Official 2008-2009 NHL Thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 02:28 PM)
So Brian Burke is leaving Anaheim as their GM.

The rumors mill is overblown that he's headed to Toronto, but I wonder if the Hawks would fire Tallon and appoint Burke in his place?

I said months ago the Hawks would nab Burke when they got the chance. Here's their chance, and they'll get him.

So, I finally got my chance to buy the Winter Classic seats today. All of the seats in the $200 and $300 we're sold out outside of the limited view seats. So I ended up with 2 seats in the $75 level.

If my seats we're for a Cubs game they'd be great, hockey not so much!

QUOTE (Mr. Showtime @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 06:15 PM)
So, I finally got my chance to buy the Winter Classic seats today. All of the seats in the $200 and $300 we're sold out outside of the limited view seats. So I ended up with 2 seats in the $75 level.

If my seats we're for a Cubs game they'd be great, hockey not so much!

Are you going to go to the game, or are you re-selling to pay off some of the season ticket costs?

QUOTE (The Critic @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 05:38 PM)
Are you going to go to the game, or are you re-selling to pay off some of the season ticket costs?

Personally, I'm not planning on going. My girlfriend wants to go to the game badly, she's planning on going with her sister. However, I'm going to keep an eye on the 'market', and if it makes sense to sell it, I'll just do that.

Great game to be at, good effort even though the Bruins had the upper hand the last half of the game.

Habby was oustanding.

Sick move by PJ on the game winner.

And yes, I was fine with Bolland, he's been sick in shootouts in practice, Sharp already missed, Havlat doesn't do much minus his backhand move, and Bolland's move was actually really good. Thomas made a great save to get his skate to the post in time.

Thomas just saw the puck really well tonight, he was good per usual.

Edited by IlliniKrush

Khabibulin was flat out ridiculous last night. That may have been the best game I've seen from a goaltender in this town since Ed Belfour left. I personally think any team in need should be calling DT non-stop until Khabby is theirs. However, trading 'Bulin might no longer be the best move this team could make.

On another note, someone needs to come in and teach our players what to do in shootouts and penalty shots. Sharp should have ended this game on that OT penalty shot, and not scoring there is unacceptable. MAKE A DAMN MOVE! All of our players come in and shoot the puck. Make a move, channel the old Tony Amonte move where he flew in from the side, slammed on the brakes, and stuffed the puck into an empty net. That was some sick s***... the amount of ice he sprayed in the air was un-matched. Or you could do the old Zhamnov

. Ok, so it really was a Forsberg thing, but I think Alex was better at it.

Seriously though, make some sort of move, there's no need to just try to beat the tender with a wrist shot when you can make any move you want.

It all depends on what the goalie is giving you, and his strengths and weaknesses. Sharp was going 5 hole, if he scores there, no one is complaining. And unacceptable to miss? Cmon, you are better than this. Goalies stop more than they let in in penalty shots.

Thomas proved he was very good laterally. There's no problem with shooting. Deking for the sake of deking is pointless.

...How did Kane score? How has Toews scored this season?

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 07:10 PM)
It all depends on what the goalie is giving you, and his strengths and weaknesses. Sharp was going 5 hole, if he scores there, no one is complaining. And unacceptable to miss? Cmon, you are better than this. Goalies stop more than they let in in penalty shots.

Thomas proved he was very good laterally. There's no problem with shooting. Deking for the sake of deking is pointless.

Dude, I don't care what you say. The ability to score on a shootout is much easier if you get the goaltender out of his butterfly position before you shoot. Not making a move let's him control what happens. If you deke, you get him on his ass and have an entire net to play with...

I want creativity like this insane goal. Wait and watch the slow-mo to see how insane it was...

I know, it's ridiculous, and probably doesn't work 9/10 times. That one above was a joke. But seriously, deke some motherf***ers!

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 02:18 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=1793917:date=Nov 13, 2008 -> 07:10 PM:name=IlliniKrush)-->
QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 07:10 PM)
<!--quotec-->It all depends on what the goalie is giving you, and his strengths and weaknesses. Sharp was going 5 hole, if he scores there, no one is complaining. And unacceptable to miss? Cmon, you are better than this. Goalies stop more than they let in in penalty shots.

Dude, I don't care what you say. The ability to score on a shootout is much easier if you get the goaltender out of his butterfly position before you shoot. Not making a move let's him control what happens. If you deke, you get him on his ass and have an entire net to play with...

I want creativity like this insane goal. Wait and watch the slow-mo to see how insane it was...

I know, it's ridiculous, and probably doesn't work 9/10 times. That one above was a joke. But seriously, deke some motherf***ers!

Ideally I like deking over shooting, sure. However, doing what Toews has done what, 3 times this year? Scoring on the ice on a shot...works as well.

If the goalie goes back in his net and cheats that way, you have to shoot. At that point, deking won't accomplish much of anything. You'd be dumb not to shoot with the angle you have.

Edited by IlliniKrush