Official 2008-2009 NHL Thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Jul 18, 2008 -> 09:29 PM)
Get any pictures by chance?

Took some but none of them were good. The Ballroom was just so dark and the only light was from the chandeliers which seemed bright but none of the pics came out. I didnt stick around for autographs as it was out of control and I was ok with that

CRAWFORD RE-SIGNS WITH THE BLACKHAWKS

Goalie returns to Chicago organization for fourth season

Chicago, Ill.- Chicago Blackhawks General Manager Dale Tallon announced Monday that the National Hockey League club has re-signed goaltender Corey Crawford for the 2008-08 season.

In 55 games with the Rockford IceHogs in 2007-08, Crawford finished third in the AHL with 29 wins and had a 2.83 goals against average with a .907 save percentage. The Montréal, Québec native was a vital component of the Rockford IceHogs first-round win over the Houston Aeros in the 2008 Calder Cup playoffs, allowing more than one goal in a game just once. He posted a 2.27 GAA and .921 save percentage in 741 minutes in the postseason.

The 23-year-old was drafted by the Blackhawks #52 overall (round 2) in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft. He has played in 163 AHL games with an 89-60-10 record, 2.79 GAA and .909 save percentage. In seven games with the Blackhawks, he has a .915 save percentage and has allowed 13 goals. He has six career professional shutouts.

The workhorse netminder finished sixth in the AHL in 2007-08 in appearances despite spending three weeks with the Blackhawks in relief of an injured Nikolai Khabibulin. It was his sixth consecutive season with 50 or more games played stretching back to his second year with the Moncton Wildcats of the Québec Major Junior Hockey League.

During his stint with the Blackhawks last season, Crawford notched his first NHL win, a 19-save shutout over the Anaheim Ducks. He also made a career-high 44 saves against Detroit on March 11, 2008. In his third career re-call, he had a .929 save percentage and 2.14 GAA in five contests

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 22, 2008 -> 11:25 PM)
This is what the set-up will be like for the outdoor game.

winterclassiclayout-2.jpg

If you're in one of the top rows behind home plate in the upper deck, have fun seeing nothing.

This is why every seat at Soldier Field is a good one in terms of having a hockey game there.

That looks terrible. Obviously, I don't think that the field will be in place underneath, but it was just a bad decision. Soldier Field would have been much better.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 22, 2008 -> 11:56 PM)
It may end up looking like that in the end, but that layout you posted isn't official.

Media-day was today to announce it, and they showed it like that, so yes, it is official.

IMO, it should move closer to home yet in the same position, so the mound would center it.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 12:24 AM)
Media-day was today to announce it, and they showed it like that, so yes, it is official.

IMO, it should move closer to home yet in the same position, so the mound would center it.

The press conference was today? Thanks for the update

Bettman said it wasn't official and location is TBD.

Either way, there will be tons upon tons of s*** seats.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 22, 2008 -> 11:37 PM)
The press conference was today? Thanks for the update

Bettman said it wasn't official and location is TBD.

Either way, there will be tons upon tons of s*** seats.

Didn't he say 3 weeks ago that the game being in Chicago wasn't official, either?

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 22, 2008 -> 11:47 PM)
Um, because that's a really great comparison?

Now you're grasping.

Why isn't it?

He said the outdoor game wasn't official when everyone knew it was going to happen, and now they set up the rink in the outfield the same way my picture showed and now he's saying it isn't official.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 04:10 PM)
Why isn't it?

He said the outdoor game wasn't official when everyone knew it was going to happen, and now they set up the rink in the outfield the same way my picture showed and now he's saying it isn't official.

If you really can't see the difference, then I can't really help you.

I wonder if they will put in temporary bleachers like they used to do for Bears games. I do know rooftops will be operating. I would be nervous shelling out money without an official location of the rink. there has to be several rooftops where the view would be obstructed.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 08:47 PM)
I wonder if they will put in temporary bleachers like they used to do for Bears games. I do know rooftops will be operating. I would be nervous shelling out money without an official location of the rink. there has to be several rooftops where the view would be obstructed.

Agreed. Also, I would think they will be putting in a lot of temporary seats on the field for more revenue.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 04:10 PM)
Why isn't it?

It's been said that the rink could be shifted once they check out sight angles and TV camera angles. Makes sense to me.

Blackhawks Add Pelletier In Trade With Boston Chicago Blackhawks Press Release Jul 24, 2008, 12:00 PM EDT

Pascal Pelletier

The Chicago Blackhawks announced today they have acquired center Pascal Pelletier (5-11, 190) from the Boston Bruins in exchange for center Martin St. Pierre (5-9, 187).

