Official 2008-2009 NHL Thread

For the first time since going with season tickets to games as a kid at the Chicago Stadium, my ears are legitimately ringing as I type this. Happened every night as I went to bed. I can't describe how awesome this is for me and all the die hard Hawks fans out there that have endured such a brutal team for years. We never went away.

It's great to have that ringing back.

BTW Steve, how's the crow taste on Kane? You love him now! f***ing sick backhand, good God. BTW, I haven't seen a game in a while with so many absolute laser goals.

And f*** all this 'the rest of this is gravy' talk after the Calgary series. I f***ing want the Stanley Cup, end of story, nothing else is gravy. It's like everyone's waiting to pull out the 'they were too young to win, they need experience, now they can go win.' No reason they can't win now, none. That's hindsight backwards thinking. Go f***ing win. I'm never satisfied with division championships/winning one playoff game/winning one series, etc.

Go play your ass off against whoever we play next, and let the chips fall how they may.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a big Blackhawks fan growing up in the early 80s in Chicago,Murray Bannerman was the s*** for me...then my family moved to Cali and me being Mexican,are you kidding?I wasn't about to let my new friends know I liked hockey (lol) I never got to see them on TV and they basically sucked since the mid 90s so my interest in the sport in general faded.

So I'm guilty as charged of being a bandwagon fan but you know what?I'm glad that I am because I had forgotten how much I enjoyed hearing Pat Foley on the radio yell "he shoots he scores"!!!Ahh,the memories...

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 12, 2009 -> 12:42 AM)
It's kind of a unique situation. I was a pretty huge Blackhawks fan up until the strike. I used to watch them in the Amonte/Nylander/Zhamnov/Thibault/Daze days and it was rough. Then I got older and the Hawks sucked, they weren't on TV, and the NHL was losing the greats that lured me in (Patrick Roy, Raymond Bourque) and my interest waned. Since the day the Hawks drafted Kane, my interest has gone up and up, and now being able to watch them on TV every game really makes it easier to be a fan again. There is a lot to be excited about.

I'm the same way. Growing up as a kid, I remember loving the Hawks, convincing my parents to order HawkVision when they were playing for the cup against the Penguins, the freaking playoff games werent even on free TV. Then the lockout happened, hawks got bad, no games on TV, and as a youngster, kinda lost interest, still tried to follow them a little bit. Now they finally have good young exciting players, bought season tickets this season and its been incredible, especially the game last night.

I think Q was most happy with the play of Soupy Campbell as he pointed it out about three times during the press conference.

Keith seemed to have a miserable game last night. I'd like a seven game Duck Det series to get him some rest.

Byf's penalty was bad but he seemd to simply stiff arm the guy. Kind of offset the Eager penalty as that was a lucky one for the Hawks.

Kane is 19.

The future is quite bright if Huet earns his keep and Marty is resigned.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 12, 2009 -> 09:36 AM)
I think Q was most happy with the play of Soupy Campbell as he pointed it out about three times during the press conference.

Keith seemed to have a miserable game last night. I'd like a seven game Duck Det series to get him some rest.

Byf's penalty was bad but he seemd to simply stiff arm the guy. Kind of offset the Eager penalty as that was a lucky one for the Hawks.

Kane is 19.

Hopefully the Sedin twins become the priority FAs for most teams and Havlat kind of just gets forgotten. With the bad economy, the Hawks might get a bargain on him, too. But I am pretty sure he wants to be a B-hawk, so as long as the money is fair. But in three years, this team is gonna have a tricky cap situation with all their studs. I wouldn't be surprised to see a trade of a Brouwer-type player and maybe Skille to try and obtain a young goalie. Beach is going to be ready next year, and so will others. They have a great situation with a great minor league system and tons of young stars right now. Just need that young stud goalie.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 12, 2009 -> 09:36 AM)

Kane is 19.

Hey, someone pointed out Soup had a great series. I sure hope Keith gets his head out of his ass.

My unsung hero of the series is probably Dave Bolland. Every time I looked he was digging a puck out of the corner, or pressuring the Sedins. He is truly a player that does the little things. His line was one of the most important pieces of beating both Van and Calgary.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 12, 2009 -> 12:51 AM)
BTW Steve, how's the crow taste on Kane? You love him now! f***ing sick backhand, good God. BTW, I haven't seen a game in a while with so many absolute laser goals.

He's got his confidence back... this is very good.

Thanks for the props on my calling Hawks in 6, btw. Don't be selective or anything.

I thought Hjarmlsson had a pretty good series as well. He doesnt do anything flashy or doesnt appear in the scoring book with points, but it just seems like everytime hes touching the puck, hes making a good play, getting the puck out of the Hawks zone, just being a solid defenseman.

QUOTE (The Critic @ May 11, 2009 -> 02:30 PM)
f***ing idiots running the NHL decided that Scott Walker throwing a punch at a still-gloved Aaron Ward was not a suckerpunch.

