Official 2008-2009 NHL Thread

QUOTE (Dan @ Nov 19, 2008 -> 10:36 PM)
Jeff Hamilton is rippin' it up for the Wolves. I have always been a fan of the guy and thought it was a mistake to let him go.

He'll be a pretty good AHL player, he was pretty decent with the Hawks for the one season, but he's just not cut out for the NHL, especially as he's getting older. He's also been injured almost the entire season.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair, Sopel was arugbly our most consistent defender last season behind Keith, and this season he's gone to s***.

But it would be nice to have his contract off the books ATM.

And I think Buff is a little overpaid at 3M a season also. Just shows how desperate the Hawks are for a power forward I guess.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 07:56 AM)
If Tallon trades Buf for Nylander.. as much as I like Nylander...Tallon needs to be run out of town or worse..WTF could he be thinking if he did that?

Plus Nylander's got what 2 years left on his deal?

Don't really see the difference b/w Nylander and Lang to be honest. Both soft European centers who aren't good at all defensively.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 09:41 PM)
I would hope they would get more than Nylander for Buff.

I think they need a player like Nylander (athough they had a player like Nylander, his name is Robert Lang) more than they need a guy like Byfuglien.

Still not sure how they'd make the money work, unless they send someone down to the IcePigs where his NHL salary wouldn't count against the cap.

Sopel, perhaps? That's make a bunch of us happy.

:D

I don't think Cap wise they can trade Buff for Nylander. Buff makes 3 Nylander is at 4.5 or so, and the Hawks are only a few hundred thousand under the cap. So someone else wold have to go back to WSH or to Rockford.

Who knows though, always ways to work the numbers.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 11:16 PM)
Kris Versteeg is a monster. Him, Doughty, and Ballard (sp?) have been the 3 best rookies so far.

Awesome 1-0-1 start to the road trip. Let's get 1 in Toronto on Saturday, eh?

They're 2-0-0, they won the shootout in Phoenix.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 10:45 PM)
With Nyles playing tonight for the Caps, I think Buff being hungover is probably more accurate.

The Bolland comments are the ones that are curious....

A few folks were saying the Caps may not have had enough skaters tonight without him in, I don't know how correct that is or not. Suppose we'll see in the next 24 hours.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 10:34 PM)
There is simply no way you can trade Bulin right now. No way.

This is the dilemma right here.

You always want, in theory, to deal a guy at his highest value point to get the most in return.

But Bulin is playing so well right now that it seems crazy to deal him.

However, if Tallon waits until Bulin cools off, his trade position weakens as well (unless someone's #1 guy gets hurt or something, but you can't really count on that).

Tallon has to decide what his priority is, short-term or long-term.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 11:22 PM)
It's the definition of a short-sighted trade. While I have enough faith in the organization to say comfortably Tallon won't be here by the time Toews-Kane-Keith are up for contracts, whatever GM inherits this cap mess is going to have quite the time finding a way to get the kids locked up.

Oh,and I don't totally buy into needing a ton of team toughness, especially in the "New NHL", but a trade of Nylander makes this club baby-s*** soft up front

Versteeg-Toews-Kane

Sharp-Nylander-Havlat

At least if we get Nylander back, we also get his sweet spokesperson skills... who can forget "MAGIK ENERGY DRINK"

I can't.

The thing that bothers me about the need for Nylander is... we had Robert Lang, who imo is exactly what this team is missing.

We had to trade him because Dale overspent on a goalie, who by all accounts has played decisively worse than the overpaid goalie we already had. You might say that the competition has spurred Khaby into "Good-Khaby" but I think the fact that he was in a contract year has been more incentive than anything.

Oh well, I think this is a playoff team regardless... but moving forward were still in a sticky cap situation.

BTW.... Eager > Buff. Eager doesn't have Bubba's big shot, but he is an impressive skater, uses his body more effective, and will probably contribute just as much offensively. I like Bubba, but I'd rather see Eager on the third line moving forward.