Pelletier, 25, made his National Hockey League debut last season with the Bruins and was held scoreless in six games. The Labrador City, New Foundland, native spent the majority of last year in the American Hockey League where he led the Providence Bruins with a career-high 37 goals and a career-best 75 points in 73 regular-season contests. He also dished out a career-most 38 assists before leading Providence with 12 points in 10 playoff tilts.

A four-year pro, Pelletier appeared in 206 regular-season matchups with Providence over the last three seasons, registering 71 goals, 99 assists and 170 points. He has also netted 69 points (28 goals, 41 assists) in 88 career ECHL contests with the Louisiana IceGators (2004-05) and Gwinnett Gladiators (2005-06). Prior to making his professional debut during the 2004-05 campaign, Pelletier racked up 288 points (112 goals, 176 assists) and 489 penalty minutes in 257 career QMJHL games spanning four seasons with Baie-Comeau and Shawinigan (2000-04).

St. Pierre, 24, has appeared in 21 games with Chicago over the last three seasons, collecting one goal, four points and eight penalty minutes. He ranked second in the AHL with 67 assists and 88 points in 69 matchups with the Rockford IceHogs last year.

About time for some NHL News

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=244659&lid...os=secStory_nhl

SUNRISE, Fla. - The Florida Panthers avoided arbitration by agreeing to terms on a one-year, $4.875 million contract with defenceman Jay Bouwmeester on Monday.

Sources tell TSN that the Panthers were interested in a longer term deal, but Bouwmeester wanted to do a one-year deal because he can become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the 2008-09 season.

"We are pleased to have reached an agreement with Jay," Panthers general manager Jacques Martin said in a statement. "He has played an important role on our team over the last five seasons, logging significant ice time while contributing at both ends of the ice.

"While we recognize that arbitration was an option, we were always confident we would reach a mutually acceptable contract with Jay. We look forward to his continued growth and future contributions to our organization."

Bouwmeester, 24, played in Florida's 82 games last year, ranking first among NHL defencemen in ice time (27 minutes, 28 seconds per game). He also recorded a career high 15 goals.

The six-foot-four, 215-pound defenceman has certainly been durable, having played in all 82 games for Florida the past three seasons.

Bouwmeester has played in 389 career NHL games, all with Florida. He has 38 goals and 123 assists with 261 penalty minutes.

The Panthers drafted Bouwmeester, a native of Edmonton, third overall in the 2002 NHL Entry Draft.

so now either Jay B gets traded this off-season which might be easier for them now that he has a contract, the deadline, or the Panthers let him walk away with nothing for it.

link

Blackhawks Name Haviland Assistant Coach

July 28, 2008

CHICAGO - The Chicago Blackhawks of the National Hockey League announced the hiring of two-time Kelly Cup winner Mike Haviland as an assistant coach.

The 41 year old is one of two coaches to lead two different teams to the Kelly Cup championship, having won the ECHL title in 2003 with Atlantic City and in 2005 with Trenton.

He was named AHL Coach of the Year in 2006-07 after leading Norfolk to the best record in franchise history - 50-22-8. Eight former ECHL coaches have won the AHL award including seven times in the last eight seasons.

Haviland won 40 games or more and qualified for the postseason in all seven seasons as a head coach. In four seasons in the ECHL his teams were 172-81-35 during the regular season and 36-19 in the Kelly Cup Playoffs. He has coached Chicago’s American Hockey League affiliate the last three years going 137-77-26 in the regular season and 9-13 in the playoffs.

Haviland began his coaching career with Trenton working an assistant coach during the team’s first two seasons after recruiting players for the team before its began play in 1999-2000.

The Middletown, N.J. native was named ECHL Coach of the Year by The Hockey News after his first season with Atlantic City in 2001-02 and he was twice voted by his peers to be a coach in the ECHL All-Star Game, helping lead the Northern Conference to an 8-2 win in 2003 and the National Conference to a 6-2 win in 2005. 

Haviland, who was chosen by the New Jersey Devils in the 1990 NHL Supplemental Draft, played in the AHL with Binghamton in 1989-90, and in the ECHL with Richmond and Winston-Salem in 1990-91. He helped Elmira College capture two Eastern College Athletic Conference Division III West titles and was named First Team All-America and team MVP in 1989-90 after scoring 51 points (27g-24a) in 23 games.

Obviously I like this move, Haviland is a players coach and has a history of success wherever he's gone. He should be good with the youngsters on the roster, of which there will be plenty, considering he's been coaching many of them the past three years.

Edited by Steve9347