take on any salary since they took a draft pick. If that's the case I still think the Hawks could have given up a 2nd and 4th or 5th rounder to get a better younger player who would have more time to adjust to his team mates than will Pahlsson who has mono.

According to NHLSCAP.com the Hawks had a max deadline addition of around $1.3 mill. and they also lost part of Craig Adams salary so they easily could have added Moore for draft picks. http://www.nhlscap.com/teamnumbers.htm

But to be fair I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to figuring it all out . Wiz and Adams salary combined was 1.5 mill so that seemed to cover the 1.4 they picked up in Pahlsson salary. How the guy at NHLScap.com came up with 1.3 max deadline space is beyond me.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 07:49 PM)
What do you think Pahlsson is making ? $1.4 mill. according to what I looked up. Besides aren't the salaries prorated for the remainder of the season so the Hawks would have been paying less than half of that. Maybe the Leafs didn't want to take on any salary since they took a draft pick. If that's the case I still think the Hawks could have given up a 2nd and 4th or 5th rounder to get a better younger player who would have more time to adjust to his team mates than will Pahlsson who has mono.

According to NHLSCAP.com the Hawks had a max deadline addition of around $1.3 mill. and they also lost part of Craig Adams salary so they easily could have added Moore for draft picks. http://www.nhlscap.com/teamnumbers.htm

But to be fair I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to figuring it all out . Wiz and Adams salary combined was 1.5 mill so that seemed to cover the 1.4 they picked up in Pahlsson salary. How the guy at NHLScap.com came up with 1.3 max deadline space is beyond me.

The cap number I saw eariler in the season was something like $300,000 that we had left. I don't know if that has changed or not, but it is in this thread somewhere. Anyway, this trade worked because the Hawks moved a salary to open up space to be able to aquire the salary that they got. In the case of the other trade, a draft pick was traded, which if the numbers I saw previously are right, would have put the Hawks over the cap, because they weren't losing any salary.

Quenneville had some really nice things to say about Pahlsson in the Daily Herald FWIW. Said he was excellent defensively, good on the PK, and should have been in contention for the Jack Selke Trophy for the past few seasons.

They may move Bolland to the 2nd line, and play Pahlsson next to Ladd and Havlat, or play Pahlsson as the 2nd line center possibly, I think the article mentioned also.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 01:25 PM)
Quenneville had some really nice things to say about Pahlsson in the Daily Herald FWIW. Said he was excellent defensively, good on the PK, and should have been in contention for the Jack Selke Trophy for the past few seasons.

The +/- begs to differ.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 9, 2009 -> 08:39 AM)
I'm sure it's one of those nasty contusions on the shin and or knee that will heal with rest. You block a shot it hurts some times.

Meanwhile, these are the worst two games the Hawks have played in a row this year.

Really since Khabi went down, this team hasn't played well. We have had problems sustaining offensive pressure for a while now.