Official 2008-2009 NHL Thread

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 08:51 PM)
I like the Beach pick. With the Hawks farm, they are able to take a chance on a player like Beach, and hope he turns into a star. It's a decent gamble at 11.

I am however, pissed about the OJ trade. From what I read earlier, the only way FLA was doing business with the Hawks was if Toews or Kane were involved, which obviously would be an overpay. However, that is far from what FLA got from the Yotes. You're telling me a rebuilding team like Florida wouldn't have taken the 11th overall pick, and Barker, or Ballard and Boyton and a 2nd rounder?

I don't think we even need Beach to turn into a star. I'll take a better offensive Sean Avery in 3-5 years from him. He's going to be a more offensive Adam Burish from the beginning, but eventually he's going to net about 25-35 goals, if he stays out of trouble.

I agree. How can that dirt bag tell DT he wanted Kane or Toews, only to go trade for Ballard and a bag of pucks? Florida- say hello to the #1 pick in the 2009 draft.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's no secret the Hawks will make a serious play on July 1 for puck-moving defenseman Brian Campbell should he not re-sign with San Jose and reach free agency.

But a hot rumor at the draft was the Hawks' apparent serious interest in signing winger Marian Hossa, who is believed to be looking for a bigger offer than the one he had on the table from Pittsburgh worth $49 million over seven years.

from dailyherald.com

:headbang

1. Marian Hossa, RW

Arguably one of the most talented offensive players available this summer, Hossa will command a pretty penny.

2007-08: 72GP | 29G | 37A | 66PTS

Est. 2008-09 Salary: $8,700,000 Pittsburgh, Boston, Montreal, San Jose, Chicago, NY Rangers

4. Brian Campbell, D

Speaking of the best, Campbell's arguably the most attractive defenseman on the market this summer.

2007-08: 83GP | 8G | 54A | 62PTS

Est. 2008-09 Salary: $6,000,000 San Jose, New Jersey, NY Rangers, Chicago

5. Kristian Huselius, RW

Despite a slow second-half, Huselius' offensive abilities will attract a lot of interest on the open market.

2007-08: 81GP | 25G | 41A | 66PTS

Est. 2008-09 Salary: $5,000,000 Calgary, Montreal, Toronto, Pittsburgh, Vancouver, Chicago

10. Mark Streit, D

After a breakout season, Streit is due for a nice raise. The Habs want him back, but he might ask for more than they're willing to pay.

2007-08: 81GP | 13G | 49A | 62PTS

Est. 2008-09 Salary: $3,750,000 Montreal, Chicago

16. Ron Hainsey, D

After solid back-to-back seasons with the Blue Jackets, Hainsey's likely to receive a solid raise with someone.

2007-08: 78GP | 8G | 24A | 32PTS

Est. 2008-09 Salary: $3,000,000 Columbus, Chicago, Buffalo, Carolina

from TFP on who we're interested in.

The window has opened early on Brian Campbell's free agency, and the Rangers have been given permission to take a peek.

Actually, the Rangers have been granted permission by San Jose GM Doug Wilson to do more than peek. The Post has learned that the Blueshirts have been authorized to talk with the impending free-agent defenseman, an opportunity of which Glen Sather is believed to have already taken advantage.

Campbell, whom the Sharks obtained from Buffalo at the Feb. 26 trade deadline for Steve Bernier and the 26th pick in this weekend's draft, is just the type of smooth-skating, puck-moving, power play-quarterbacking defenseman the Rangers seek.

from sportsnet.ca :chair

The Chicago Blackhawks could be one of the busiest teams once July 1 rolls around, as they are expected to pursue both Marian Hossa and Brian Campbell.

With plenty of cap space and the desire to bolster their roster, the Blackhawks will pitch long-term offers to both Hossa and Campbell as soon as they are able to do so.

"Chicago has a good shot at both guys, if they aren't re-signed with their respective teams," a league executive told TFP this weekend.

On Friday night, Hossa rejected a long-term proposal made by the Pittsburgh Penguins and his agent, Ritch Winter, notified the team that his client will test the open market.

According to a source, Hossa would be interested in playing for the Blackhawks if they presented him with "the right deal."

Campbell, on the other hand, is interested in re-signing with the Sharks, but if the two sides cannot agree to terms on a new contract, he will weigh his options and listen to what other teams have to offer.

from TFP

Go get 'em DT!!

I understand everyone's worries that getting both guys for probably $15 million combined will kill us in the long-run, but frankly, I think that's a load of crap. If we spend that $15, that means we'd go over this offseason's cap space by $7. Next offseason then, our cap space could be as high as $18, but with these 2 signings, it'd be as high as $11, which isn't so bad. Even then, we could sign a great goalie for $5-$6 per, or a solid back-up for Crawford if he progresses the way I think he will for $2-$4.

