Official 2008-2009 NHL Thread

Three-way deal in works?

By DON BRENNAN, SUN MEDIA

Blackhawks goaltender Nikolai Khabibulin appears to be the odd man out in Chicago heading into the 2008-09 season. (AP file photo)

If talk turns to action, Bryan Murray could be on the verge of making his biggest move as the GM of the Senators.

A hot rumour in NHL circles has him discussing a three-way blockbuster with the Chicago Blackhawks and Los Angeles Kings, Sun Media has learned. While draft picks and other players might also be involved, the principals appear to be a group of five or six that include a couple of veteran goalies and some of the game's most promising stars.

According to insiders, Ottawa would trade netminder Martin Gerber and defenceman Andrej Meszaros to Los Angeles, the Kings would move 20-year-old centre Anze Kopitar to Chicago and the Blackhawks would propel goalie Nikolai Khabibulin and either of young blueliners Brent Seabrook or Cam Barker to the Senators.

On the surface, it seems the deal could be a rare win-win-win.

The Senators appear to be at something of a contract impasse with Meszaros, a restricted free agent with three seasons of NHL experience who is said to be looking for a salary in the $3.5-million (all terms US) range. The 22-year-old Czech was the team's seventh-leading scorer last season and, should he be re-signed, stands as its top puck-moving defenceman. But Meszaros' play has also slipped since his standout rookie season and many view him as Murray's primary piece of trade bait.

Gerber, who is entering the last of a three-year deal that will pay him $3.7 million in 2008-09, has had his ups and downs as a Senator. Moving him now before losing him next July as an unrestricted free agent would be Murray's desire, if he could get a No. 1 goalie back in return. Enter Khabibulin, a 12-season veteran who won the Stanley Cup with the Tampa Bay Lightning to 2004.

The Senators made a pitch for the 35-year-old Ukrainian at last February's trade deadline and it's believed they've inquired about him again since then. Khabibulin, who will earn $6.75 million in 2008-09, is also slated to become a UFA next summer. Last season, his third in Chicago, he posted a 23-20-6 record with a 2.63 GAA and a .909 save percentage.

The 'Hawks are looking to move Khabibulin, having signed Cristobal Huet to a four-year, $22.5-million free-agent contract earlier this month.

Barker, 22, was the third overall pick of the 2004 draft. Over the past two seasons, he has played just 81 games, including 45 last year, when he had six goals, 12 assists and 52 penalty minutes. The 6-foot-3, 200-pounder is scheduled to make $2,768,587 in the upcoming season. His salary cap hit, however, is $984,200. Barker is an RFA next season.

The better catch might be Seabrook.

Seabrook, 23, carries a contract that will pay him $3.5 million in each of the next three seasons. The 6-foot-3, 220-pounder was Chicago's first-round pick (14th overall) in 2003 and equalled his career high with 32 points (nine goals) in 2007-08. The Blackhawks can afford to move one of their offensively gifted blueliners after signing Brian Campbell to a mega-bucks, multi-year contract earlier this month.

Just as the Kings are in need of a starting goalie and apparently looking to build up their blue line, the 'Hawks are hoping to land another top-six forward to go along with the growing crop of talent already in place.

As a sophomore, Kopitar led Los Angeles in scoring last season with 32 goals and 45 assists. He will make $765,000 next season and is slated to become a restricted free agent next summer.

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Hockey/200...168871-sun.html

Edited by Steve9347

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 03:58 PM)
Granted, what I think doesn't mean a thing, but to me, this is going to be a make or break type deal for Tallon. After this trade, this is pretty much it. The Hawks should be good to go with the cap, and the team should be set. After that, it's time for the playoffs. If he fails, then it's over for him, at least in my eyes. This is the off-season where "the run" starts, and this deal sounds like a huge part of it.

Don't fail.

What he said. If he (Tallon) makes this deal and f***s up our future, he will be out of here.

BTW- if this trade goes down, our defense doesn't look so hot on paper with Barker/Seabrook gone and Wiz out for 2-3 months to start the year.

Also, Byfuglien changed his # from 52 to 33.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

I dont even know where to start with these rumors, but wow I would just flip if it happened. Until then ill just hang out and wait.

So whose going to the Convention? Ill be there Friday

DT says nothing going on.

Hawks general manager Dale Tallon has heard the rumors of a possible blockbuster trade involving the Blackhawks, Los Angeles Kings and Ottawa Senators that would exchange some big names. Problem is, he says, that's all they are — rumors. And they aren't true.