No suspension, just a fine.

Maybe it's better that way. Walker better have his head on a swivel tomorrow night.

That's because it wasn't. I was shocked, but glad, that the NHL only handed him a fine. Nowadays they suspend people ridiculously. Aaron Ward was giving it to Cullen and Walker jumped in to protect his smaller (and non-fighter) teammate. Actually, you could argue that Walker was 3rd man in which equals an auto ejection. But anyways, Walker pressed the issue yes but Ward had his arms down as if he was going to drop his gloves. In a play that evolved that quickly, there was not malicious intent on the part of Walker to deliver a chaep shot(aside from the obvious fact that it was a fight). It was all about getting a quick start against a larger player. Lucic went beserk after it though. Finally shows some balls when it's a much smaller player. He's such a pansy.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 12, 2009 -> 10:41 AM)
Nucks fans are completely blaming the loss on the refs. Canadians arent always as nice as they appear.

People who blame the refs are stupid in general anyways, but anybody who blames the refs in THAT series is silly. The Hawks were simply the better team, and if anything, the refs seemed to favor the Canucks a bit at times (although I didn't have any problem with the refs throughout this series, thought it was pretty fairly called for the most part). You can't blame the refs for your goalie giving up 7 goals in a do or die game either. Anyways, I am just stunned at how far and how fast the Blackhawks franchise has risen from the dead, and I couldn't be happier. Hopefully they aren't done yet.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 12, 2009 -> 12:42 AM)
It's kind of a unique situation. I was a pretty huge Blackhawks fan up until the strike. I used to watch them in the Amonte/Nylander/Zhamnov/Thibault/Daze days and it was rough. Then I got older and the Hawks sucked, they weren't on TV, and the NHL was losing the greats that lured me in (Patrick Roy, Raymond Bourque) and my interest waned. Since the day the Hawks drafted Kane, my interest has gone up and up, and now being able to watch them on TV every game really makes it easier to be a fan again. There is a lot to be excited about.

Pretty much the same story here. I got into the Hawks at a very young age and was a pretty big fan all the way through the days where the 2002 team made it to the playoffs and a bit beyond that. But after that team, things got really, really bad and the lockout happened and I got into my later days of high school and beyond and I kind of almost forgot about them for a few years. I'm glad they have reminded me why I was such a big fan growing up.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 11, 2009 -> 11:42 PM)
Man I feel the exact same way.

It is amazing how well this team has been built thru the draft and via trades. You have to be amazed at how young this group is, and hopefully we can keep them around for the next decade. Kane is still not even old enough to drink (20) and Toews just turned 21 last month. That is crazy.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ May 12, 2009 -> 10:27 AM)
I'm going to call a spade a spade and say that Campbell has been fantastic this series. To me, this is one of the first times all season he is playing to all his strengths, and its showing. Pinching up in the offensive zone to help the play out, great puck movement up the ice, and solid point production. He still is going to get beat in his own end, thats never going to change, but if his level of play stays the way it's been over this series, his contract will be easier to stomach.

Krush talked about it earlier, and he is right. At this point, the Hawks are playing with house money. Obviously they are going to be on the heels vs. Detroit, but if I'm Q, I tell these guys to play their own game, and see what happens. Take some chances, and see what happens.

Call me crazy, but right now I think Detroit is a better matchup for the Hawks. I know they only beat the Wings on that last weekend, but the way they're playing right now, I think the built-in rush of facing a divisional opponent (and the buzz that the home crowd and the travelling Detroit crowd would provide) would serve them well.

Plus, the Wings are just a little older than the Ducks, and Osgood always looks more beatable than Hiller to me.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 12, 2009 -> 01:41 PM)
Nucks fans are completely blaming the loss on the refs. Canadians arent always as nice as they appear.

Are they blaming the refs for Vancouver going 1-5 on the power play or for Roberto Luongo playing like Stevie Wonder in the net?

Im a bandwagon fan I guess kinda, I started watching them last season. But, to be fair I always liked to watch the Stanley Cup finals even if my personal knowledge of hockey wasnt all that high. And, with an owner like the blackhawks had, it is hard to be a fan of the team.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 12, 2009 -> 10:14 AM)
Hey, someone pointed out Soup had a great series. I sure hope Keith gets his head out of his ass.

My unsung hero of the series is probably Dave Bolland. Every time I looked he was digging a puck out of the corner, or pressuring the Sedins. He is truly a player that does the little things. His line was one of the most important pieces of beating both Van and Calgary.

I hated on Kane, Campbell and Buf all year. I am glad I was proven wrong.

I think Buf really got into Roberto's head early in the series and it affected him throughout. He actually was about to break down after the game. He had to walk away becasue he was crying or about to. It was a great moment becasue you saw the emotion and the impact of losing and his beliefthat he let his team and city down. I actually felt bad for him.