So like I said:

Go get 'em DT!!

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 01:46 PM)
I don't trust Tallon for one, and I also don't think the Hawks are in a position to throw a truck load of money at either player, which is what it would take to get a top tier FA to come to Chicago.

In the case of Hossa, I think he is just whoring himself out to the highest bidder. There is NOTHING wrong with that, I just don't see the Hawks being that bidder.

With Campbell, I think it will come down to the Rags and Hawks, with the Rags offering a better deal, and it's closer to where Campbell wants to be.

If I had to choose, I would much rather have Hossa on the Hawks, but it might be a blessing in disguise if the Hawks miss out on both.

You're sort of in the same state of mind as me it seems when it comes to DT. Until he makes a huge move, I'll take all of he and McD's comments about how there will be top tier FA's here as grains of salt.

I think if we miss out on Hossa which seems likely to me, I think we will get Campbell. If NYR offers him $8 a year, I think we'll go one better.

I think also that Campbell will end up with the Rags... IIRC he said something about wanting to return to the Northeast....for whatever reason. I also don't buy it yet that the Hawks are going to spend a lot of money on FA's....its still the Hawks. Hopefully they will prove me wrong but I am not holding out hope.

I think you all will be SHOCKED when you see the Hawks land Hossa. If he becomes a free agent he will become a Blackhawk. Rocky wants to make a splash, he wants the Hawks to seem like a real team, and this is his first chance to show it.

DT will make the offer if allowed.

Edited by Steve9347

I actually would rather Campbell than Hossa, and most people are going to think I'm crazy for that.

But IMHO, the 1 thing this team lacks to take them to the next level, is a top tier puck moving offensive d-man.

And I mean Keith and Seabrook are both very solid defenseman, but can you consider either guy to be a true #1?

Getting Campbell would improve our PP for sure. But I wouldn't go over $8M a season for him. He's very good, and could get you 60 points a season, but I don't think he's a $9M type of guy.

But one thing that you also have to consider with Hossa, what type of impact does he have on Marty Havlat? Put those 2 on a line with say Robert Lang down the middle (Kane - Toews and someone else on the top line possibly), and that would be a very strong #2 line.

But for once, it is nice to be linked majorly with the top 2 guys in free agency. It shows that ownership and management want to win a Stanley Cup, and they are going to bring in the right talent to do so.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 01:51 PM)
I think also that Campbell will end up with the Rags... IIRC he said something about wanting to return to the Northeast....for whatever reason. I also don't buy it yet that the Hawks are going to spend a lot of money on FA's....its still the Hawks. Hopefully they will prove me wrong but I am not holding out hope.

I'm just wondering how much cap space do the Rangers have ATM?

They may have to let Jagr go if they signed Campbell, because I remember they gave big contracts to Chris Drury and Scotty Gomez last off-season.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 03:09 PM)

I was just coming here to post that.

Blackhawks Re-Sign Ladd

Chicago Blackhawks Press Release

Jun 23, 2008, 3:25 PM EDT

The Chicago Blackhawks announced today the team has re-signed forward Andrew Ladd (6-2, 201) to a two-year contract.

Ladd, 22, came to the Blackhawks via the Carolina Hurricanes in exchange for Tuomo Ruutu on Feb. 26, 2008. In 2007-08, he played in a total of 63 games with the Hurricanes and Blackhawks and totaled 14 goals with 16 assists for 30 points and 35 penalty minutes. In his three NHL seasons, Ladd has appeared in 157 games with Carolina and Chicago and has netted 62 points off 31 goals and 31 assists. He also has played in 17 NHL Playoff games, all with the Hurricanes in 2005-06 during their run to the Stanley Cup championship, yielding two goals and three assists. In the 2004 NHL Entry Draft he was Carolina’s top choice (fourth overall).

Good to hear on Ladd.

It'll be interesting to see if he's used as a top 6 forward or on the 3rd line though. But I liked what I saw of him in his time here, and power forwards like him do take time to mature.

There were rumors of the Canes trading Ruutu for Pitkanen also a few days ago FWIW.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 03:40 PM)
While Marty is the wildcard for the season right now, if a commitment is made to Hossa, it's going to be for 5-6 years. Unless Havlat wins the MVP this season, he won't be back with the Hawks next year. Hell, he may not even stick around the whole season this year.

I guess what I'm saying is if Hossa is signed, while this year is insanely important, it's about the long haul.

I was just explaining this to Slav. Marty has all the talent in the world, but I'm not counting on him even for next year. This team has to go forward assuming no Havlat and whatever we get is bonus.