"Things are quiet right now," Tallon said Wednesday. "Somebody's making a good deal in their head."

The Hawks are above the salary cap, but Tallon isn't worried about getting the team below it before the season begins and said he mostly is keeping an eye on potential movement with free agents.

"I don't foresee anything happening in the next couple of weeks," Tallon said.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...1,4671715.story

Of course, it's not like he would say anything is going on. But we shall see...Maybe he's got a little KW in him when he says all is quiet on the western front, a war is usually going on.

Wouldn't it be worth just offering Khabibulin and say Barker for Kopitar and not getting Ottawa involved (and offer picks and prospects if you have to get a deal done)?

Having a 1-2 punch of Toews and Kopitar would be Crosby and Malkin like. The only issue would be how would you re-sign all 3 once they hit RFA I guess.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 11:17 AM)
Wouldn't it be worth just offering Khabibulin and say Barker for Kopitar and not getting Ottawa involved (and offer picks and prospects if you have to get a deal done)?

Having a 1-2 punch of Toews and Kopitar would be Crosby and Malkin like. The only issue would be how would you re-sign all 3 once they hit RFA I guess.

Well, I think these trade rumors were BS. LA has no reason to move Kopitar...

Maybe if you offered something like Khabibulin, Barker, 1st rounder, and Skille you'd have something though... but I think Barker's just going to be a late bloomer and could be very important to the team.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 11:23 AM)
Well, I think these trade rumors were BS. LA has no reason to move Kopitar...

Maybe if you offered something like Khabibulin, Barker, 1st rounder, and Skille you'd have something though... but I think Barker's just going to be a late bloomer and could be very important to the team.

Seems to me as if Dean Lombardi has an obsession with good young defenseman (he's taken 2 with 2 top 5 picks in the last 2 drafts (that's a lot of 2's)). Hence why he's being linked with Mesjaros I guess.

Barker could end up being very good, but Kopitar's flat out a stud right now and could be a 100 point player if he had the right linemates around him.

I think with the team wanting to win now, this is why they want to make the move if they can. Players such as Skille are going to be 3-4 years away most likely from being good consistent NHL players, and while their currency is still fairly high, if DT can move them for a young stud who can produce now, I'd go down that route.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 11:17 AM)

Kopitar is a RFA after this season I believe and with Lang, Khabibulin, and Havlat coming off the books, that shouldn't be a problem to extend Kopitar. Also, Toews, Kane, and Keith can't be dealt with until 2011.

QUOTE (JFields27 @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 11:49 AM)
The Schedule is out, Regular Season tickets go out on sale August 11 at 10 CST. The Hawks have a very strong march/april schedule, 15 home games

I like the fact that Boston, Pittsburgh, and both New York teams come in this year. It seems like we haven't seen any of those teams in 2+ years.

The Hawks do have an impressive crop of forwards in the farm system. Here's who I think will start out the year at Rockford, or with the Hawks:

Kontiola

Brouwer

Skille

Aliu

Makarov

Bickell

Sweatt

Versteeg

Dowell

Fraser

Bertram

Blunden

Brophey

Davis

Berti

Kyle Beach may or may not make it, if he doesn't he'll go back to juniors.

Sindel......what's his status?

Greenop will more likely start off at his junior team as well.

With this crop alone, DT can make a good deal for a 2nd line winger to help out Lang and Havlat.

I have my lines as:

Sharp - Toews - Kane

XXXX - Lang - Havlat

Ladd - Bolland - Byfuglien

Eager - Burish - C. Adams

Thoughts???

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 18, 2008 -> 04:43 PM)
I personally believe #7 should be retired, and the announcement should be at Wrigley on January 1st.

Respectfully disagree.

Chelios played for two other teams, won Cups with those teams, won zero Cups here.

Plus, I personally think he's a cheap-shotter who never stood up to anyone his own size.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 18, 2008 -> 06:04 PM)
Updates from opening cermonies of the convention:

#3 to be retired this season for Pilote/Maggy

Your new captain is #19 (for the next 10+ years)

Pilote is a play-based retirement, Maggy is sentimental but I'm okay with it.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 18, 2008 -> 06:04 PM)
Updates from opening cermonies of the convention:

#3 to be retired this season for Pilote/Maggy

Your new captain is #19 (for the next 10+ years)

The Convention was so awesome, it was great seeing all the players come out it was well done. Nothing could beat the roar when Toews got the 'C'