Official 2008-2009 NHL Thread

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 26, 2009 -> 01:32 PM)
What is Huet for us then? Alot of good teams have 2 productive goalies making less combined than Huet is going to make a year.

Huet is the lesser of two evils.

Let's be real here. The guy had freaking 2 months off and they expect him to jump into the middle of a series against the Stanley Cup Champions and be a wall? I don't think so. It was bad luck that Khabibulin got injured.

I'm no fan of having Huet the next 2 years at $5.65 million, but Campbell for another SIX years at $7.14 million? That's going to get in the way of keeping at least one player we really want to...

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 26, 2009 -> 01:37 PM)

Let's be real here. The guy had freaking 2 months off and they expect him to jump into the middle of a series against the Stanley Cup Champions and be a wall? I don't think so. It was bad luck that Khabibulin got injured.

I'm no fan of having Huet the next 2 years at $5.65 million, but Campbell for another SIX years at $7.14 million? That's going to get in the way of keeping at least one player we really want to...

Im not specifically talking about that game, I am talking about him in general. He has a giant hole that EVERYONE knows about. Both of their contracts make me want to puke actually.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 26, 2009 -> 01:39 PM)
Im not specifically talking about that game, I am talking about him in general. He has a giant hole that EVERYONE knows about. Both of their contracts make me want to puke actually.

Yeah, but when compared to Campbell's, his is practically nothing. We're talking $11 mill remaining vs. $42.6.

Honestly, it's been nice to see the kids come together... but everytime DT has dipped into FA he's made colossal mistakes.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 26, 2009 -> 01:41 PM)
Yeah, but when compared to Campbell's, his is practically nothing. We're talking $11 mill remaining vs. $42.6.

Honestly, it's been nice to see the kids come together... but everytime DT has dipped into FA he's made colossal mistakes.

He HAD to make those moves however because they needed a D man like Campbell and they needed a long term solution at Goalie since khabby is older and will be asking for money. I just wish we could have developed both internally, at least an impact netminder.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 26, 2009 -> 01:51 PM)
He HAD to make those moves however because they needed a D man like Campbell and they needed a long term solution at Goalie since khabby is older and will be asking for money. I just wish we could have developed both internally, at least an impact netminder.

He didn't HAVE to make either of those moves. He chose to.

And he'll likely be fired because of it, which won't shock me.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 26, 2009 -> 11:24 AM)
I held off as long as I could.

Brian Campbell is our Alfonso Soriano.

Admitting it is what, step 1? :headbang

Though Soriano is way more talented and actually contributes more.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 26, 2009 -> 01:37 PM)

I believe Huet signed a 4 year deal.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 26, 2009 -> 08:05 PM)
He didn't HAVE to make either of those moves. He chose to.

And he'll likely be fired because of it, which won't shock me.

SO you are saying you think DT is going to be fired after taking the Hawks to the conference finals after probably the largest franchise turnaround in sports history?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 26, 2009 -> 01:39 PM)

In the first five minutes of game 4, I think i heard the anouncers say "Aim high on Huet, he always struggles with high shots" about ten times.....

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 27, 2009 -> 09:51 AM)
SO you are saying you think DT is going to be fired after taking the Hawks to the conference finals after probably the largest franchise turnaround in sports history?

Unless he can maneuver out from the horrible cap position he has put the team in, he will deserve it.

IMO, he's way over his head as a GM. Besides the Campbell-Huet cap dilemma, he left the team in horrible shape to compete after the post-strike rule changes. I can't give him too much credit for Kane or Toewes, those were pretty-much Rod Thorn/Larry Himes-ish no brainers thanks to lousy seasons and lucky ping-pong balls. And its no coincidence that his teams only really began improving once the Bowmans influence rose.

If they can s***can Savard just four games in, they can s***can Dale after reaching the conference finals, if that's what they feel they need to do to win. See the Chicago Bulls and Doug Collins.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Paxson type move, where Tallon moves upstairs, and Dudley takes over the day to day GM duties under the eye of Scottie Bowman.

Yes, I absolutely do think he should. But, I think he will end up with another season.

Let's not be blind to other issues (some mentioned already) just because the team made it this far. Problem is, he's already set up a huge mess, and I don't trust him to get out of it.

Rocky's comments weren't very encouraging (putting it mildly) as well, fwiw.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 27, 2009 -> 01:03 PM)
Yes, I absolutely do think he should. But, I think he will end up with another season.

Let's not be blind to other issues (some mentioned already) just because the team made it this far. Problem is, he's already set up a huge mess, and I don't trust him to get out of it.

Rocky's comments weren't very encouraging (putting it mildly) as well, fwiw.

I always thought they hired Bowman with the intention of putting him in a role like this, but I think Dale bought himself another season with this premature run. It would almost be bad PR to can him at this point.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 27, 2009 -> 01:13 PM)
I always thought they hired Bowman with the intention of putting him in a role like this, but I think Dale bought himself another season with this premature run. It would almost be bad PR to can him at this point.

He probably did and that is true...but, remember the Hawks took a ridiculous PR hit with Savvy. IMO Tallon being fired wouldn't top that hit, since Savvy is a Hawk legend. Perhaps it would be a bit less of a PR hit as people would say 'well looked what happened with Q...they seem to know what they are doing.' I just don't know if they are worried about that PR stuff anymore, because why would they at this point. They are worried about winning a Cup, not just topping out at the conference finals. Honestly, it's hard to imagine this team being any better next year. I realize I'm saying this in May and a lot of things can happen to change that, but I can see it happening as it is now.

I still think it's whatever the elder Bowman thinks, that matters. From what I've heard, he was the one that wanted Savvy out, and got it shortly thereafter.

So far the Hawks have a really stupid penalty in the too many men. How many freaking times do they have to do that b4 they finally learn?? The Hawks are running all over the damn place and are getting outplayed big time so far. Thankfully, Huet has looked good.