I'd be shocked to see him on this team come the 09-10 season.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 04:06 PM)
I was just explaining this to Slav. Marty has all the talent in the world, but I'm not counting on him even for next year. This team has to go forward assuming no Havlat and whatever we get is bonus.

I'd be shocked to see him on this team come the 09-10 season.

I really don't want Havlat on the team this fall.

He's a very talented player when healthy, but haven't we had enough of the "when healthy" thing yet?

Let someone else wonder what might have been.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 10:38 AM)
What makes you think that? :mellow:

The reality is better teams will offer a lot of money which means the Hawks will have to put out the top dollar offer. They are at least more attractive than they have been in years past to FA's (where they really had to offer ridiculous money) but bottom line is if they offer comparable money there is probably a more conssitent cup contender out there he'd rather go to).

Not saying they have no chance because if you throw out a lot of money and mix in one or two big FA signings this year with the current young core you are talking about an improved team but the reality is until they upgrade the goalie position you aren't talking about a cup contender (Khaby isn't a stanley cup goalie anymore). So you go out and sign these two guys, you better have a plan on how your going to find your cup goalie next year (Crawford isn't it or at least not in the near future).

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 10:49 AM)
You're sort of in the same state of mind as me it seems when it comes to DT. Until he makes a huge move, I'll take all of he and McD's comments about how there will be top tier FA's here as grains of salt.

I think if we miss out on Hossa which seems likely to me, I think we will get Campbell. If NYR offers him $8 a year, I think we'll go one better.

Getting into bidding wars with the Rangers is probably a bad idea. First off the Rangers are a better team and second off they have a crapload of money (not necessarily cap room, but they definately have an ownership willing to spend some serious dough) so if you offer a comparable deal it would be hard pressed for me to sign with the Hawks.

Hell, lets give a baseball analogy, say you are a player, would you sign a 5 yr 40M deal with the Drays (young, up and coming team but no recent winning/proven history) or a 5yr 37M deal with a team like the Angels/Yankees/Dodgers/Mets who have all been consistent playoff teams and continually are in a position to compete.

Personally speaking, assuming either way you are set monetarily, you'd probably lean hard to go with the team not named the Rays. Now you go from 5yr 35 to say 5 yrs 42-45M, well now I'm going to the Rays.

I'd personally go with Hossa. He's a bigger "star"/dominant player than Campbell. Plus, I think the Hawks should try to get Havlat hot early on and than sell him for something (if not sell him this off-season). The Hawks clearly need a legit defenseman but I still say they are a bit away so why not pick up a solid vet defenseman and work on turning Barker into that guy (or another in-house candidate) and save some of that money/talent to make a run at a big time goalie at the end of this upcoming season.

I think the key for this year is to pick up a star that can get you to the playoffs this upcoming season and be an integral piece to a cup contending team in 09 and beyond (09 may even be a bit early), but get Skille up/Barker ready, etc this year (plus Kane/Toews more experience) and get that playoff experience, than you upgrade the goalie position and pick up another key piece (maybe a top notch defender if it doesn't look like the in-house guys will develop) and be ready to go from there.

I personally think that UFA Michal Rozsival would be a great addition to the Hawks. He can move the puck out of his own end and is only 28 years old.

Sign Hossa, let the Rangers bid up Campbell, and then steal Rozsival from them. You can sign 3 players, including Rozsival, for the price Campbell would warrant.

Also, Jose Theodore is a UFA (at least according to the site I'm looking at)... he enjoyed quite the renaissance last year, and though I doubt the Hawks would sign him with Khabby under contract still, he'd be a nice look at just 30 years old.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 07:27 AM)
I personally think that UFA Michal Rozsival would be a great addition to the Hawks. He can move the puck out of his own end and is only 28 years old.

Sign Hossa, let the Rangers bid up Campbell, and then steal Rozsival from them. You can sign 3 players, including Rozsival, for the price Campbell would warrant.

Also, Jose Theodore is a UFA (at least according to the site I'm looking at)... he enjoyed quite the renaissance last year, and though I doubt the Hawks would sign him with Khabby under contract still, he'd be a nice look at just 30 years old.

Rozsival wouldn't be bad, either. I think he'll cost probably around 3-5 a year, but I'll still take Liles over Roszival if we're not going to get Campbell. Liles would probably cost us only 3.5-4.5 a year, and he's probably the 2nd or 3rd best PP QB on the market.

Again, I'd love to sign Hossa.

I've sort of been preaching about Theodore for a while now, but it seems we're pretty content at goalie right now. I think whoever signs him is only going to give him a 1 year deal, but then next offseason guys like Ryan Miller and Martin Biron are UFA's and so I'd take them over Theodore any day.