Official 2008-2009 NHL Thread

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 19, 2008 -> 12:11 PM)
Patrick Kane just got even better.

Well, not really...it just is reinforcing the fact that the refs should be quicker to blow it down for an interference call, and do away with unnecessary contact.

I don't really see this effecting players and making them better, just attempting to protect against injury.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 06:38 AM)
He has proven everything he can at that level. Hopefully he does well.

John Anderson has absolutely paid his dues - and I'm glad it's Atlanta giving him his shot - as he's very familiar with their roster since he's coached almost all of them coming through the system over the years.

Rumors that Jokinen could be dealt to the Wild, the Sedin Twins are available, and Marleau's still on the block, depending on what happens with Brian Campbell.

Jokinen and Toews as a 1-2 punch down the middle would be very tempting, but then you'd have to use Robert Lang as a #3 center, and that's not his role.

If you could trade Lang for a draft pick (say a 2nd rounder), and then trade the 1st for either Marleau or Jokinen, I would look into that possibly.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 09:31 AM)
Rumors that Jokinen could be dealt to the Wild, the Sedin Twins are available, and Marleau's still on the block, depending on what happens with Brian Campbell.

Jokinen and Toews as a 1-2 punch down the middle would be very tempting, but then you'd have to use Robert Lang as a #3 center, and that's not his role.

If you could trade Lang for a draft pick (say a 2nd rounder), and then trade the 1st for either Marleau or Jokinen, I would look into that possibly.

If the Hawks can get Jok for the right deal, it'd be fantastic. Jok is one hell of a hockey player and would be the other top end forward we need to get to the next level.

And yeah, Tony's right, if that happens, Lang would be flipped somewhere. The return probably wouldn't be very good, but that's not a big deal. But he is a guy a team would take because his contract status isn't bad.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 19, 2008 -> 10:48 PM)
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=241180&lid...s=headlines_nhl

A well deserved shot for Johnny. I wish him the best, that's for sure.

Thrashers are denying the report:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-20-...0,7957900.story

What the f*** does Anderson need to do to get a chance? All he's done at the IHL and AHL level is win.

Maybe they're just denying it until after the draft.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 10:39 AM)
Thrashers are denying the report:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-20-...0,7957900.story

What the f*** does Anderson need to do to get a chance? All he's done at the IHL and AHL level is win.

Maybe they're just denying it until after the draft.

Wow, that's sad. He deserves a shot.

Although, Brad McCrimmon was supposed to have Atlanta wrapped up. I know Brad... he's a good hockey guy. But so's Anderson.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 11:22 AM)
If the Hawks can get Jok for the right deal, it'd be fantastic. Jok is one hell of a hockey player and would be the other top end forward we need to get to the next level.

And yeah, Tony's right, if that happens, Lang would be flipped somewhere. The return probably wouldn't be very good, but that's not a big deal. But he is a guy a team would take because his contract status isn't bad.

Florida doesn't have a 1st round pick also.

The 11th plus say Kontiola I'd be dangling right now, I'd still like to hang onto Skille for the moment.

But getting Jok would push this team into a bonafide playoff team next season, especially if then the Hawks could dump Lang and sign Brian Campbell, that would be nuts.

Jokinen and Toews would argubly be a top 5 1-2 center punch down the middle, and to think for years and years one of the main problems of this team was that they didn't have a bonafide #1 center.

But do the Hawks do that? Apparently Calgary wants to move up and maybe dangling Alex Tanguay? Edmonton also.

Or do the Hawks just stay at 11 and pick up Beach or one of the good defensive prospects on the board?

Going to be an interesting night.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 03:00 PM)
And Ovechkin makes $9.5M a season right?

Be hard to turn that down, but he's not going to be playing with Sidney Crosby's over in Russia either.

My guess is he'll stay for sure.

The tax-free part makes the 12.5 that much more alluring.

Plus the opportunity to play close to home might enter into it (I don't know if that matters to him or not).

He may not play with Sidney Crosbys in Russia, but he'd BE Sidney Crosby in Russia.

I know I'd rather play in the NHL, but this offer will definitely be a healthy bargaining chip if nothing else.

Another twist is the comment from the president of the Russian Ice Hockey Federation, saying the Continental League could be open for "penalties" if they pursue Malkin. This should get more interesting in the next few weeks.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 05:11 PM)
Stamkos just tried to hug me.

I'm surprised you weren't one of the 5282 he did hug. :lolhitting

Doughty to LA

Bogosian to ATL

Pietrangelo to STL

Leafs trade their first this year, and then either their 3rd this year and 2nd next year, or their first this year, and either their 2nd this year and 3rd next year.

Schenn to TOR

Blue Jackets trade 19th overall pick and their 3rd to Philadelphia for RJ Umberger and their 4th next year.

Filatov to CLB

Islanders trade the 7th pick to Nashville for the 9th overall and the 40th overall pick.

Wilson to NSH

Boedker to PHO

Bailey to NYI

Hodgson to VAN

Beach to CHI (us)

Edited by whitesoxbrian